The Latest on Tyler Cook's NBA Draft Decision

RobHowe

Administrator
I spoke with Tyler Cook's mother Monday morning. Here's where things stand with the Hawkeye forward as Wednesday's NBA Draft decision approaches:

LINK

That certainly sounds to me that he's getting positive feedback from the team's he's meeting with. That being said...it's a tough decision. Putting a stamp on your junior year with 20 and 10 and being a go to guy down the stretch would certainly put him in the 2nd round I would think.

I'd like to have him watch Fran's defensive skills video a few more times this off season though.

I hope he comes back to Iowa.

“ If Cook did the same, Iowa would bring back all but reserves Dom Uhl, Ahmad Wagner and Brady Ellingson from last year’s youthful squad while adding incoming freshmen Joe Wieskamp and C.J. Fredrick.”

I would take that trade off. If Cook returns along with Joe and C.J. coming in I would definitely say that is an upgrade for the team compared with the players that left.

If Cook leaves you will see a little improvement with Joe in the lineup but I would not expect an NCAA tournament bid this year. Depending on how well players develope by the end of the upcoming season it will be iffy for the following season as well. I know it’s difficult to look two seasons away as anything can happen with player development. I am hoping Joe can really bring it as a freshman.

This upcoming season will be huge for Fran as it will display what direction this program is going. Was last season just a lull or was it a defining moment of Fran’s inability to recruit an all B1G point guard and his inability to teach defense?

That certainly sounds to me that he's getting positive feedback from the team's he's meeting with. That being said...it's a tough decision. Putting a stamp on your junior year with 20 and 10 and being a go to guy down the stretch would certainly put him in the 2nd round I would think.

I'd like to have him watch Fran's defensive skills video a few more times this off season though.

I hope he comes back to Iowa.

I do like his mother’s attitude of it being NBA or back to Iowa you go. The European league is not the NBA and from comments I have read here and there Cook is an outside shot at best to make the NBA.

Of course he may choose for himself and Ignor his mom’s wishes and go into the European league with hopes of gaining the attention of some NBA scout.

My advice to him if he were my son would be to return to Iowa and develope in the areas that NBA scouts have advised him needs improvement in. That would set him up nicely for leaving after his junior season.

Well that was as vague as it gets but there's really nothing more she can say. There's no way with him not being invited to the combine and or being listed as even a top 100 prospect that he can consider the NBA a realistic possibility. No NBA exec, scout or Fran would advise him to go that route. So the decision isn't between the NBA and Iowa it's the G league, Europe or Iowa... And honestly for him to have not made up his mind on the NBA part of it seems pretty disingenuous. In the next couple of days his stock isn't going to go up 40 or 50 players worth so he could sneak into the 2nd round... It's just not. We'll know soon so that'll be nice anyway for Fran and the program one way or the other.

Well that was as vague as it gets but there's really nothing more she can say. There's no way with him not being invited to the combine and or being listed as even a top 100 prospect that he can consider the NBA a realistic possibility. No NBA exec, scout or Fran would advise him to go that route. So the decision isn't between the NBA and Iowa it's the G league, Europe or Iowa... And honestly for him to have not made up his mind on the NBA part of it seems pretty disingenuous. In the next couple of days his stock isn't going to go up 40 or 50 players worth so he could sneak into the 2nd round... It's just not. We'll know soon so that'll be nice anyway for Fran and the program one way or the other.

Tyler Cook nor anyone in his family has ever said anything about playing in Europe or the Developmental league. Those are just machinations created by posters. The kid is hoping that trying out for that last team maybe the magic ticket. It won't be and he will be back for his junior season. Seems pretty straightforward actually.

Tyler Cook nor anyone in his family has ever said anything about playing in Europe or the Developmental league. Those are just machinations created by posters. The kid is hoping that trying out for that last team maybe the magic ticket. It won't be and he will be back for his junior season. Seems pretty straightforward actually.
Hope so I'd love for him to be back.. Just because he hasn't talked about the G league or Europe doesn't mean they aren't also options for him. He's been pretty tight lipped about it all really.

You wanna talk about risky. Say there is only one team that shows interest in him and it's the last one he visits. And all they do is say yeah we'd like to bring you in for our summer league team and see where you stand then. Because if they say we'll draft you in the 2nd round when NOBODY else probably is showing any interest in you would you believe them? I'd say he'd have the worst group of folks representing his interests as there could be (since he doesn't have an agent I'm not sure who around him is giving him that sort of if any advice) if they were to get him excited to roll the dice on that.

