The next Iowa FB coach?

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
Yes...I do believe that would leave enough in the budget for a generous sleeping bag allowance. I'm sure Jim would appreciate a fancy new one at every sleepover.
Maybe a two person sleeping bag so he can really get in touch with the recruit, plutonically of course!

I'd hope Iowa would take a look at Mark Stoops. Pretty solid job building up the program at Kentucky. He recruits well (4 top 30 classes in a row now).
I like that idea as well, but he's building something good at Kentucky and I think he's there for the long haul.

I'd hope Iowa would take a look at Mark Stoops. Pretty solid job building up the program at Kentucky. He recruits well (4 top 30 classes in a row now).
I said the same thing on this board yesterday and got jumped for it.

Last edited:
It simply cannot be BF. Even KSU did not go the nepotist route.
What a disaster that would be.
I would guess there is some "handshake" plan in place for BF to take over.

I would be stunned if that isn't the case, and would be stunned if BF isn't the new head coach at Iowa.

I don't think Kirk Ferentz is retiring anytime soon. I could see him coaching until at least 70. He is physically fit and seems to enjoy coaching.

Its the great conundrum of our time. We all want Iowa football to do well, but the better Iowa does the more likely it is that Brian gets handed the head coaching job on a silver platter

I was thinking about this today. What would be the best way for Kirk to retire and make sure his hand picked successor takes over?

He may need to take a page from Bob Stoops retirement guide and retire in June. I am guessing June 2020. By then it would be too late to search for an external candidate, so they will have to promote from within.

Which probably means Iowa would make Brian the interim coach, after Brian gets off to a 6-0 start, then they will make him the permanent coach and Iowa will finish at 7-5.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

I don't think Kirk Ferentz is retiring anytime soon. I could see him coaching until at least 70. He is physically fit and seems to enjoy coaching.
Kirk seems emotionally worn down and exhausted to me. Time to let go and move on for his own mental health. Might be best for him to implement "War Plan Brian" which is in the AD's secret safe, and move on with a two game in a row bowl win streak, and an advisory role or something.

Of course, an exhaustive interviewing process will be conducted before the new HC is announced.

What do you tell the wife of an Ohio State coach with two black eyes?

Nothing. She's already been told twice. Urban will coach again. If Nick retires and we can't get Dabo to come to Bama, Urban will get a call along with Jimbo. There are only a few guys who check the national champion box that will be a pre-req to being Nick's successor.
Surely Kirby gets a call as well.

I would guess Kirk has no plans to retire anytime soon. If Parker left or Brian went to the NFL, maybe. I accepted many years ago that KF will make me bang my head in frustration and admire him for running a clean program with a pipeline to the NFL.

Latest posts