THE FRED HOIBERG ERA HAS BEGUN AT NEBRASKA

Right but there are only so many non conference games in which to build up the Big Ten's overall resume before they start playing and beating up on each other. Helps to go into conference play strong overall.

Interesting that some ACC teams opened their seasons this week with conference games:

Louisville at Miami - Cards win 87-74
Virginia Tech at Clemson - VT wins 67-60
Georgia Tech at NC State - GT wins 82-81 in OT
Florida State at Pitt - Panthers win 63-61
Wake Forest at Boston College - BC wins 77-70
Notre Dame at North Carolina - UNC wins 76-65
Virginia at Syracuse - UVA wins 48-34

Interesting that some ACC teams opened their seasons this week with conference games:

Louisville at Miami - Cards win 87-74
Virginia Tech at Clemson - VT wins 67-60
Georgia Tech at NC State - GT wins 82-81 in OT
Florida State at Pitt - Panthers win 63-61
Wake Forest at Boston College - BC wins 77-70
Notre Dame at North Carolina - UNC wins 76-65
Virginia at Syracuse - UVA wins 48-34
Somewhere Todd Lickliter is smiling at the Virginia/Syracuse score.

I can't believe Skinny Drago from Purdue is back. I thought he was a senior last year. The guy is so cocky, arrogant and a dirty player. The guy is constantly throwing his skin boned elbows all over the place.

I can't believe Skinny Drago from Purdue is back. I thought he was a senior last year. The guy is so cocky, arrogant and a dirty player. The guy is constantly throwing his skin boned elbows all over the place.
Skinny Drago never left.

They've had a Skinny Drago on that team since Drago himself was on the big screen, starting in the mid eighties with Jeff Arnold and Steve Scheffler.

When Matt Haarms and Jon Teske square off its like watching a second grade class try to play Streets and Alleys.

Last edited:
Skinny Drago never left.

They've had a Skinny Drago on that team since Drago himself was on the big screen, starting in the mid eighties with Jeff Arnold and Steve Scheffler.

When Matt Haarms and Jon Teske square off its like watching a second grade class try to play Streets and Alleys.

I see your Steve Scheffler, and raise you a Jim Rowinski. :)

DgTJXLtUwAIuZqh.jpg

DgTJXLtUwAIuZqh.jpg
Bingo! He was even before Scheffler

Gene Keady introduced free weights to the B1G, back when most conference schools were still using Nautilus machines, if not Universal machines. Players would frequently redshirt in mid career, then come back as fourth year juniors and fifth year seniors looking like Lee Haney. It was hard to argue with the results, at least during the regular season.

Remember Kip Jones? Craig Riley? Brian Cardinal?

Jones once took out Ohio State's entire front line on ESPN'S Big Monday. Vitale was going crazy baaaaayyyybeeee!!!!!!

He stepped into an impossible situation at Nebraska for this year. I bet he will have them competitive in 3 years. I'd take him at Iowa in a heartbeat

Unlike Scott Frost though Fred has HC and recruiting experience at the big boy level. I think his rebuild job is going to be a bit easier. But give him some success in Lincoln and he may move on and up.
Yeah, I can’t make too much fun of Fred. He knows how to get the talent — solid citizens or not — to play hard-nosed up and down ball. He’ll get the Fuskers back in contention.

DgTJXLtUwAIuZqh.jpg

Doug Altenberger

Wasn't he the one who made a three with no time on the clock to beat the Hawks a while ago

Illinois and Iowa have had some classic games over the years. Nothing tops the game in Champaign when the Hawks were 17-0 Tom Davis's first year

Here is an article by Jon Miller for Hawkeye Insider

The Hawks were 17-0 and went into OT to defeat the Illini

Bardo was there and Altenberget

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/...s-Always-Must-See-TV-1987-was-Tops-104073501/

:cool:

Doug Collins always seemed to be in the wrong place.

He was our free throw shooter against the Russkies late in that fateful 1972 Olympics gold medal game. In getting sent to the line he was undercut completely ass over teakettle. Given the events that we're about to unfold, I'm surprised the "officials" called a foul in the first place.

In the 1977 NBA finals Philadelphia's Darryl Dawkins and Portland's Bobby Gross got tangled up and Dawkins wild swing at Gross nailed Collins. More importantly, it attracted the attention of Maurice Lucas, who calmed things in a hurry. Dawkins did, however, destroy the locker room after being ejected, reportedly caving in toilet stalls and smashing lockers. He wanted no part of Maurice Lucas'. Few did.

Fate wasn't any kinder to Collins in his coaching career,. He was bounced by the Bulls, or more accurately by Jordan,, and replaced by Phil Jackson on the eve of their 90's dynasty, which Collins missed out.

Waiters was such an obscurity that he became known around the NBA as Granville Waivers. If he was on an NBA floor, it wasn't for long. When we played YMCA pickup ball, our term for lanky uncoordinated players was to call them "Granvilles".

Collins got fired in Chicago because he couldn't--or wouldn't--stop hitting on the wives of Bulls front-office staff, cheerleaders, broadcast team, radio & TV execs, and damn near anything/anyone else that got in his way.

Latest posts