The Official Western Carolina...Who?....Game Thread

Not a good 2nd half by players / coaches. A bottom feeding team had way more positive energy. That's how players get hurt, see Kreiner, Connor. Bohannon seems to have little interest in moving on offense. Dailey didn't contribute on either end.

Let’s be honest — this team isn’t that good. It’s going to struggle in the B1G and will quickly fall out of the rankings.

Would not expect to see Fran improve his in-conference record over previous years.

Not a good 2nd half by players / coaches. A bottom feeding team had way more positive energy. That's how players get hurt, see Kreiner, Connor. Bohannon seems to have little interest in moving on offense. Dailey didn't contribute on either end.
It looked like 2017/2018 in the second half. The other day I watched MSU play a nobody and the reserves were playing poorly. Izzo called a time out and read them the riot act. They came back out of the time out and put the clamps on the other team. I'm not one to be over critical of a coach but in this instance Fran missed a chance to teach and he didn't. Bad play becomes bad habit. Fran has trouble coaching the end of games anyway, witness the Wisconsin game and plenty of others. I'm apprehensive about what will happen after conference play begins in earnest.

Let’s be honest — this team isn’t that good. It’s going to struggle in the B1G and will quickly fall out of the rankings.

Would not expect to see Fran improve his in-conference record over previous years.

I don't want to come off as a negative Nancy but I don't think we are worthy of our top 25 ranking either. I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa started 0-7 in Big Ten play. Iowa has a decent team but the Big Ten is up this year and it will be a struggle for them to reach the NCAA tournament. The teams Iowa beat to get that ranking were not as good as everyone thought they were.

The team was obviously using the 2nd half as a pseudo practice. They were trying out different sets and different defensive set ups. They weren't working at all though so hopefully they don't use any of that in a real game.

The team was obviously using the 2nd half as a pseudo practice. They were trying out different sets and different defensive set ups. They weren't working at all though so hopefully they don't use any of that in a real game.
This is a good point. I think they were focusing on their half court offensive sets, and as you saw in the second half probably for good reason. For as good as an offensive team as this can be, sometimes watching their half court offense is cringeworthy.

That's not only dishonest, its a completely weak take on a team that is in the process of going 11-0 in the non con and has been ranked for 5 weeks in a row. Their only loses are to top 25 caliber opponents thus far. If you don't expect Iowa to win more than 4 B1G games this season, you haven't been watching, but I doubt you ever have.

It looked like 2017/2018 in the second half. The other day I watched MSU play a nobody and the reserves were playing poorly. Izzo called a time out and read them the riot act. They came back out of the time out and put the clamps on the other team. I'm not one to be over critical of a coach but in this instance Fran missed a chance to teach and he didn't. Bad play becomes bad habit. Fran has trouble coaching the end of games anyway, witness the Wisconsin game and plenty of others. I'm apprehensive about what will happen after conference play begins in earnest.

The main bad thing about the second half was they couldn't make a shot. Their defense was still pretty good (for them) and they weren't turning the ball over much. They just went ice cold. That was a pretty good time to go cold if you ask me.

They slept-walked through the second half, with little motivation. No worries on that. W. Carolina only lost by 7 to Wake at Wake and almost just beat some top 25 team.

The main bad thing about the second half was they couldn't make a shot. Their defense was still pretty good (for them) and they weren't turning the ball over much. They just went ice cold. That was a pretty good time to go cold if you ask me.
That wasn’t just cold shooting, that was horrible offensive execution. Again, I think they slowed it down and were trying to work on their half court sets, which isn’t the worst idea because their half court sets are pretty bad as we saw in that second half.

Iowa made 7 FGs in the 2H last night and was outscored by Western Carolina 31-30.

Again if you’re going to lay a stinker, that’s not a bad night to do it, but that was some ugly basketball.

That wasn’t just cold shooting, that was horrible offensive execution. Again, I think they slowed it down and were trying to work on their half court sets, which isn’t the worst idea because their half court sets are pretty bad as we saw in that second half.

The really good thing is they kept trying on defense for the most part. I would rather them suck on offense in a second half blowout than quit trying on defense. Something new at least.