The more I listen to Coach McCaffery...

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
the more and more I am thoroughly impressed.

His resume might not have been exactly what I had hoped for and the name recognition is exactly what I was looking for... BUT...

He is bringing EVERYTHING that I had HOPED FOR in a coach to Iowa City. That's huge.

the more and more I am thoroughly impressed.

His resume might not have been exactly what I had hoped for and the name recognition is exactly what I was looking for... BUT...

He is bringing EVERYTHING that I had HOPED FOR in a coach to Iowa City. That's huge.
Gut feeling is this is another KF kind of coach. It always amazes me whne guys like this seem to pop up out of thin air.

When the news broke yesterday that McCaffery was the man, I called my brother who lives out-of-state. I said something to the effect of, "Did you hear the news about the Hawks?" Purely from the tone of my voice in that one question, he knew that I was less than impressed with the announcement.

So today during the presser, I called him again. But this time, he noted that the tone of my voice revealed that my attitude about this hire has shifted 180 degrees.

And so it has. I won't say we should be clearing a spot on the CHA ceiling to hang a 2011 NCAA Championship banner, but I am FAR more optimistic today than I was yesterday.

Amen storminspank! The more I evaluate the presser and his level of respect for his experiences in Carver and his vision. The more amped up I am getting. Now get these assistants tied up.

I'm not going to lie...I was FREAKING yesterday...but after that presser...what's not to like?!?!

If he can recruit like I think he can/will....watch out Big Ten. The Hawks are BACK

I'm not going to lie...I was FREAKING yesterday...but after that presser...what's not to like?!?!

If he can recruit like I think he can/will....watch out Big Ten. The Hawks are BACK

PUT DOWN THE KOOLAID!!! :p

But I'm pumped too! Ready for next season already, just as long as we take a detour through football season first.

Well I mean realistically I think 16-18 wins next year...but a year after that...I think we are honestly going to be challenging for the NCAA tourney again!!...Bball isn't like football...one or two "key" recruits can really change a team...and I think we have a SOLID foundation to build with...just need one or two more pieces.

Hawkeye Nation is getting a GREAT basketball coach! He can recruit, teach, build the programs. My son played baseball at Siena, knows all the players and coach. No downside. A big plus for Iowa. Back in the Big 10

Go Hawkeyes!

I think it's clear that he understands college basketball. I thought it was interesting that he said that he was wanting to work on getting the students to go. He seems to understand how important that is in college basketball. I don't remember Lickliter ever addressing marketing the program (I don't remember his opening presser) but that is pretty important when trying to revitalize a program. I'm excited to see what he brings to the table.

Question for eburke4

I realize your son played baseball and not basketball, but did you ever get a feel for why a guy that was a head coach in D1 at 26 wasn't a head man at a major D1 school before now. Head coach at 26 would lead you to think he was on the fast-track a la Billy Donovan or something similar. He doesn't land a job at a big-time program (though we are obviously really down) until now.

Do you have any insight?

Latest posts