The Fran Conundrum

Correct. Even John Wooden had down years in his 5th and 6th years. In his 3rd and 4th years he won the Pacific Coast Conference. In his 5th and 6th years he finished in the middle of the pack in that conference. For those who are curious, he began his historic run of National Championships in his 16th season at UCLA.

Good post. It's funny how people think once your trajectory goes down, it will never go back up.

Correct. Even John Wooden had down years in his 5th and 6th years. In his 3rd and 4th years he won the Pacific Coast Conference. In his 5th and 6th years he finished in the middle of the pack in that conference. For those who are curious, he began his historic run of National Championships in his 16th season at UCLA.
We better hold onto Fran another 8 years to see if he goes on a National Championship run.

He's had plenty of time, and had success and turned it around. There's no excuse in year 8 for it being enough time. Also, there is no argument that Fran has already turned the program around. The problem has been keeping it there and recognizing this is his first "bad" season since he turned around the program. What has Iowa had the last 4 seasons that this team doesn't? One senior that was a hit on recruiting. Marble, White, Uthoff, Jok. This senior and junior classes were misses. He brought both of them in with no NCAA appearances and a play in game to recruit to. His under class players, the freshman and sophomores, are starting and playing over the Jr and Sr classes because they are far more talented and came to Iowa when we had more to sell.

This is all on Fran and now he has to deal with it or he'll be gone, but I think instead of using where the program was when Lick tanked it, it's a better exercise to look at how we got here. You've said it a lot 56 - he missed on his first PG offers, went to back up plans or took the best players available (Nunge and Garza) instead of signing a top flight PG and now here we are.

FM at Best Buy - goes in to buy a replacement refrigerator but they are out of the particular model he wanted. So he used the money to buy another HDTV because it was on sale for a really great price.

FM at Best Buy - goes in to buy a replacement refrigerator but they are out of the particular model he wanted. So he used the money to buy another HDTV because it was on sale for a really great price.

great analogy ...The color on that TV is so vivid, but the F'n milks spoiled.

Hands down my biggest knock on Fran... Scholarship management !!!

He has created a total mess of a roster!

AND the future doesn't look much better even though we will be getting much better players. Fran will still have a very unbalanced team. These kids deserve a true PG and a True 3 !!!

Fran needs to aggressively cut playing time for the kids who just aren't B1G caliber to the point of driving a few guys off.

There is no doubt that the Hawks are improving. The early second-half rally against Buckeyes was short-lived but encouraging. The Buckeyes are very good this season. They are the team to beat in the BIg. They seriously humiliated the Number One Spartans. We actually played them better.....

The game at Maryland was encouraging. That is another arena usually filled with rabid, diseased, foaming-at-the-mouth fans, same as those at Hilton. We played them well for 30 minutes. The referees took us out of the game completely, giving the Terps a license to foul, while, once again. calling light touches and invisible fouls on the Hawks.The timing of the calls against us was significant, shattering any continuity for the Hawks. It was disgraceful for them to permit the ThugLike behavior once again. Someone is going to get seriously injured if this attitude continues.....

For me, the good news is the Hawks starting to develop an attitude, chemistry and team identity, same as they did last season. This is apparently another rebuilding season. It has been difficult to blend Garza and Nunge into the lineup. Other players suffer from lack of significant playing time, and also, it becomes very hard to give most of the team the floor/playing time they need to develop. Perhaps this is finally working out for us.....

No reason to think we are going to play in an after season tournament. I would deny the CBI/CIT tournaments invites if offered......

Other than the Hawks winning the BIG tournament, we will be watching TheDance and NIT on TV after the season without a Hawkeye presence. In the meantime, I personally am looking for the team to improve, setting the stage for next season when Joe arrives on the scene. Joe Weiskamp has the skills to make an immediate impact.....

Wonder about this Tyger Campbell dude.....Would certainly help to have someone to distribute the ball. Haven't heard a word about him. We might have the urgent need to get a PG, rather novel idea there, next season. Transfer of JC player might ease the pain.....

https://247sports.com/Player/Tyger-Campbell-75700

Love his name and his Do.....

Simply personal observations, nothing more.....

:cool:

Last edited:
Well, how much time would you give him? What is so mind blowing about that question?
I think coaches deserve five years in case they want to redshirt some of their first class. Lick wasn’t given enough time regardless what you think of his performance 3 Years was not enough time to fix a ruined program.

Fran needs to aggressively cut playing time for the kids who just aren't B1G caliber to the point of driving a few guys off.[/QUOTE. If wieskamp is as good as they say he is it would really be counterproductive to not try and get him around the 25 minute mark every game. Anybody playing the 2 this season should not get more than spot minutes if he can stay out of foul trouble

I think coaches deserve five years in case they want to redshirt some of their first class. Lick wasn’t given enough time regardless what you think of his performance 3 Years was not enough time to fix a ruined program.

The best players left every single year he was here. One year 4 of our best players left.

........... and he keeps the milk outside by de fence. :D

Must not be using a milk box - let's see how many get this reference. :)

4c0f4853f3f14fc2c614fe9b4277322b--milk-companies-gold-milk.jpg

Must not be using a milk box - let's see how many get this reference. :)

4c0f4853f3f14fc2c614fe9b4277322b--milk-companies-gold-milk.jpg
Lol, I am old enough to remember as a small child the milkman coming by. Now what I don’t remember is ever seeing a large block of ice in the old iceboxes to keep food cold. I do also remember living in rural Iowa as a young child and having to share telephone lines with a neighbor or two. Black and a white TVs.

Last edited:
If there hadn't been numerous transfers of his own recruits, even the ones that were getting PT, with more to follow, I'd agree with you. But after year 3, with mass defections and more on the way, he was starting from square 1 in year 4. He should have been fired.

If there hadn't been numerous transfers of his own recruits, even the ones that were getting PT, with more to follow, I'd agree with you. But after year 3, with mass defections and more on the way, he was starting from square 1 in year 4. He should have been fired.
He probably realized he made mistakes with the kids he was bringing in and just kept cleaning house. I was really excited for the momentum he was gaining in recruiting . Brust would have been a stud for us . I think by year year five he would have got us back

He probably realized he made mistakes with the kids he was bringing in and just kept cleaning house. I was really excited for the momentum he was gaining in recruiting . Brust would have been a stud for us . I think by year year five he would have got us back
Like Matt Gatens? I'm guessing you don't know the details of Lickliter's demise. No. You're wrong about Lickliter "cleaning house".

Latest posts