The officials today

There was some evidence today to support the view that officials can cost a team a game. I did notice that Iowa had a shot of scoring to make it 20-14 in the 4th quarter, then a phantom penalty stopped our drive. Also, look at the number of times big plays by Iowa were negated by penalties. Seems pretty strange.

3 or 4 bad calls against us today. The Castro PI was garbage. The holding call on 76 was garbage, his hands were inside. The low block by 77 was legal since know one else was engaged. Bad day for the officials
I forgot the PI on Bruce at the end. He was running the defender off the play, but the defender was mugging him. It didn't matter since Petras threw a 5 yard pass into the ground

Some people try to play the tough guy role on this issue.. but certainly in every sport the officials can cost teams the game - especially when the competition is tight and one or two plays can make the difference in the game.

My wife said "I'm all for equal rights but she (the female ref that kept throwing flags) needs to lose hers".
I try not to be sexist but it did seem she was making some bad calls that were right in front of her. I really don't like the officials when they huddle and discuss calls. If a ref. isn't certain about his call why would he make it. Sometimes I think they do it to justify the call, if they can get one other official to agree with them. Only the officials that saw the play should be discussing it.

The officials did not cost Iowa the game. But there were some really bad calls. As mentioned the clipping penalty on Connor Colby was a legal block. KF got into a heated argument over that with the officials. And the call against Logan Jones for playing to the whistle was outright ridiculous. If you're a coach how are you supposed to train your players to play? Same with Castro's pass interference call. There's more than that on almost any pass play.
I was at the game and I did think from what I saw on the board that the offensive PI against Bruce was a fair call.

Maybe Brian will totally lose it some day and take a swing at an official and that will be his demise.

Don't laugh. I saw Fran draw his fist back in Madison one night before he thought better of it. I was at the game but I've also seen pictures of it. I have no doubt that the thought went through his head even if for just a second or two.

Either I'm getting older and mellower ...
Or smarter.
Or I've already given up hopes for a magic year.

In the long past, I would have been livid and accusing the refs of all sorts of funny business. I think I started to calm down when I had tremendous irrational thoughts after the 2005 (?) Outback Bowl. The one against Florida. In my defense, the offsides call on the onside kick....

Anyway...
I think it was just bad officiating. Luck of the draw. Bad calls happen with regularity. Any other day, the bad calls could have gone against Michigan. Or been split. Or come at insignificant moments. Play enough football with enough significant moments and some day, you're gonna get screwed. It's statistics.

I do have some tinfoil hat fun with it though. If you're the OC of an ailing team and taking a pummeling by fans. One way out is to pay off the refs in a game most expect to lose. Not so much decide the game for you. More like...shave some points. Those were the perfect calls to make it look like the refs impacted the game without really changing the expected outcome. Boom. Fans are mad at the officials and not you as the OC.

I, of course, say this only jokingly.

3 or 4 bad calls against us today. The Castro PI was garbage. The holding call on 76 was garbage, his hands were inside. The low block by 77 was legal since know one else was engaged. Bad day for the officials

Yea. Usually I'm not one to bitch about the officials, but, this game every one of the calls killed a big play or drive for Iowa which could have really changed the game. All of them.

My wife said "I'm all for equal rights but she (the female ref that kept throwing flags) needs to lose hers".

Glad you and your wife stated this, because I was going to state they need to get her off the crew. I figured I'd take a big hit stating it, but I think people needed to have played the game at least to officiate. She has no understanding that 300lb linemen can't just stop their momentum. He never drove the guy into the ground. He blocked until the whistle and pancaked the guy which is completely legal.

She has no business being out their officiating a game she doesn't really understand, besides what she has read in "How To Officiate Football" books.

I try not to be sexist but it did seem she was making some bad calls that were right in front of her. I really don't like the officials when they huddle and discuss calls. If a ref. isn't certain about his call why would he make it. Sometimes I think they do it to justify the call, if they can get one other official to agree with them. Only the officials that saw the play should be discussing it.

They should be taught to only call them if they are obvious. Not close, but obvious. I think they anticipate calls too much and throw the flag.

Yea. Usually I'm not one to bitch about the officials, but, this game every one of the calls killed a big play or drive for Iowa which could have really changed the game. All of them.
Not every drive. Following the call against Logan Jones (which never should have been called) we scored a touchdown. Doesn't make the call any better though.

She should be reffing D3 women's soccer on ESPN5.
She should be officiating games Beth Mowins is announcing.

Some rules have Grey areas that are open to interpretation from one official to the next.

It's similar to when a basketball player first puts it on the floor. There are subtle shuffles with the feet that some officials will interpret as traveling.

The officials did not cost Iowa the game. But there were some really bad calls. As mentioned the clipping penalty on Connor Colby was a legal block. KF got into a heated argument over that with the officials. And the call against Logan Jones for playing to the whistle was outright ridiculous. If you're a coach how are you supposed to train your players to play? Same with Castro's pass interference call. There's more than that on almost any pass play.
I was at the game and I did think from what I saw on the board that the offensive PI against Bruce was a fair call.
You may be right about the call, but two receivers crossing each other to “screen” is run multiple times per game and rarely called. Very rarely.

You may be right about the call, but two receivers crossing each other to “screen” is run multiple times per game and rarely called. Very rarely.
I would agree with your point. And I really did not get a great look at it so you may well be correct.

Latest posts