The disrespect is WAY thick this week

HawksMN

Man been hearing crap from the national pundits, to ISU fan's, to even Gopher fans this week.
Our kids have eyes and ears and I'll bet this is ticking them off some.
Bet they cant wait for Sat night.

I really don't know why the goofers are disrespecting us because they don't help out our sos. So I guess they must really suck! The clowns and the goofers came from the same mold.

I actually like Cowherd's show. I don't agree with him on everything, but he actually outlines a thought process to why he says what he says and I can respect that. You can get whatever you want out of his message, but basically his problem with the Iowa program is that it's out of conference schedule year to year isn't strong (he isn't too high on Baylor's schedule either). Blackheartgoldpants had a good article about it actually. The past schedules have typically had one non ISU power conference team. Those teams have usually been solid but not spectacular. However, look at the out of conference games the next few years. It's not exactly exciting. And that's probably what Cowherd is looking at. I imagine the future schedules that aren't set in stone will feature more power 5 teams rather than less though. In all honesty though, I'm just happy the Hawks are winning games and playing quality football again. I don't care for what other people think about that.

I actually like Cowherd's show. I don't agree with him on everything, but he actually outlines a thought process to why he says what he says and I can respect that. You can get whatever you want out of his message, but basically his problem with the Iowa program is that it's out of conference schedule year to year isn't strong (he isn't too high on Baylor's schedule either). Blackheartgoldpants had a good article about it actually. The past schedules have typically had one non ISU power conference team. Those teams have usually been solid but not spectacular. However, look at the out of conference games the next few years. It's not exactly exciting. And that's probably what Cowherd is looking at. I imagine the future schedules that aren't set in stone will feature more power 5 teams rather than less though. In all honesty though, I'm just happy the Hawks are winning games and playing quality football again. I don't care for what other people think about that.

But you can't just look at Iowa's schedule. You have to compare it to everyone else's. He starts by saying all the bad teams Iowa plays and leaves out the good ones. Then he ends by pointing out the 5 or so good OOC games that are played every year and makes it sound like those games are the norm. ND gets so much credit of scheduling tough games, but the main reasons their schedule is so hard are because of Clemson, Temple, and Memphis. Yea they were really attempting to get on the phone and schedule world beaters there.

I really don't think this is just an Iowa scheduling thing. That's what ticks me off because he doesn't bash others. I believe he has some other agenda and he doesn't want to go there.

They didn't play Memphis, my bad. But looking at their schedule, the main difference is their bottom of the barrel teams "can't lose" teams aren't as bad as our bottom of the barrel "can't lose" teams.

Last week was way worse....mainly because of Jeff Long and his comments regarding the committee's opinion about our offense in comparison with TCU and Baylor.

Once the new rankings came out this week and he pointed out our SOS, our consistency on both sides of the ball, and our growth in play week-to-week....not much has been said from others, outside of Cowherd.

Clown and Goofer fans are always going to b!tch and moan regardless.....because, you know, they hate Iowa. They're also the only teams I know whose PA announcer screams "And that's another Gopher/Cyclone FIRST DOWN!!!!!" Probably a reason for that...

Last week was worse than this week in my opinion. Jeff Long's comments last week where pretty damning in the national point of view. That point of view relates primarily to those people who do not watch Iowa football and are grossly uninformed regarding Iowa football. His comments this week are damning in a different way but not as bad as last week. Colin Cowherd clearly took exception to being called out by Kirk Ferentz and he took another shot at Iowa because of that. His points are hard sells in my opinion. Saying that Iowa doesn't go out and schedule top ten teams on a regular basis is true. But remind us all about how many times any team from the south went north. Neutral site games are not the same as a home and home series. Notre Dame does schedule home and homes and or tough games. Alabama played Michigan and Wisconsin. They did and no one argues that point. But Michigan went 8-5 that year and played in Texas. Wisconsin played Iowa at home in a rivalry game this year. Cowherd had been one of the guys to dismiss the Stanford loss at Northwestern because it was the first game. Well lets take out that Wisconsin loss to Alabama on a neutral site then too.

It takes several seasons to overcome the perceptions of outsiders about Iowa. Iowa needs to be ranked year in year out, win bowls and beat MSU, WISC etc to be regarded.

Sparty wasnt always that well respected. They earned it over the last five years or so. Same for Wisconsin. Kansas State took a long time (in the 90's) to gain respect.

Its OK. Enjoy the ride.

It takes several seasons to overcome the perceptions of outsiders about Iowa. Iowa needs to be ranked year in year out, win bowls and beat MSU, WISC etc to be regarded.

Sparty wasnt always that well respected. They earned it over the last five years or so. Same for Wisconsin. Kansas State took a long time (in the 90's) to gain respect.

Its OK. Enjoy the ride.

This is exactly true as to the questionable opinions that have been tossed about. It's not like many in our own fanbase were full believers until after the first B1G game, some not until N'western.

We've been fortunate enough to witness the growth of this entire program in 10 quick weeks. If it wasn't the roller coaster that it's been over the past 2 decades, A) our own fanbase wouldn't have been so disillusioned in recent years, and B) the nat'l media that both follow the sport, and those that just pile on to be trendy, wouldn't need as long of a learning curve to be believers in our team ( and program). We were like 19-19 over the past 3+ years, can you really blame anyone for being skeptical. Respect has to be earned. We're just earning it back again (as we have had to do almost every 4-5 years for a long time now).

Most longtime Hawk fans know how good our long-term records and bowl victories, along with facilities, coaching, pros in NFL, etc have accumulated to make us a solid perennial top 25 program; but if you're out of sight, out of the region, or have other favorite teams or conferences, or an "agenda" to promote, it takes a bit more sometimes to turn chairs and heads.

Be patient and enjoy the ride...we are back "again" to be not only relevant, but to be in the conversation... and not just for the B1G title, but the National title. Will it happen? Probably not, but we have a dang good shot this late in the season to control our own destiny. It IS possible. Let's watch it continue to play out...and hope for the best, so we can sit smugly and puff our chest out at everyone of those blabber head media fools!

Sorry so long, but I feel better now.

Alabama played Michigan and Wisconsin. They did and no one argues that point. But Michigan went 8-5 that year and played in Texas. Wisconsin played Iowa at home in a rivalry game this year. Cowherd had been one of the guys to dismiss the Stanford loss at Northwestern because it was the first game. Well lets take out that Wisconsin loss to Alabama on a neutral site then too.

And no mention of Alabama scheduling Charleston Southern, Lousiana-Monroe and Middle Tennessee. Iowa's OOC may have been slightly tougher than Alabama's this year.

This morning on College Gameday they were discussing scenarios for the college football playoffs. Who would be in and who would be out if this team or that team ran the table. They never even mentioned Iowa. Didn't say Iowa or Hawkeyes once in the segment. It appears their new tactic is to just pretend we don't exist. Ignore them and hopefully they'll go away.

The issue is that what he's saying isn't relevant to this season.

Latest posts