The next McCarron, Vandeberg, or Easley?

Hopefully Tracy. I can't think of any Iowa slot receiver with as much big playmaking ability as Tracy appears to have.

First off, Cooper saw a heck of a lot more snaps this year than Tracy (he was even in there often times INSTEAD of 1st team all Big 10 Noah Fant, for reasons unknown). Cooper was in street clothes at the Outback Bowl, so I would imagine that is why we saw more of Tracy.

Just as I hated to see Smith get so much pre-season hype before his freshmen & sophomore years only to see him disappoint, I hate to see Tracy get so much hype now. The guy has a grand total of 1 catch in his career, and that was in mop up time. Tracy's next best scholarship offers last year were Bowling Green and Ball State.

Until the Hawks can improve upon their embarrassing recruiting at the WR position, we cannot expect any better than Easely type players who are serviceable but will never be top 1/2 of the Big 10 caliber players.
Yeah Cooper didn't play a whole heck of a lot but there were a few games that he was in during times you wouldn't have expected it. He was in on a goal line play once I remember that was head scratching to me. Maybe a few other times where it made little sense as to why he was instead of some of the others. But he wasn't out there a whole heck of a lot either. He seems like a Vandeberg 2.0 type of kid. Not sure he has that same ceiling though. Time will tell

First off, Cooper saw a heck of a lot more snaps this year than Tracy (he was even in there often times INSTEAD of 1st team all Big 10 Noah Fant, for reasons unknown). Cooper was in street clothes at the Outback Bowl, so I would imagine that is why we saw more of Tracy.

Just as I hated to see Smith get so much pre-season hype before his freshmen & sophomore years only to see him disappoint, I hate to see Tracy get so much hype now. The guy has a grand total of 1 catch in his career, and that was in mop up time. Tracy's next best scholarship offers last year were Bowling Green and Ball State.

Until the Hawks can improve upon their embarrassing recruiting at the WR position, we cannot expect any better than Easely type players who are serviceable but will never be top 1/2 of the Big 10 caliber players.

WRONG

"Often"?

First, you might want to go back and watch the season again. Cooper was hurt for most of it. I think he played in five games.

Second, Iowa wasn't going to burn Tracy's redshirt with Easley, Smith and ISM being healthy and taking the majority of the reps at WR. He played more than anybody else in the slot besides Easley in the Outback because it was just his fourth game.

Thirdly, Tracy had offers from Illinois, Indiana, Louisville, Northwestern and Syracuse.

Rivals Profile

For somebody that breaks down every aspect of Iowa football and basketball like he's an expert, you should really do a little research.

Thanks for posting the actual facts and correcting the @IowaLawWasRight fallacies and outright lies.

I think we actually start to see more WR emphasis in the offense next year because we will finally be at a spot where the talent dictates we can do this. Smith and ISM are gonna be solid next year. Tracy has talent, but he is green so he will have ups and downs next year, but Cooper will be in his 3rd year and should be reliable in the slot as well. If Lockett and Ragaini are healthy, they could serve as decent backups.

Agreed. I think we are finally starting to see progress in the wr room. That says a lot, as it was in shambles. They have work to do, but you have to admit players and coaches are starting to get it done.

A bigger question might be, now that we have some wr's starting to look like wr's, does #2 qb start getting some snaps with the #1's? We are going to have a Sr qb and this fall I expect be it in practice or mop up time, we will get a glimpse at our future behind center.
Pretty exciting really. We get to see what the future center and qb look like and how they play together.
I'll say it again. 2019 is full of opportunity with this program. Let's hope everyone makes the best of it.

Yes, #2 QB needs not only mop up time if there is some next year but maybe 1 series in each half of most games. it is stupid to not prepare your #2 qb for in season injuries or the next year as the starter.

Seconded on Tracy. Guy's HS tape was electric. Though if we are able to flex him out wide that would open the door for Cooper, who has legit speed, or Ragaini, who's impressed the coaches.
Cooper has played plenty and hasn't done anything with his legit speed. Can't get open at all. He couldn't get open against NW and their 2nd string defensive backs, while Fant was sitting on the bench. Ragaini, looks to be the same. Tracy will play in the slot, but none of these guys will strike fear in any defense, especially without Fant and Hockenson. They couldn't with Fant and Hockenson when defenses had to account for those 2, without them I highly doubt our receivers will get open more successfully than they did this year. We lack a consistent playmaker anywhere on offense, anyone that is a threat any down to take one the distance. Maybe Tracy will emerge, his tape sure looks good, and hopefully Goodson can be that guy at rb if our offensive line improves a lot. Things will be even more difficult without Fant and Hockenson though.