Hope so I'd love for him to be back.. Just because he hasn't talked about the G league or Europe doesn't mean they aren't also options for him. He's been pretty tight lipped about it all really.

You wanna talk about risky. Say there is only one team that shows interest in him and it's the last one he visits. And all they do is say yeah we'd like to bring you in for our summer league team and see where you stand then. Because if they say we'll draft you in the 2nd round when NOBODY else probably is showing any interest in you would you believe them? I'd say he'd have the worst group of folks representing his interests as there could be (since he doesn't have an agent I'm not sure who around him is giving him that sort of if any advice) if they were to get him excited to roll the dice on that.

I'm not arguing that it would be dumb to pin your hopes on 1 team and a tryout, but that is what he is doing. The Rockets will also tell him to work on his game and try next year.

He will be back at Iowa because that is the plan his family will endorse. His mother seemed pretty matter of fact that is was either NBA or Jr season at Iowa and we have nothing but speculation from outside observers to suggest anything else.

We will know for sure this week. I agree with Adam though. Most of the information on these posts are purely gossip. He already said if he wasn't drafted he would be back. Anyway, I hope he does whats best for him.

We will know for sure this week. I agree with Adam though. Most of the information on these posts are purely gossip. He already said if he wasn't drafted he would be back. Anyway, I hope he does whats best for him.
Can you please provide the reference for Cook saying that?

@RobHowe

“Stephanie didn’t see the final decision coming before Wednesday’s deadline imposed by the NCAA.”

What does this mean?

they were waiting to see if they could get a tryout scheduled with Houston, so i think that meant they weren't going to decide until they had that tryout. that's how i read it, anyway.

they were waiting to see if they could get a tryout scheduled with Houston, so i think that meant they weren't going to decide until they had that tryout. that's how i read it, anyway.
They haven't completely made up their minds yet?
Appreciate the responses.

My confusion in part is about the process. Say Houston says we can get you in for a workout Thursday (if that’s even legal). Can Tyler then say I’m returning to school, but take the Houston workout anyway? If the Houston workout goes great and they say they would draft him in the 2nd round can he just say nope just kidding I am going pro and plan to sign an agent. I guess also if he misses the NCAA guideline is that a hard and fast rule that he can’t return?

Appreciate the responses.

My confusion in part is about the process. Say Houston says we can get you in for a workout Thursday (if that’s even legal). Can Tyler then say I’m returning to school, but take the Houston workout anyway? If the Houston workout goes great and they say they would draft him in the 2nd round can he just say nope just kidding I am going pro and plan to sign an agent. I guess also if he misses the NCAA guideline is that a hard and fast rule that he can’t return?

NH21, I won't claim to fully understand the process; but as I understand it, this is all paper work driven, as far as, being eligible for the draft or not. So, I think the answer would be that Cook could not accept a tryout with Houston after 5/30 and still remain college eligible. I could be wrong, but this is how I believe it to me.

NH21, I won't claim to fully understand the process; but as I understand it, this is all paper work driven, as far as, being eligible for the draft or not. So, I think the answer would be that Cook could not accept a tryout with Houston after 5/30 and still remain college eligible. I could be wrong, but this is how I believe it to me.
That’s would make the most sense and would avoid players pulling stunts like I proposed.

I’m starting to think he stays in the draft based on those comments though.

I read that she said, "pro ball". She did not say, "NBA". After reading this I am of the opinion that he will not be back at Iowa. He's not an NBA player at this point. Not even close. It's debatable whether another 1-2 years at Iowa will help or if he's better served playing overseas/G-League. I hope he stays. I wish him well whatever his decision. I like Kriener's defense better than TC's. After watching horrible defense all this season, I'd like to see Fran put people out there that are willing / can defend.

The decision might be made at the time of the deadline? They won't make the decision before the last day possible - Wednesday, so it won't be Tuesday. That's how I read it too

I read that she said, "pro ball". She did not say, "NBA". After reading this I am of the opinion that he will not be back at Iowa. He's not an NBA player at this point. Not even close. It's debatable whether another 1-2 years at Iowa will help or if he's better served playing overseas/G-League. I hope he stays. I wish him well whatever his decision. I like Kriener's defense better than TC's. After watching horrible defense all this season, I'd like to see Fran put people out there that are willing / can defend.

I can see your point and it has legs. I am just under the impression that some NBA team tells Tyler that they will sign him to a contract (Either the actual roster or their D League counterpart) or he returns to Iowa. I'm guessing that no team has told him this so far and so Houston is the last hope. This gives me the calm feeling that he will be back.