The Music Scrimage Bowl

Once the cfp expands, i could see the rest of the bowl games (with maybe the exception of the ny6) being replaced with scrimages where those who didnt qualify can set up an extra game with another school that didnt qualify regardless of record and can use it for extra practice and to evaluate 2nd/3rd stringers in a game situation.

Its essentially whats happenimg now, but would open it up to all, they could play on a campus or neutral site. I never really understood why the teams who could most use some extra practice were denied the opportunity to at least get the extra practices.

Never happen. Ever

Who'll do it?

The NCAA has already totally washed its hands and stated in no uncertain terms they aren't willing to start implementing rules. They want no part of the devastating flurry of lawsuits that'd come their way after the Supreme Court ruled in athletes' favor. Also, if they're so interested in regulating, why haven't they started investigating schools for tampering with recruits who are obviously talking to programs before their releases? Because they know they have no power.

Lawmakers? Nope. Again, most people in this country aren't rabid fans of sports and they're behind athletes making money.

Judicial branch? Uh uh. The highest court in all the land ruled in their favor already and lambasted the NCAA for even letting it get to that point.

Individual schools or conferences? No chance. Now that the genie is out of the bottle you either keep up or die.

Market forces are the one and only thing that will settle NIL down. It will happen eventually, but there is a less than zero chance of more restrictive rules being put in place.

I think perhaps I wasn't clear...I was not talking about portal/recruiting stuff. Rather, I was talking about what programs/coaches are able to do with their athletes throughout the year. Basically, one of the arguments for having bowls is so teams can "earn" more practices. If we chop down the bowls, let's also do away with the idea that you can only work with your athletes at certain times of the year...but at the same time, make sure the athletes have protections in place so they are not abused.

Just wanted to clarify my points. Your rebuttal seemed to be aimed at a different topic, so obviously I didn't communicate my ideas well.

I think perhaps I wasn't clear...I was not talking about portal/recruiting stuff. Rather, I was talking about what programs/coaches are able to do with their athletes throughout the year. Basically, one of the arguments for having bowls is so teams can "earn" more practices. If we chop down the bowls, let's also do away with the idea that you can only work with your athletes at certain times of the year...but at the same time, make sure the athletes have protections in place so they are not abused.

Just wanted to clarify my points. Your rebuttal seemed to be aimed at a different topic, so obviously I didn't communicate my ideas well.
Ahh. My misunderstanding. Post deleted.

I think other changes to CFB need to go along with that. They need to rethink restrictions on Coach/Athlete contact. If they are now pro athletes, let's create a system that allows them to get pro-level training year round. This idea of qualifying for a bowl and earning extra practices is pretty silly.

But along with that, there need to be restrictions on what can be done during these contact periods to protect the young athletes from "old school" coaches applying outdated, draconian practices. Something like that is collectively bargained in the NFL...not sure how you accomplish it here, but it needs to be done.

Ultimately, the newly available ability for student-athletes to vote with their feet is going to encourage programs to find the balance between treating their athletes right and optimizing performance. The only major drawback is going to be the fact that the voting is going to be done by 18-20 year olds with minimal knowledge of what it takes to perform at the highest levels and who are easily distracted by shiny objects. That will be a tricky tightrope, and one that will need to be managed with lots of transparency, education, and empowerment.
Transparency? In college football? Or shooty hoops for that matter? That alone would be a major transformation. Too many throw around that buzzword without truly understanding what it means.

BREAKING Kentucky OT Kiyaunta Goodwin reportedly plans to enter the NCAA transfer portal.\\\

KY might be a ghost ship

You know what is sad? There are 6 bowl games today and I will end up watching two of them...maybe more depending on how this Christmas party goes tonight.:(