I also hope Nate sends a lot of his passing tape to a guru and spends some time with said guru because Nate may have just a few mechanical flaws that can be fixed. I am no guru but I have noticed his windup is different sometimes, maybe a little loopy rather than just ball high and straight back past his earhole then throw it.
He is going into his 5th year in the program. At this point, these things are not going to get corrected. Why is KOK here? I thought it was to coach Nate?

"Often"?

First, you might want to go back and watch the season again. Cooper was hurt for most of it. I think he played in five games.

Second, Iowa wasn't going to burn Tracy's redshirt with Easley, Smith and ISM being healthy and taking the majority of the reps at WR. He played more than anybody else in the slot besides Easley in the Outback because it was just his fourth game.

Thirdly, Tracy had offers from Illinois, Indiana, Louisville, Northwestern and Syracuse.

Rivals Profile

For somebody that breaks down every aspect of Iowa football and basketball like he's an expert, you should really do a little research.

Maybe you should stop defending poor recruiting at wr. None of the guys we have are playmakers at the wr position. ISM is an excellent kick returner, but as far as receiver? He's not a threat, nor is Smith. Sure they'll make a play here and there, but they don't strike fear in any defense. Cooper? Come on, he was on the field a lot and never got open. Ragaini? See Cooper. Without Fant and presumably Hockenson for defenses to account for, things will be even worse this year. Every year its "Oh with another year of experience so and so will improve." Maybe, maybe not. Now maybe if we were bringing in some guys like David Bell, or someone like Moore from Purdue, then we could be a bit more excited about the position. However, KF fails to address needs at a position we need to address the most.

Maybe you should stop defending poor recruiting at wr. None of the guys we have are playmakers at the wr position. ISM is an excellent kick returner, but as far as receiver? He's not a threat, nor is Smith. Sure they'll make a play here and there, but they don't strike fear in any defense. Cooper? Come on, he was on the field a lot and never got open. Ragaini? See Cooper. Without Fant and presumably Hockenson for defenses to account for, things will be even worse this year. Every year its "Oh with another year of experience so and so will improve." Maybe, maybe not. Now maybe if we were bringing in some guys like David Bell, or someone like Moore from Purdue, then we could be a bit more excited about the position. However, KF fails to address needs at a position we need to address the most.

And maybe you should prepare your good-byes to everybody on this board. How's that sound?

giphy.gif

Samson Evans could either be a running back that's great at catching the ball out of the backfield, or a possession receiver that's great at getting yards after the catch. I used to go to church with his uncle, and he guaranteed me that Samson would help this team out a lot over his career.

"Often"?

Rivals Profile

Not to mention calling Brandon Smith "disappointing" in his sophomore season. I'd say anything but...

This is almost the exact same post you wrote a year ago. We were going to be so much worse because Wadley was our only playmaker. You were certain of it. Somehow, despite your prediction of impending doom, we went 9-4.

Hockensen, ISM, Smith and Easley all made huge improvements from last year. That's usually what another year of experience will do.

A year from now, you will write the exact same post again and predict impending doom for 2020.

Our wide receivers will be a strength in the 2019 season. They will get open, catch passes, present a downfield threat, and be effective blockers. Those of you who make fun of the coaches insistence that TE’s and WR’s have to block to play clearly know nothing about football. Try watching plays where running backs break long runs...oh, never mind. That would not fit your narrative.

Looking through stats, ISM literally doubled his production from his freshman year, and Smith went from 3 catches for 15 yards to 28 for 361 and 2, along with being a guy Stanley trusts on deep balls.

These guys are undeniably improving, and at a pretty good rate. It's not out of the question to see another bump in output, or to see a similar one from some of the other guys, with my money being on Tracy and maybe Cooper.

If we can see another TE step up into even an HKC like role, the passing game will be, dare I say, good in 2019.

"Often"?

Rivals Profile

Lolololol. Well played.

This is almost the exact same post you wrote a year ago. We were going to be so much worse because Wadley was our only playmaker. You were certain of it. Somehow, despite your prediction of impending doom, we went 9-4.

Hockensen, ISM, Smith and Easley all made huge improvements from last year. That's usually what another year of experience will do.

A year from now, you will write the exact same post again and predict impending doom for 2020.

If he does, it'll need to under yet another avatar.

"Often"?

Rivals Profile

I would also add that Smith didn't disappoint this year. In fact, I would say he was one of the most improved players year over year and from the beginng of the season to the end.

Latest posts