The Odyssey of CJ's Helmet

STILLBUSTER

One of the all-time greatest reports ever produced by an HN staffer! The exchange between the "abductor" and the cop is pure brilliance ...

A: I was actually shocked that I made it all the way home with no run-ins, but about 10 feet outside my apartment door a police officer pulled his car over in front of me. He was about as nice and understanding as I could have ever hoped for. A rough transcript of the exchange is below, keeping in mind I was very much caught off guard and wasn’t at my cognitive peak:

Iowa City Police officer: “Excuse me, where did you get that helmet?”
Me: “The Iowa Store.”
Iowa City Police officer: “I’ve never heard of that. Where’d you get all those stickers?”
Me: “I put them on myself?”
Iowa City Police officer: “There’s about 10 helmets missing, and one of them is C.J.’s and that says #16.”
Me: “He’s my favorite player so I bought his stickers.”
Iowa City Police Officer: “You can either give me the helmet or I can arrest you.”
Me: “Here you go.”

Sadly, no one ever got a chance to drink from the helmet.

To paraphrase from Ickey ... LOL!!

This whole thing is simply awesome. I remember briefly seeing him leaving it behind during the madness after the field goal and wondering to myself how it was going to play out. To hear how it actually did play out is simply amazing lol.

The stunner for me was the cop giving the guy a set of options.

Of course the other guy "tasting" CJ's mouthpiece is right up there as well. Yikes!

Latest posts