The fine edge - hawks almost beat the champs

As I have said all along, the biggest mystery about our inability to perform even respectively on defense this past season, is that we have enough quality athletes to perform as well or better than any other team in the BT on offense. Still kind of waiting for a response to that fact??
To me the only answer is lack of emphasis or ability on the coaches' parts. Maybe that answer isn't what you want to hear.

Honestly I thought Michigan handed Iowa that game and Iowa couldn't grab it. Michigan went like 0 for 8 in the first half from 3 point land and Mo Wagner and Abdur-Rahkman both were in massive foul trouble all game.

On the game, Michigan shot 3-19 from 3, got out rebounded, and still beat Iowa with their 2 best players fouled out. Its not any sort of moral victory I'm going to hang my hat on.

Give Iowa some credit. They closed out a lot harder and looked respectable on defense. Kriener and Garza were a big part of that as they were able to lock down the paint and let the guards overplay a bit. In turn the guards made Michigan work for their shots. Also, Iowa was playing it's second game in 12 hours and Bohannon and Cook played 40 minutes.

Side note: Michigan should really thank us. In fouling Wagner and Abdur-Rahkman out we set up their tourney run by giving their best players fresh legs. To that point though, if we would have beaten Michigan in OT, I think we'd have been too tired by the end of the tournament run to finish with the title.

Lol, we almost beat the champs and damn near lost to the worst team in the conference too. :eek::mad::rolleyes:o_O

Lol, we almost beat the champs and damn near lost to the worst team in the conference too. :eek::mad::rolleyes:o_O

We lost fairly close to ISU and they lost clise games To KU and beat the #8 team.

I sat next to a guy who won the 400 at the World Championships in welding class. I helped him get safer at welding and being close to him helped my 400 speed. We sat for the semester just 3 feet apart. Thats close. Also know a 400 meter runner on a Soviet Olympic team.

Hawks are so close next year for being close to Wolverines. I will say the playing against a Beiliein team would make you better especially if your coach doesnt teach much

Did anyone see Evansville hang with Duke for 12 munutes before losing by 60?

Last edited:
I just listened to Beilein on a BIG show interview. It was interesting how he stated he has completely stepped out of coaching the defense and solely concentrates on the fast break and the offense. He said he has learned over time that he just can't concentrate on both and do them both well at the same time. He admitted his brain just doesn't work like that. He stated he has designated defense soley to another individual/coach and he doesn't even look at it or instruct on it. He went on to say how this has benefited the offense even further because of all the attention he can give that.

Of course that helps when you have a Billy Donovon or other solid coaches on your sideline. Made me think of Iowa's and the coaching staff's struggles coaching defense at Iowa. Maybe hire that good defensive coach and put your confidence in that coach to handle the defense, like a defensive coordinator.

His interview was really a good listen if you can find a streamline of it.
I have always wondered why a setup like this isn't used in basketball?.. Maybe it is, but just not openly. Makes SO MUCH sense, though.

I have always wondered why a setup like this isn't used in basketball?.. Maybe it is, but just not openly. Makes SO MUCH sense, though.

I know it. If you play great defense in basketball, your team will be in most games. True with any sport, but you can't really hide a crappy defense in basketball. A good D will have you competitive in most games, even against better competition.

My opinion is we have an NCAA caliber roster next year, with the right man guiding the ship. I don’t know if Fran is the right man to guide it.

I’m not sure if we had an NCAA roster this year, but I do know fo sure that we severely underperformed, and I place most of the blame for that on Fran.

I think he could pull a Kirk Ferentz coming off the 2014 year where he regrouped and evaluated everything, even changing the practice times to early morning. He came out in 2015 and made a run. I wonder if Fran's going to do something similar. He has already admitted in a news conference that they are going to get back to fundamentals and better conditioning. When I hear fundamentals I am thinking he's referring to defensive fundamentals. I would almost bet he has a successful season next year.

Carmen Electra walked right by me once . I was sooooo close!

Tiger Woods peed in a urinal right next to my brother-in-law one year at the John Deere Classic. My b-in-law could literally hear the Tiger Wood's pee hitting the urinal. He was so close.

True story.

This could turn into one of those epic threads.

Tiger Woods peed in a urinal right next to my brother-in-law one year at the John Deere Classic. My b-in-law could literally hear the Tiger Wood's pee hitting the urinal. He was so close.

True story.

This could turn into one of those epic threads.

Did he catch a glimpse?

We lost fairly close to ISU and they lost clise games To KU and beat the #8 team.

I sat next to a guy who won the 400 at the World Championships in welding class. I helped him get safer at welding and being close to him helped my 400 speed. We sat for the semester just 3 feet apart. Thats close. Also know a 400 meter runner on a Soviet Olympic team.

Hawks are so close next year for being close to Wolverines. I will say the playing against a Beiliein team would make you better especially if your coach doesnt teach much

Did anyone see Evansville hang with Duke for 12 munutes before losing by 60?

60? Yikes!