The Fascinating Case of the Iowa Quarterbacks

Excellent podcast. I agree, there is a lot riding on this game for the future at the QB position at Iowa. I also believe that Davis has wanted CJ as his QB for most, if not all of this season. KF just wouldn't have it. On second thought, it quite possibly is just a ploy by KF to get CJ to stick around next year, because as blind and stupid as he is, he can even see how screwed we are next year if CJ leaves and Checkdown gets hurt again.

Last edited:
The last bit is the scary part. If CJ leaves, it sets the program back big time. Jake isn't known for making it through a season healthy....

I think this is nothing more than a ploy to keep CJ here. Jake will be trotted out as starter next year. I just can't see CJ or his family believing things are changing now with the bowl game.

There are many who don't believe Cook or Boyle will even be QB's for Iowa. When has Iowa been a good fit for a duel threat QB? Banks. Otherwise, we've taken running QB's before and tried to make them Pro Style, and it was disaster (Christensen). Or we turn them into WR, which has given us better results.

When considering the 2016 season, I think you would also have to consider that 2015 will like bring in a new OC, or at least it could. Would you want Weigers as JR's back up as a RS SO with no game experience and a new offense? The smart business decision is to hand the keys over to CJ, knowing JR won't transfer because he is, essentially, locked in at Iowa because of his studies (that is my assumption, at least.)

Keeping CJ through 2016 is paramount in allowing Weigers 2 years understudy in a new offense and Boyle and Cook 2 years, as well. Then you need to ask yourself whether Boyle and Cook even project at QB? I have read items that, at the very least, make it sound plausible that neither project at QB. Potentially, you could only have 2 QB's on your roster in 2015 if CJ leaves.

The last bit is the scary part. If CJ leaves, it sets the program back big time. Jake isn't known for making it through a season healthy....

I think this is nothing more than a ploy to keep CJ here. Jake will be trotted out as starter next year. I just can't see CJ or his family believing things are changing now with the bowl game.

There are many who don't believe Cook or Boyle will even be QB's for Iowa. When has Iowa been a good fit for a duel threat QB? Banks. Otherwise, we've taken running QB's before and tried to make them Pro Style, and it was disaster (Christensen). Or we turn them into WR, which has given us better results.
Sad but true. Every point is sad, but true.

Is it fascinating? That's a nice way to put it Jon but the fact is it's shows a complete failure by a coach, who's time is nearing an end. These are the type of things that recruits look long and hard at. Also gives ammo to other BIG schools on the recruiting trail..

If I was CJ I wouldn't trust KF with a 10 foot pole..

Last edited:
Granted no player would really come out and say it, but does anyone know if there is a sentiment in the locker room (especially from the skill positions) of who the team prefers?

Somebody should tell Ferentz that even though he's still collecting huge checks, he's done at Iowa.

Your "Best chance to win" QB lost to fking Iowa State, jack@$$.

Here's the thing, and likely what could happen (obviously a lot could happen)....

Jake has shown signs of being competent, and if he comes out playing well, is there really a reason to play CJ at that point? Which begs the question, why even bother opening this thing up? Is this Bowl game more of an audition for Iowa QB versus trying to win that coveted Bowl Championship?

The issue with Jake is he can't keep up that level of play for more than a half. And it's usually after a first half of just horrible play on his part.

I don't see how you start Jake in this game? We already know what he brings, inconsistency. As i mention above, he leads Iowa to a TD or maybe two, and you pull him and risk taking momentum away and allow TN to take over?

You start CJ, give him the opportunity to take the job then and there. If he cannot get the offense going, then you try Jake. Come back to him in the second half as a way to reboot, and use the same plan.

All this assuming that TN hasn't gone up by 30 points. But this is Iowa football, it'll be a 24-20 game

It's all a last ditch effort to garner interest in Iowa football 2014 and a scam to make CJ think he ought not transfer. What are the coaches suddenly seeing now that makes them think the *open competition* should be on again? They can try to paint this picture as pretty as they want to, but from a strategy standpoint they are essentially trying to cover their rears.....make it look interesting and make it seem like we care who's taking the snaps for the last game of the year and the fans will carry that over into next season.

Is it fascinating? That's a nice way to put it Jon but the fact is it's shows a complete failure by a coach, who's time is nearing an end. These are the type of things that recruits look long and hard at. Also gives ammo to other BIG schools on the recruiting trail..

If I was CJ I wouldn't trust KF with a 10 foot pole..

you forgot to mention the MAC schools KFz competes with for recruits....and for victories.

Here's my impression. GD prefers CJ but he knows KF prefers JR. That's why he says you could make a case for both guys and it's KF's decision. He doesn't want to go against what KF wants. When it comes to QBs, KF ought to listen to GD. He's much more qualified to make the decision than KF.

Latest posts