The Lark Supper Club

Went there on a set-up first date not long after moving to Iowa City in the late 90s. Poor girl definitely had an eating disorder. She took down the half head of lettuce and then a steak. She then spent quite bit of time in the restroom.

I found out later that week that she had recently thrown a brick through her ex-boyfriend's car window. No second date.

The steak at the Lark was great, though.
Lol.
Oh come on live dangerous, crazy chicks need love too. Lol

Remember dining at the Lark. Sad when it burned. I have kind of replaced that with Ced Rel out on highway 30. I stay in CR during football season so not a bad spot. Old fashioned steak house with good varied menu. Years ago we lived in Swisher and took back roads to and from the Amana's. Ronneburg was our go to place, also. I think the sauerbraten is a rare treat. Always liked the veal as well. Still get over that way on occasion.

For a long time, I hung out at the Colony Inn. Waitresses had German accents; no menu, just would tell you what they had available. Never talked price; of course, it was dirt cheap back in the day. Now is a hamburger and beer joint. yuk.

If you need to gain some weight, go over and have the Amana breakfast. Good grief.

OH come on! Where is your sense of adventure...
Exactly.
My uncle was a trip when it came to dating. He would have a knock out 10 on his arm and awhile later a struggling 3. I asked him why he would do that, why is he with large Marge, he said without hesitation "fat women need loving too". LMAO

I let that friend set me up on another date after the brick thrower and she turned out to be crazy as well. That ended that. Ended up meeting my future wife on my own shortly after that and have been married for 17 years. Bullets dodged.

Went there on a set-up first date not long after moving to Iowa City in the late 90s. Poor girl definitely had an eating disorder. She took down the half head of lettuce and then a steak. She then spent quite bit of time in the restroom.

Reminds me of this, from Seinfeld (from the classic Season 6 episode "The Switch"):

George is dating Nina (the beautiful Charlotte Lewis), and at Jerry's he's telling the gang about a problem.

George: "Every time we go out to eat, the minute we're done, she's runnin' to the bathroom."

Elaine: "So you're concerned?"

George (w/ sympathetic expression)
"Elaine, of course I'm concerned......I'm payin' for those meals!"

I found out later that week that she had recently thrown a brick through her ex-boyfriend's car window. No second date.

The steak at the Lark was great, though.

<<The steak at The Lark was great, though>>

Yeah, Rob, way to kill it with yet another "crazy ex-girlfriend" angle :)

I let that friend set me up on another date after the brick thrower and she turned out to be crazy as well. That ended that. Ended up meeting my future wife on my own shortly after that and have been married for 17 years. Bullets dodged.
Everyone is crazy. It's just finding a crazy you can deal with.
See you are looking at it all wrong, so what if she is a brick thrower and breaks out windshields, you open a windshield repair shop and tell her to go friggin nuts. A supportive relationship ya know.

Everyone is crazy. It's just finding a crazy you can deal with.
See you are looking at it all wrong, so what if she is a brick thrower and breaks out windshields, you open a windshield repair shop and tell her to go friggin nuts. A supportive relationship ya know.

Excellent turning-lemon-into-lemonade approach!

FYI, I.R.P. IS still operating. Lute Olson used to take recruits there for brunch on football weekends. It was actually lower on my brunch list by virtue of the Amanas re-writing all the rules for Sunday dining, IMHO.
The University Athletic Club was a popular place for Iowa coaches to take recruits for lunch/dinner. It was also a good place to go before and after Iowa football games. I remember seeing Hayden Fry & Bill Braisher there with their wives once having dinner. It is also no longer open for business. In the 70's. 80's and 90's, it was a great place, nice swimming pool and tennis courts. Bad management and rates increase drove people away.
636330611428034094-University-Club-01.jpg
Pools.JPG
IMG_7469.jpeg

Yeah, unfortunately, beef AND pork prices have made a significant jump. That, and BBQ joints, food trucks, et. al., have come to overvalue their products quite a bit, and succeeded with a less-than-discriminating public palate. WAY too much "dining out" is done in the name of "stature" instead of "quality dining", I'm afraid.

That said, I LOVE a good BBQ joint, and if they do brisket and sausage well--not typical of Florida and the Southeast, in general--they earn my loyalty. I have to explain to people in Florida that Iowa and the Midwest don't do BBQ the way they do in the South because the meat, in summary, is so damn good you don't need BBQ technique to mask shitty product. Breaded tenderloin sandwiches being an exception, of course!
Halfway between Dubuque and Madison in the city of Dodgeville hails a place called Bob's Bitchin BBQ. Briskets are their specialty. In the forty five to an hour that you would have to wait at a Madison restaurant after an Iowa Wisconsin game you can travel to Bob's and you will not be disappointed.

Played host to some Buckeye guests one year for OSU / UI game and dined at The Lark. When their check came after eating they told the waiter there was a mistake as the bill was so small. They couldn’t believe it.

Hawks got beat the following day in the final seconds after controlling most of the game. Seems like I remember Merton Hanks tipping a pass that ended up in the hands of a Buckeye for a TD or some fluke ending.
The tipped TD bounced off Hanks chest into the arms of Jeff Graham and was the last play of the first half.

Hanks Hanks got burned on an inside slant to Bobby Olive with one second remaining on the clock, similar to Marvin McNutts game winner against Michigan State.

The game is shown occasionally on BTN Classics. And is no less painful to watch today.

If you need to gain some weight, go over and have the Amana breakfast. Good grief.

Got good bloody Mary's?
Hands down best bloodie I've ever had was out west. It wasn't one that had a bunch of stuff in it, by today's standards it was simple,. But dam they were good over a big breakfast.

Got good bloody Mary's?
Hands down best bloodie I've ever had was out west. It wasn't one that had a bunch of stuff in it, by today's standards it was simple,. But dam they were good over a big breakfast.

It's hard to beat a good, semi-spicy Bloody Mary with a nice breakfast. The Moonshine, in Austin, TX, makes as good a Bloody as I have had while dining out. Good brunch, too, and the $3 price tag for a Bloody at Sunday brunch was solid!

Took many dates there in the early 60's. Many other guys spent money on all kinds of worthless stuff, but dinner at the Lark really stood out.

Latest posts