The new rules in college football

I have a feeling this rule will be used by the refs to take a touchdown off the board late in a game to allow a certain undefeated team to remain undefeated. (most likely Florida)

I highly doubt Florida will go undefeated this year. They lost a LOT! I think the Hawks have a better chance than the gators.

also, i believe the taunting rule is only on the way into the end zone- meaning that anything happening in the end zone after the touchdown is still enforced on the kickoff. i thought espn gave some very poor examples when reading their article on this- because they talked about the georgia play (vs lsu) that would've still been enforced on the kickoff based on the new rules.

I am going to guess that the taunting that will be flagged are the looking back and holding the ball out in the direction of the defender, or pointing at the defender and maybe when they slow down and run backwards into the endzone. It will be interesting to see if the dive and flip over the goal line when there are no defenders is considered taunting or celebrating.

It goes back to the old phrase "Act like you have been there before"

I for one am glad to see the changes. The whole eye black thing is just stupid, kids don't need to wear them. I especially love all the gang numbers posted on USC ,Florida, and other teams players. I don't Iowa had any players wear them do they?

The taunting rule is a great addition. I think this rule should be successful. There is no reason for taunting in the game of football. They showed golden tates TD catch vs Michigan last year, and that is taunting all the way. Now if he would of been flagged and taken points off the board, do you think he would of done it again? NOPE. Also what about the Ark St kid who did a flip into the endzone last yere on the pick 6. That crap has nothing to do with sport of foootball, all it does is draw attention an individual player. I think this is a good rule change and am for it.

We need to have weird rules because coaches won't get the kids to behave.

I would rather not have the penalty, and just have coaches teach some of the ancillary issues in sports, like respect, maturity, selflessnes, etc.

But if we have to throw a flag to keep smart alecks from making a joke of the game and the other participants, I guess that's what we have to do.

Mimicking other areas of life. School system = referees, parents = coaches. One doing what they shouldn't have to (and subject to great criticism, earned and unearned) and one abdicating responsibility, letting others determine the values exchanged.

Edit: Person intending to slur another with the mentally retarded tag. You ought to stop doing that. Those of us with mentally retarded relatives actually do feel an offense with that immature and low class labeling.

Last edited:
I love both of these rules. Leave the douchebaggery to the NFL.
+1
Keep in mind they can call unsportsmanlike conduct right now. Obviously the current rule of 15 yards on the kick doesn't defer players from douchebaggery, and I believe this rule definitely will.

Last edited:
I for one am glad to see the changes. The whole eye black thing is just stupid, kids don't need to wear them. I especially love all the gang numbers posted on USC ,Florida, and other teams players. I don't Iowa had any players wear them do they?

The taunting rule is a great addition. I think this rule should be successful. There is no reason for taunting in the game of football. They showed golden tates TD catch vs Michigan last year, and that is taunting all the way. Now if he would of been flagged and taken points off the board, do you think he would of done it again? NOPE. Also what about the Ark St kid who did a flip into the endzone last yere on the pick 6. That crap has nothing to do with sport of foootball, all it does is draw attention an individual player. I think this is a good rule change and am for it.

They may not write anything on them, but plenty of Iowa players wear eye black. Sash does at least some of the time, and I believe Edds did too. Eye black I have no problem with, it serves a purpose. I didn't have a problem with stuff being written on them, but I didn't know USC guys were putting gang-related stuff on theirs. I don't see the problem with Bible verses, "619" (hometown area code, which I thought was really cool), or something about your family. This rule really bothers me because the NCAA is worrying about crap like eye black when there's 18 other gigantic elephants in the room that they choose to ignore.

So would this new rule apply to the Arkansas St. player who flipped into the endzone after a Stanzi pick-six? It was technically on the goal line (and as we know the line itself counts as the endzone)...before or after play is over? Is this taunting or excessive celebration?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ogSFDVmVNU[/ame]

(at about 1:20)

Last edited:
So would this new rule apply to the Arkansas St. (??) player who flipped into the endzone after a Stanzi pick-six? It was technically on the goal line (and as we know the line itself counts as the endzone)...before or after play is over? Is this taunting or excessive celebration?

That one would get flagged for taunting everytime. At least in the vast majority of those celebrations, the player leaps before he crosses the goalline. So technically he started his celebration before he reached the endzone, thus making it a taunting penalty.

The idea that points can be taken off the board is astounding. If that is the rule, I better see backflips from the 10 hard line in, culminating with Riverdance at the 1, and insinuating taking a dump to cross the goal line, before points are taken off the board.

As for the eye black, I agree with that. Totally stupid idea propagated by NFL players which the college kids are just trying to imitate.

The idea that points can be taken off the board is astounding. If that is the rule, I better see backflips from the 10 hard line in, culminating with Riverdance at the 1, and insinuating taking a dump to cross the goal line, before points are taken off the board.

As for the eye black, I agree with that. Totally stupid idea propagated by NFL players which the college kids are just trying to imitate.

The NFL actually banned messages on eye-black a couple years ago, didn't they?

And really, I see nothing wrong with points getting taken off the board. Think about it. They won't have to take many off. It's only going to have to happen maybe 3 times before everyone stops doing it. Take off 21 points in one season to get rid of that garbage forever? I'll take that in a heartbeat.

That one would get flagged for taunting everytime. At least in the vast majority of those celebrations, the player leaps before he crosses the goalline. So technically he started his celebration before he reached the endzone, thus making it a taunting penalty.

Like the rule or not... if the guy does a flip in the end zone rather than over the goal line then it's still enforced on the kick. I don't see this rule having a huge impact, as celebration penalties will still be in full force after scoring 6 with no change from the rule. The NCAA has just basically said we will not tolerate your unsportsmanlike behavior on the way INTO the end zone.

Yeah, I forgot this is a communist country, and we don't want any personal freedoms to go unpunished. If you are wearing a tee-shirt with any logo or saying that you might personally find uplifting, or humorous...please take the time now to turn it inside out for the rest of the day-because you really don't need to wear it.

Latest posts