The new rules in college football

I don't like the taunting rule because it is a judgement call by the refs. Very few of them don't suck to start with. What will be the consistent understanding of what 'taunting' is??

Pretty much every rule is a "judgement call".

Most of the time you only see taunting calls when players go over the line. For instance, sticking the ball out towards a defender and high stepping over the goal line will probably get that call. Standing over the top of a defender and talking smack after a TD catch will probably get the call. I really think some of you are confusing taunting with excessive celebration. To get the taunting call, I truly think you are going to have do something over the top. So if it gets called you will probably deserve it.

No, it's not. It's having fun; it's not a business, it's college kids running up and down a field giving everything they have. If they want to celebrate when they succeed, they should be able to.

Regardless of your views, the NCAA has been quite consistent for sometime about how they view individuals who try to put themselves in the spotlight at the expense of another player. It doesn't matter if you think it's fun. Most coaches don't like taunting, and most fans don't as well I bet(especially if it happens against one of your players).

Again, it's not about celebration. It's about poor sportsmanship towards another player.

Last edited:
No, it's not. It's having fun; it's not a business, it's college kids running up and down a field giving everything they have. If they want to celebrate when they succeed, they should be able to.

You can have fun without rubbing the other teams faces in it.

College is also a place where kids learn to become responsible adults. Civility and respect is a big part of that. I have no problem with young people having fun or with genuine and spontaneous expressions of happiness and excitement. Be happy. Be excited. Be exuberant. You DO NOT have to disrespect your competitors to do that.

I am for the taunting rule in principle. The level of respect and civility needs to be raised in the society in general, not to mention in sports. I am a little concerned that taking a TD away may possibly be a bit harsh. I don't think that 15 yards on the extra point or the ensuing kickoff is enough, though. Its not enough to send a message that will be heard and reverse the problem.

I am also concerned that a ref with a stick up where the sun doesn't shine may pull the trigger on this unjustly. I would like assurances that players can still respectfully celebrate and be exuberant about a great play. Taunting has to go, though.

You can have fun without rubbing the other teams faces in it.

College is also a place where kids learn to become responsible adults. Civility and respect is a big part of that. I have no problem with young people having fun or with genuine and spontaneous expressions of happiness and excitement. Be happy. Be excited. Be exuberant. You DO NOT have to disrespect your competitors to do that.

I am for the taunting rule in principle. The level of respect and civility needs to be raised in the society in general, not to mention in sports. I am a little concerned that taking a TD away may possibly be a bit harsh. I don't think that 15 yards on the extra point or the ensuing kickoff is enough, though. Its not enough to send a message that will be heard and reverse the problem.

I am also concerned that a ref with a stick up where the sun doesn't shine may pull the trigger on this unjustly. I would like assurances that players can still respectfully celebrate and be exuberant about a great play. Taunting has to go, though.

Don't confuse taunting with celebration. Taunting is getting up into someone's face, going over to their sideline, stuff that's pointed directly at them. If a kid scores a touchdown and wants to spike the football, what's the problem with that? No one gets hurt; it just shows passion for the game. Also, I don't believe that eliminating "taunting" (celebration) in athletics makes society a better place at all. I am willing to bet that no athlete has ever gone into their workplace or out in public and thought, "well, the NCAA doesn't allow me to dive into the endzone for no reason, I guess I shouldn't taunt these people".

Yeah, and it's people like you who also think there's nothing wrong with bullying. Same general outlook.

RIGHT, because spiking a football after scoring a touchdown or diving into the endzone is on the same level of harassing kids and beating them up. Get out of this topic, tard.

RIGHT, because spiking a football after scoring a touchdown or diving into the endzone is on the same level of harassing kids and beating them up. Get out of this topic, tard.

Bullying is ALL about insecurity and humiliating people to make yourself feel better. Which is EXACTLY what taunting is all about.

Taunting, or any other form of intentionally disrespecting or humiliating another person, should not be tolerated anywhere in society.

I am all for celebration. Spiking the ball, chest bumping, high fives, team mates piling on one another, that is all fine and dandy. If you score a TD you and your team mates deserve to go a bit wild and express your excitement and happiness.

You do not have to demean the other team to do this. Have your fun, but leave the other team out of it. You can be wild and crazy while still being respectful and classy.

It is foolish to say that tolerating taunting (and acting disrespectfully in general) in one area of life (sports) will not lead to it happening more often elsewhere.

Bullying is ALL about insecurity and humiliating people to make yourself feel better. Which is EXACTLY what taunting is all about.

Fine, dunking a football through the goalpost = walking onto a schoolbus and punching a kid in the temple. Happy? Maybe you think they should just arrest kids on the football field who show any signs of celebration or passion for the game--who knows, by having fun at almost no expense to others could increase the suicide rate in college kids!

I'm not saying that you should be allowed to walk up to another player on the opposite team and grab their facemask and yell about how great you are and how bad they are...God you people are so anal sometimes.

Fine, dunking a football through the goalpost = walking onto a schoolbus and punching a kid in the temple. Happy? Maybe you think they should just arrest kids on the football field who show any signs of celebration or passion for the game--who knows, by having fun at almost no expense to others could increase the suicide rate in college kids!

I'm not saying that you should be allowed to walk up to another player on the opposite team and grab their facemask and yell about how great you are and how bad they are...God you people are so anal sometimes.

I have no problem with some celebration. I'm vehemently against the high-stepping into the endzone, holding the ball out, etc. You can celebrate all you want with your teammates. Dunking, flipping into the endzone, all that is garbage that's just designed to draw attention to you to soothe your insecurities.

But getting out and showing some emotion? I'm fine with that. It's what I love about college football. No problems there. I just don't want any taunting.

The NCAA is forgetting that this is entertainment...ergo people would like to be entertained. One of the things they have going for them is the passion of the players, and passion is usually showed with celebration! So the NCAA is trying to hard to be like its boring older brother

This taunting thing is going to be a real problem, because they were talking about if a player looks back at the defense then they will get the flag, what if they dont know if the D is about to tackle him or not? What is he suppose to use the eyes in the back of his head?

This taunting thing is going to be a real problem, because they were talking about if a player looks back at the defense then they will get the flag, what if they dont know if the D is about to tackle him or not? What is he suppose to use the eyes in the back of his head?

I'm guessing that for those penalties it's going to have to be blatant. A lot of stuff doesn't get called as it is now. The only things that get called on the way to the endzone are the ones that are obvious.

The NCAA is forgetting that this is entertainment...ergo people would like to be entertained. One of the things they have going for them is the passion of the players, and passion is usually showed with celebration! So the NCAA is trying to hard to be like its boring older brother

You've got it backwards. The NFL is entertainment. They aren't banning celebration, they're banning taunting. There is a HUGE difference between the two.

WELL WHAT'S COLLEGE FOOTBALL THEN?! THE VATICAN?!

The NFL's sole purpose is entertainment. Whether you believe it or not, college football is a different way for student-athletes to learn things that can prepare them for life. That's the NCAA's stance, always has been. You can think it's BS all you want, but that's what they stand by publicly.

I have a feeling this rule will be used by the refs to take a touchdown off the board late in a game to allow a certain undefeated team to remain undefeated. (most likely Florida)

Latest posts