The Iowa Football Program Is Not Healthy

Our QB threw for over 2800 yards with 23 TD's in his first full year as a starter. JVB has room to improve but he wasn't the problem.

Our QB threw for over 2800 yards with 23 TD's in his first full year as a starter. JVB has room to improve but he wasn't the problem.

In the Big Ten Games we lost JVB really struggled to make plays, hate to pin in on 1 player, but Stanzi did not have great stats his junior yr but made huge plays in the 4th quarter similar to Tate and Banks.

The Stanzi versus VB argument isn't as straight-forward as some want to make it. The people that are elevating Stanzi also tend to discount the times the D bailed him out.

Statistically speaking, VB is a better QB. I think VB deserves a little break from not getting as much help from his D as Stanzi did.

That said, the fact that Stanzi was a better 4Q QB is undeniable, in my mind. The stats back it and the eye test backs it. I don't think statistically Stanzi has a better season than VB this past year, but I would have rather had him in the 4Q in close games. That much I know.

Narrowing it down to a single position is dumb.
The graduation rate of 83% at Iowa was #8 among all bowl teams in the NCAA and #3 among public institutions. So, you have the quality criteria(bowl teams) comibined with successful retention critieria (grad rate),and Iowa in #8 among 70 schools that made bowls,and #3 among however public institutions(probably at least 50) in successful retention rate.

If Iowa football is sick, over 90% of college football programs are sicker.

Iowa is a top ten party school based on the Princeton ratings.
Clearly, the administration does not like that reputation,along with the excessive tailgating culture at Iowa.
Maybe it is time to ban alcohol on campus,and go dry in Iowa City like in Evanston,Il.,where Northwestern is located? Lets all do it together,to give these student athletes role models to follow.
Cannot have it both ways...ie...throw young 18 year old men into a party culture,and expect them to not be human with hormones coursing thru their veins at the highest level in their life.

Face it, the college football culture is sick...and we all contribute to it.

Narrowing it down to a single position is dumb.
The graduation rate of 83% at Iowa was #8 among all bowl teams in the NCAA and #3 among public institutions. So, you have the quality criteria(bowl teams) comibined with successful retention critieria (grad rate),and Iowa in #8 among 70 schools that made bowls,and #3 among however public institutions(probably at least 50) in successful retention rate.

If Iowa football is sick, over 90% of college football programs are sicker.

Iowa is a top ten party school based on the Princeton ratings.
Clearly, the administration does not like that reputation,along with the excessive tailgating culture at Iowa.
Maybe it is time to ban alcohol on campus,and go dry in Iowa City like in Evanston,Il.,where Northwestern is located? Lets all do it together,to give these student athletes role models to follow.
Cannot have it both ways...ie...throw young 18 year old men into a party culture,and expect them to not be human with hormones coursing thru their veins at the highest level in their life.

Face it, the college football culture is sick...and we all contribute to it.

Ding, ding, ding....if more people got this, the world would be a better place as would this board and the footbal team.

Chad

In the Big Ten Games we lost JVB really struggled to make plays, hate to pin in on 1 player, but Stanzi did not have great stats his junior yr but made huge plays in the 4th quarter similar to Tate and Banks.

Like you can ignore the other 3 quarters. It is a 4 quarter game.

There's a great difference between, for example, LSU, OSU, Oregon, and Iowa:

The 3 former schools annually get great recruiting classes.
They normally use the tremendous athletic ability of their recruits.

Not Iowa. Iowa doesn't get great recruiting classes every year.
Still, Iowa's coaching staff seems to 'dispose' of athletes with the same proclivity as the former schools.

IOW, schools like LSU, OSU, and Oregon can afford to 'waste' athletes.
Iowa can't afford to 'waste' athletes but still does. For what good reason?

I agree with an earlier post. If Iowa wants/needs to go through so many recruits, they need to 'beef up' their recruiting efforts.

Still, Iowa's coaching staff seems to 'dispose' of athletes with the same proclivity as the former schools.

I agree with an earlier post. If Iowa wants/needs to go through so many recruits, they need to 'beef up' their recruiting efforts.

