The NIT is never a better option...

Yeah...the NIT really sucks. If I have to watch Bohannan, Cook, Pemsl, Baer, Moss, Kreiner, and Williams one more time and think about what they are going to be like next year...I'm going to freaking punch the wall. I'm tired of thinking about them making a run for a BIG Ten title over the next few years.

Yeah, I get tired of the "future is bright" talk, too, but what else can you do? I guess it would be easier if the last few seasons hadn't seen Feb/March meltdowns and Iowa had made a deep tournament run.

This is year what was expected - as I just posted elsewhere, my expectations for next year are definitely going to be higher.

The NIT is such a weird tournament in that some teams don't want to be there and get upset early. You also don't have much time to prepare as the brackets are announced on Sunday night and the first games are Tuesday and Wednesday.

I remember back in 2013 when Kentucky made the NIT as a 1 seed and lost in the first round to Robert Morris.

All that being said, the NIT isn't what we wanted, but its better than nothing and I will watch.

Maybe the NIT isn't so bad. Obviously we made it clear that we weren't ready for a conference tournament last night. So maybe playing other programs that missed out on the bid dance is exactly what they need to figure out what it takes to win in the post season.

Trouble is, Fran hasn't been ready apparently the last four years. Four consecutive BTT first game losses. And if I'm not mistaken, all while being a higher seed. Ugh.

People forget we weren't even in the NIT after the home loss to Illinois. We got what we earned and I will watch every game. I hope the team plays well and wins a few.

Trouble is, Fran hasn't been ready apparently the last four years. Four consecutive BTT first game losses. And if I'm not mistaken, all while being a higher seed. Ugh.

I believe it was Mike Hlas who tweeted last night that Iowa has lost to a double-digit seed in the BTT for the 4th straight year.

Yeah, I get tired of the "future is bright" talk, too, but what else can you do? I guess it would be easier if the last few seasons hadn't seen Feb/March meltdowns and Iowa had made a deep tournament run.

This is year what was expected - as I just posted elsewhere, my expectations for next year are definitely going to be higher.

We can all be tired of the "future is bright" talk, that doesn't make it not true.

and to the "we lost to a higher seed" and Fran can't coach in the BTT guy... history did not suit up in that game - the last 3 teams didn't impact this years team or the results in the BTT. I am not trying to defend Fran's BTT success, it's indefensible but can we stop with losing to the higher seed stuff... this is the Big Ten - the difference between a 10 seed and 3 seed is razor thin almost every year. Indiana has beat two # 1 seeds this season and had the toughest schedule in the conference - they may have been the higher seed but they were the more experienced, talented and better team with better wins.

The NIT is better than no post-season bid at all. It is like the Outback Bowl. It is not the "playoffs"

Remember, there are 350 teams in D-l: Only 100 make the NCAA or the NIT. The NIT matters, but it is not the NCAA tournament

We can all be tired of the "future is bright" talk, that doesn't make it not true.

and to the "we lost to a higher seed" and Fran can't coach in the BTT guy... history did not suit up in that game - the last 3 teams didn't impact this years team or the results in the BTT. I am not trying to defend Fran's BTT success, it's indefensible but can we stop with losing to the higher seed stuff... this is the Big Ten - the difference between a 10 seed and 3 seed is razor thin almost every year. Indiana has beat two # 1 seeds this season and had the toughest schedule in the conference - they may have been the higher seed but they were the more experienced, talented and better team with better wins.
Okay Jon, we get it

19 yr old kids who could be getting busy with SEC co-eds in Cancun are now stuck practicing for a game against a team full of kids who would rather be in Cancun getting busy with same SEC co-eds.

I am just as bummed out as the rest of you about our loss to Indiana and the elimination from the NCAA's. However, I will point our that the 64 or 68, whatever it is, teams that get into the NCAA are NOT all better than those who end up in the NIT. Take a look at the list of teams in the NCAA that get there as conference champs and estimate how many Iowa would probably beat. If there was an objective way to actually enter the top 64 teams in the country into the NCAA, it would be an interesting list.

