The Official Spacenuts University vs Fran Solos Game Thread

I only saw the second half which is probably a good thing. Comments:

It is so much fun to see Iowa's defensive play and schemes frustrate an opponent. They seemed to enjoy it, especially when they put some press on with a lead, nice move.

Cook is an athlete, some of those dunks seem odd from a person with an Iowa jersey! I like his FT stroke.

Kriener and Garza are becoming confident!

Love to have Baer in there, smart player off the ball, Nickie Hustle.

Great win!

P.S.: Yes, credit to Fran to bring on a coach who can coach defense, albeit for a time?

Credit Fran for bringing in a defensive guru because he can't coach defense, or for finally realizing that his teams should play defense?
He's gonna need another 2 million per if he's going to be expected to coach on both ends of the floor. That's only fair.

We can applaud the defense now but just wait until we play another team that has a Carsen Edwards type player on the perimeter. I still say we are weak at stopping quick guards that can penetrate the lane and break down a defense.

The team defense has looked much better tho, but is that because of the defense or the teams they've been playing?

We can applaud the defense now but just wait until we play another team that has a Carsen Edwards type player on the perimeter. I still say we are weak at stopping quick guards that can penetrate the lane and break down a defense.

The team defense has looked much better tho, but is that because of the defense or the teams they've been playing?
When was Iowa above average at stopping teams with quick point guards?

He's still an idiot. A good coach fixes that during the season, last year. What else could Fran do? He was out of excuses. There was more than enough evidence in every one of the film sessions from last season.
I'll give the players the credit for putting in the work to fix it.
Yes! You are back, you know you missed me! Big win today, he had a 3 year guard transfer out last year unexpectedly and then Connor got hurt. Would have still been a wake up call on D but last year we were short pieces to be competitive. Not much you can do in season short players to be competitive. He gets all that blame. I still blame him for the roster construction. Fact is, he made changes. Changes you said couldn’t be made and Fran gets credit for this turn around. Go Hawks, thanks for unblocking me, I really never meant to get under your skin that much. Peace

This team should be seeing (and buying into) the effects of good D by now. D looked good all game but O looked hurried in the 1st half. 2nd half they played more their tempo and enjoyed fewer turnovers.

Long ways to go .........one at a time.

Credit Fran for bringing in a defensive guru because he can't coach defense, or for finally realizing that his teams should play defense?
You know as well as I do he’s had teams that have played good defense. He should get all the credit for this turn around since he got all the heat for last years demise. That’s how it works

You know as well as I do he’s had teams that have played good defense. He should get all the credit for this turn around since he got all the heat for last years demise. That’s how it works

This Iowa team isn't winning because of it's defensive prowess. I mean they are playing better D than last year, but it was impossible not to.

Iowa is looking this year like they should have looked last year. I am glad that it seems that Fran has righted the ship. It is a long season yet, there will be more ups and downs to come, hopefully they continue their improved play and make the NCAA tournament.

This Iowa team isn't winning because of it's defensive prowess. I mean they are playing better D than last year, but it was impossible not to.

Iowa is looking this year like they should have looked last year. I am glad that it seems that Fran has righted the ship. It is a long season yet, there will be more ups and downs to come, hopefully they continue their improved play and make the NCAA tournament.
And win a game!

Big win. Big big win. For as good of a record and resume as we have it's kinda weird that a lot of us are still walking on egg shells here. (I'm including me in that group but I'm trying to talk myself out of it) You'd think we should be pretty pumped with what the future may hold and what they might be capable of doing down the stretch. Granted there's a long ways to go here but we just beat a pretty good team and made it look like we should have beaten them worse. I just hope we stay healthy and Cook is alright. We are on thin ice in that department.

Big win. Big big win. For as good of a record and resume as we have it's kinda weird that a lot of us are still walking on egg shells here. (I'm including me in that group but I'm trying to talk myself out of it) You'd think we should be pretty pumped with what the future may hold and what they might be capable of doing down the stretch. Granted there's a long ways to go here but we just beat a pretty good team and made it look like we should have beaten them worse. I just hope we stay healthy and Cook is alright. We are on thin ice in that department.

I'm just a little leary because of the schedule we have to play yet. MSU, Michigan, Indiana twice and OSU on the road. Then you still have to play at Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin. The B1G is a meat grinder this year.

I thought a staff change would be required but it looks like bringing in a consultant was sufficient.

Hey now. Defense looked great today. But purdue game.... not so much. Improved, but i hope effort like that will be on display closing out feb.

I'm just a little leary because of the schedule we have to play yet. MSU, Michigan, Indiana twice and OSU on the road. Then you still have to play at Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin. The B1G is a meat grinder this year.

Thats why keeping this win streak going is so important. Maybe msu can have an off game while the iron is still hot. If they win the next three it would take a collapse to not make the tourny.

The PU game Luka was out, MSU is one of the best teams in the country, that’s a weak take, Iowa has a top 10 resume at this point compared to their peers. Your bad takes can’t change that

There’s no need to be hostile. We apparently just have different definitions on what the best teams in the country look like.

I only saw the second half which is probably a good thing. Comments:

It is so much fun to see Iowa's defensive play and schemes frustrate an opponent. They seemed to enjoy it, especially when they put some press on with a lead, nice move.

Cook is an athlete, some of those dunks seem odd from a person with an Iowa jersey! I like his FT stroke.

Kriener and Garza are becoming confident!

Love to have Baer in there, smart player off the ball, Nickie Hustle.

Great win!

P.S.: Yes, credit to Fran to bring on a coach who can coach defense, albeit for a time?
Cook is much better with a set shot than a jump show.

Same here.

Don’t get me wrong.....that was a good win yesterday and I have nothing but praise for Fran and the team. But we have seen them collapse before. I will withhold judgement for now.

Latest posts