The next Iowa FB coach?

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
My guess is Kirk is in for at least another five years, barring injury or illness. If offensive production is on a markedly upward trajectory during that time the job is Brian's, and probably should be. If not, it will be a name we haven't even mentioned yet. None of the big name wish list coaches are coming to Iowa.

What do you tell the wife of an Ohio State coach with two black eyes?

Nothing. She's already been told twice. Urban will coach again. If Nick retires and we can't get Dabo to come to Bama, Urban will get a call along with Jimbo. There are only a few guys who check the national champion box that will be a pre-req to being Nick's successor.

Very bad joke, 1950's-ish and I love the way you say 'we' in reference to Bama. Were born there?

I'd hope Iowa would take a look at Mark Stoops. Pretty solid job building up the program at Kentucky. He recruits well (4 top 30 classes in a row now).
Stoops has Ohio connections and Ohio is pretty close to UK. He also gets a fair number of kids from the south. I doubt those recruits would come all the way to Iowa City.

Stoops has Ohio connections and Ohio is pretty close to UK. He also gets a fair number of kids from the south. I doubt those recruits would come all the way to Iowa City.

Yep. Gotta remember the level of brainwashing these kids have gone through as well. The kids being recruited now were born in like 2001 or 2002. In their memory span, they have seen the B1G win the national title once. They want to be in the SEC. The nice thing for Stoops, too, is that he is in the softer side of the SEC. UT is down, Florida is down, Missourrah is Missourah, the 'Cocks ain't very good and Vandy is Vandy. You drop a few games and you can still brag about being great just because you're in the SEC. Plus, Kentucky is a basketball school so football season is just icing on the cake for those guys. The number of deranged football fans they have is relatively low by SEC standards.

You might want to start preparing yourself. That's exactly what's being set up.

All I was saying is that even with the great Bill Snyder (who was and is a half notch above KF IMO), KSU still did not choose to hire his kid as HC after Bill's retirement. Iowa would be nuts to pull that bullshit.

Kirk seems emotionally worn down and exhausted to me. Time to let go and move on for his own mental health. Might be best for him to implement "War Plan Brian" which is in the AD's secret safe, and move on with a two game in a row bowl win streak, and an advisory role or something.

Of course, an exhaustive interviewing process will be conducted before the new HC is announced

Kirk seems the exact same to me as he did in interviews 20 years ago. He always has looked tired. He isn’t going anywhere

Mark Stoops would work.

If we have to have nepotism in the program, let it be the Stoops family instead of the Ferentz family

Right now Cornrich is finishing up the newest contract, which will contain a raise and extension, but also a clause appointing KF head of the search committee for his replacement. This guarantees an Augustin line of succession. Think of U of Iowa sports as entering a period like that after the death of the first Caesar. Goodbye to the Iowan Republic, say hello to the Ferentzian-McCaffrey Empire.

All I was saying is that even with the great Bill Snyder (who was and is a half notch above KF IMO), KSU still did not choose to hire his kid as HC after Bill's retirement. Iowa would be nuts to pull that bullshit.

His son's never been a coordinator though either if I remember correctly. If BF continues to be the OC for the next few years and the Hawks are winning, I believe he will get the job. I say that with one caveat....that prediction is as long as Barta is still the AD. Personally, I think Parker should be offered the position. And maybe they will do that THEN hand it off to BF. Not sure but I'd be surprised if they aren't setting it up to pass directly to Brian but that's pure speculation on my part (and a lot of people's).

Urban Meyer will want to prove that he can coach any team to the promise land. In 2 years Kirk retires, Brian OC for the Patriots and Urban takes the Iowa job. 2 years Big Ten Title, 4 years National Championship game. Mark it down....

Latest posts