Yup. Totally intentional. :rolleyes:

And yet Iowa has more players in the NFL than Oregon or OU last I checked, so apparently we are actually recruiting bettero....anything else……

Chad

Last edited:
Doesn't that just mean that Iowa is doing less with more?

It may indeed, though I might point out as many have said....if you aren’t playing for BCS’ championships does it really matter. Not saying I agree, but take OU for instance. Everyone runs amuck thinking Bobby is a super hero, yet they only have 27 kids in the NFL on pretty much constant top 10 recruiting. They regularly lose pretty stupid games and have been blown out in at least one NC game and pretty inept in one and haven’t won since what 2001. Now to be fair it would be nice for Iowa to be that, but guess what….he’s fans want him fired, while you are over here questioning your coaches.

It’s all about perspective and clearly if homer the chap had any he’d not have said what he did.

On a corollary note……many (say 5 or 6) years ago, I was on the leading edge of the Iowa recruiting is far from poor when we regularly put lots of kids in the NFL. So the rebuff from the “we suck” team is…..well what you said. Point being yes we have a lot of talent, and yes we have underachieved a bit….all that does is put us in a long list. Ask yourself this….who would you rather be talent poor or just underachieving right now?!?!

Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhawks99
And yet Iowa has more players in the NFL than Oregon or OU last I checked....anything else……

Chad

Doesn't that just mean that Iowa is doing less with more?

First of all ... how dare you suggest such a thing?!

Second of all ... yes it does. But you'll most likely get an argument that the "more" actually started out as "less" but was developed into "more" (because this staff is probably the most gifted in all of college football at recognizing and creating talent and skill where little to none exists) making it appear that the "more" already existed when it was really nothing at all to begin with. What's more (no pun intended), the "more" really didn't come to fruition until only a few games were left in their careers, thus, they were mostly "less" while playing for Iowa but blossomed into "more" somewhere around October of senior year, just in time to be recognized as "more" the following April. The fact that they continue to be "more" has nothing to do with any mentoring or development at the NFL level and has everything to do with the coaching they received while at Iowa.

Thirdly, good luck getting admission, let alone, agreement to such a concept (especially from Chad-nueve-nueve) because "you just don't get it" that Iowa is dandy and it's just a "you" problem.

Or does the culture in Iowa City (a seeming serious-minded coach who appears to broach no non-sense, combined with zealous cops and prosecutors) make it more likely that trouble-makers will be identified and suspended or kicked off the team than might be the case at other schools and in other locales?
I think this has a heck of a lot to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhawks99
And yet Iowa has more players in the NFL than Oregon or OU last I checked....anything else……

Chad

First of all ... how dare you suggest such a thing?!

Second of all ... yes it does. But you'll most likely get an argument that the "more" actually started out as "less" but was developed into "more" (because this staff is probably the most gifted in all of college football at recognizing and creating talent and skill where little to none exists) making it appear that the "more" already existed when it was really nothing at all to begin with. What's more (no pun intended), the "more" really didn't come to fruition until only a few games were left in their careers, thus, they were mostly "less" while playing for Iowa but blossomed into "more" somewhere around October of senior year, just in time to be recognized as "more" the following April. The fact that they continue to be "more" has nothing to do with any mentoring or development at the NFL level and has everything to do with the coaching they received while at Iowa.

Thirdly, good luck getting admission, let alone, agreement to such a concept (especially from Chad-nueve-nueve) because "you just don't get it" that Iowa is dandy and it's just a "you" problem.

Boy I bet you feel foolish don't you, when immediately above you is my post saying yes it probably does mean we are underachieving a little.

I love it when that happens, just paints a tighter corner......:cool:

Chad

Last edited:
Boy I bet you feel foolish don't you, when immediately above you is my post saying yes it probably does mean we are underachieving a little.

I love it when that happens, just paints a tighter corner......:cool:

Chad

Nobody puts stillbuster in a message board corner. NOBODY.

Everything is fine.
Nothing is wrong.
STAY THE COURSE
NEXT MAN IN

Meanwhile in reality...
players leaving, getting arrested
coaches leaving
play on field is average at best
PR of fball program is pathetic

Latest posts