The Kentucky Derby & Rich Strike

MelroseHawkins

I am by no means a race aficionado, but if the Kentucky Derby is on when I am around home I will try to watch, especially with the family. Did any of you catch last Sunday's Kentucky Derby? That race was amazing and probably the best comeback by a horse I have ever witnessed. Add into that, the horse was such a long shot to win.

Rich Strike was the winning horse and was a long shot, I think 80-1 to win. He was well behind still in the last 1/4 leg with a bunch of traffic ahead of him and really no place to go. I don't know how he and the jockey did it, but they navigated thru the traffic and had a hell of a kick at the end. That horse was not going to be denied, which was evident after the race as they had difficulty getting him out of race mode during the cool down lap. He was nipping at the outrider and his horse as he was still in race mode.

Anyway, again, just a miraculous run. If you haven't caught the race, you need to view a streamline for a good watch.

Thoughts?

It was a great race. He had everything work out perfectly. With that many horses, you can never expect to be able to get through that as easily as he did. Couldn't believe the burst he had at the end. I was watching the Iowa horse, and it tried to do the same thing but got pinned in. When it got free, it went around the outside and got bumped pretty hard for quite awhile. He had a lot left. With a clear path, he would've had a great shot at the end.

It was a great race. He had everything work out perfectly. With that many horses, you can never expect to be able to get through that as easily as he did. Couldn't believe the burst he had at the end. I was watching the Iowa horse, and it tried to do the same thing but got pinned in. When it got free, it went around the outside and got bumped pretty hard for quite awhile. He had a lot left. With a clear path, he would've had a great shot at the end.

Yes, I was keeping an eye on the Iowa horse as well and kind of why I wanted to make sure I caught the race. Ironically, that horse started in the 1 position and the winning horse started in the last gate (21). I noticed watching the replay the Iowa horse ended up in the top 5 which was a good run.