It was pretty obvious that Indiana had more experienced talent than Iowa. Crean had a week to prepare for the hawkeyes. I think its a testament to how good the Iowa coaching staff is that the hawkeyes have been rated the higher seed for the tournament by the team that beat them the last four years. By the time the tournament comes, these teams know each other inside out. I think this team is better than last years team, and next years team will be better than this years team. I'm not trying to knock the hawkeyes or the coaching staff, but the last four teams have had a lot of holes the other teams could exploit given enough time to prepare for them.

I agree and the future IS bright.. Problem is, with Iowa basketball, it's always the future that's bright. Or when Iowa is having a big year, the team completely comes apart at the seams and it all goes down the drain. Meltdowns have a problem since Alford was our coach, for whatever the reason.

That is not an indictment on THIS team and I am NOT writing them off for next year or beyond - I just want to see the potential realized for once. And yes, NIT is what I expected for this season. I'm just tired of this Big Ten Tournament crap, and the way all-too-many seasons in the 21st century have gone. It's made me pretty skeptical. Seen this movie before. This is the year with no expectations where things go OK and reel you back in to the future, just to get kicked in the crotch. Sorry for being such a pessimist - I just need to see it all come together, finally.

As for the higher/lower seed stuff.. I get it, but if the margin is that thin, then it'd be nice to be on the giving end of those upsets sometimes instead of always being on the receiving end. History did not suit up last night, no - I don't believe in that. What I DO believe in is trends: Playing flat in these first round games, not playing good D, etc. That is what keeps getting us beaten, not history.

I'm not sure of the exact reason for it, but there is a reason for it. It's not just coincidence or bad luck when it happens every year.

Last edited:
I am just as bummed out as the rest of you about our loss to Indiana and the elimination from the NCAA's. However, I will point our that the 64 or 68, whatever it is, teams that get into the NCAA are NOT all better than those who end up in the NIT. Take a look at the list of teams in the NCAA that get there as conference champs and estimate how many Iowa would probably beat. If there was an objective way to actually enter the top 64 teams in the country into the NCAA, it would be an interesting list.

The top 4-8 teams in the NIT are likely overall better than about 8-16 teams in the Dance. The Hawks are most likely one of the top 64 teams in the country, as is Indiana, but alas, here we are. We are better than UNO, and had we won that game and one other, we'd be a lock, even with the first round bounce from the B1G.

2 weeks ago many didn't think we'd make the NIT, I was teetering on the edge of being in that group. It was brutal last night...but I am very interested to see if the team can bounce back and make a little run in the NIT, nothing will be a gimme.

We are so young. Any game experience as a group is a good thing. And any postseason experience is a good thing.

We are still young, but I find myself now using that as a little too much of an excuse at this point. After 30 game, the NIT and an off season of development, I will not be saying that next year. We won't be veteran, but the "young" theme won't carry much weight with me.

I agree with you all around.

We have watched JBo grow, Cook has started to rebound like we thought he would, Pemsl is a horse and Moss has sparks of great play along with the horrible play he seems to mix up. These games at the end of the season will help them continue to develop and give us a strong group next year. Baer will be a leader next year and playing as a team without counting on Jok will ultimately be a positive. Remember how these guys played the two games Jok was out. Additionally, I have been following Nunge and Garza and they will help not only protecting the paint next year, but will get us back in the game in rebounding. I love BB whether it be a pick-up game or NIT. Great progress can be made this time of the year. Lets enjoy the 2, 3 or 4 games left.

haha, I am an avid listener of the podcast and I do tend to find myself agreeing with him a lot.
He's becoming a massive black and gold glasses kind of guy. Listen to the podcasts but just recently got rid of the feed. Dude thinks Iowa athletics can do no wrong no matter how bad the performances are. To be honest, he's kind of turned into a tool.

Than the NCAA Tournament. I don't care if the Hawks up and win it. I don't care if they are young and potentially get more practices. I would rather be a 16 seed than NIT champion.

asinine /ˈæsəˌnaɪn/ adjective
Learner's definition of ASININE
[more asinine; most asinine] formal

: very stupid and silly
  • That is the most asinine [=foolish, ridiculous] joke I've ever heard.
  • a completely asinine question

He's becoming a massive black and gold glasses kind of guy. Listen to the podcasts but just recently got rid of the feed. Dude thinks Iowa athletics can do no wrong no matter how bad the performances are. To be honest, he's kind of turned into a tool.

So then, he would be the antithesis of OKST?

Latest posts