The data is in - Petras is an all-time Hawkeye great

Where is the data that you spoke of in the title of this thread? 2 division titles in a row? Is that the data?
Here's some numbers off the top of my head. I'd give you more but I'm driving right now.

Petras is a winner. He is one of only 9 QB's to have won 10 games in a season. The other 8 were NFL QB's. He has the chance to become the only QB to have won 10 games twice. If it was not for COVID, he could have won 10 games that season (ended the year on a 6 game winning streak). Greatest QB? No. No question. It's Chuck Long who won an amazing 65% of his games while playing in the Big 2 Little 8, just 2% behind Petras. Give Spencer the 3 games against crap teams we beat last year while he was hurt and he's up to 70%. To be fair to the others, I'll leave out the 5 games he missed due to COVID which would put him in 1st place of all Iowa QB's.

Of the QB's that have started for 3 seasons or more, Ricky Stanzi leads the way is ahead of him by 1%. I won't mention that "Rick 6" had weapons like Shonn Greene, Marcus Coker, The Paki Bomb, Marvin McNutt, Tony Moeaki, DJK, Keenan Davis, Colin Sandeman, Terry Strause, and 8 NFL OL to play with because that would seem like I'm trying to make excuses for why Rick 6, who threw 5 interceptions in one of his wins, is not as good as his record seems.

Petras has the chance to become the 1st Iowa QB to win 2 conference championships and could've won a 3rd had it not been for the 2020 season.

I won't mention that "Rick 6" had weapons like Shonn Greene, Marcus Coker, The Paki Bomb, Marvin McNutt, Tony Moeaki, DJK, Keenan Davis, Colin Sandeman, Terry Strause, and 8 NFL OL to play with because that would seem like I'm trying to make excuses for why Rick 6, who threw 5 interceptions in one of his wins, is not as good as his record seems.
I know this thread is in jest, but Petras had weapons like Phil Parker, Jack Campbell, Cooper DeJean, Kaevon Merriweather, Logan Lee, and Joe Evans.

I know this thread is in jest, but Petras had weapons like Phil Parker, Jack Campbell, Cooper DeJean, Kaevon Merriweather, Logan Lee, and Joe Evans.
Yeah, to put a bit of perspective on Petras' games, he probably had the best field position of any other QB. Not sure where to look it up, though. Just trying to make sense of what I saw.

You left out Taylor.
His field flipping ability maximized the value of the 'offensive' weapons you listed.

In fact, I'm gonna say it. Who do you give the season MVP to? Campbell? DeJean? They both deserve it, for sure. But you can't give it to two. I think what they do isn't as possible without Lee et. al up front. Moss is no slouch either. Clearly, it's dangerous throwing the ball against Iowa. And until Saturday, it wasn't like running the ball was the answer to the Iowa defense. It's such a complete defense. Who do you pick?

I think we have to say that the key piece in this puzzle of a season is none other than Tory Taylor.

And....I actually don't think my tongue is in my cheek. I think I might be totally serious.

You left out Taylor.
His field flipping ability maximized the value of the 'offensive' weapons you listed.

In fact, I'm gonna say it. Who do you give the season MVP to? Campbell? DeJean? They both deserve it, for sure. But you can't give it to two. I think what they do isn't as possible without Lee et. al up front. Moss is no slouch either. Clearly, it's dangerous throwing the ball against Iowa. And until Saturday, it wasn't like running the ball was the answer to the Iowa defense. It's such a complete defense. Who do you pick?

I think we have to say that the key piece in this puzzle of a season is none other than Tory Taylor.

And....I actually don't think my tongue is in my cheek. I think I might be totally serious.
Beginning of the season I'd say Taylor, but he's cooled off noticeably since the season started.

You have to go with Campbell. He's made the most consistent impact over the course of the year. Cooper has made more splash plays arguably, and the Wisconsin game would be an L without him, but without Campbell this season is very, very different than it already is.

This kid has been shit on relentlessly this season and I just want to set the record straight. This kid is legit. Is he going to win a Heisman? No. Is he ever gonna win you the natty? No. But he's fucking awesome.

Let's look at his performance.

2020 - really weird year, strife within the program, season started late, straight into the conference slate. Dude wins 6 games and would have won 8 if Michigan and Missouri weren't too chicken shit to play us. Petras didn't have games to work out the kinks and we dropped 2 early, but it was otherwise a perfect year out of him.

2021 - He had us ranked #2 in the country. We all knew we weren't really number 2, but we got there. Not many Iowa QBs in the history books can say that. The deep pass against Penn State was a work of art.

2022 - His best year, IMHO. I really cannot overstate how bad the line was to start the season. You guys know it was horrific. And with injuries the WR corps has been awful at times (there are guys who may be really good, but they are too young to be impact players). Petras caught shit from everyone. We've all seen Iowa implode when they get challenged like they did earlier this year and Petras has kept his head high and he goes out and wins games.

Here we are, the final week of the season, and Iowa still has a shot at the conference title. I think we would have to dig deep into the history books to find another Iowa QB who had us in position for consecutive conference titles going into the last week of the season. The kid plays within himself and does what the coaches ask of him. The coaches know we have really special units on defense and special teams and all they need the QB to do is take care of the pill. Every QB in the Ferentz era has been unable to duplicate a great season. Banks only had one. Chandler had one. Tate was unreal in 2004 but the d-line turnover in 2005 ruined that team. Stanzi had an insane run in 2009, no need to rehash 2010. And our last run at the conference title without Petras was of course 2015 with CJB, which was followed by a dud in 2016.

No matter what happens from here on out, this kid is a legend. Most of you guys would be a puddle of piss if half of Kinnick was booing every time you walked off the field. If this kid is walking on senior day (I don't know if he has a covid year or whatever) you dudes at the game better cheer so loud for him that it shakes windows in Coralville. He may be a lumbering statue with tunnel vision and moderate accuracy issues, but he's OUR lumbering statue with tunnel vision and moderate accuracy issues.

We love you Spencer!
Well done. I'll take him on my team.

Ever notice HOW MUCH he and Brian Ferentz sound alike. If I didn't know who was being interviewed on the radio, I wouldn't know. It's not just their voices sound the same, they have the same mannerisms and choice of words and phrases. Eery!

Last edited:
I certainly did. There's always kernels of truth in OK4P posts, which makes his trolling provocative and conversation inducing.

He makes me laugh, and is entertaining.

Haven't been able to be on the site as much this year, glad you've kept it rolling Fry

This is what makes him a legend and what I appreciate. It just isn't true babble. He always has some underlying point. It's gold.

Here's some numbers off the top of my head. I'd give you more but I'm driving right now.

Petras is a winner. He is one of only 9 QB's to have won 10 games in a season. The other 8 were NFL QB's. He has the chance to become the only QB to have won 10 games twice. If it was not for COVID, he could have won 10 games that season (ended the year on a 6 game winning streak). Greatest QB? No. No question. It's Chuck Long who won an amazing 65% of his games while playing in the Big 2 Little 8, just 2% behind Petras. Give Spencer the 3 games against crap teams we beat last year while he was hurt and he's up to 70%. To be fair to the others, I'll leave out the 5 games he missed due to COVID which would put him in 1st place of all Iowa QB's.

Of the QB's that have started for 3 seasons or more, Ricky Stanzi leads the way is ahead of him by 1%. I won't mention that "Rick 6" had weapons like Shonn Greene, Marcus Coker, The Paki Bomb, Marvin McNutt, Tony Moeaki, DJK, Keenan Davis, Colin Sandeman, Terry Strause, and 8 NFL OL to play with because that would seem like I'm trying to make excuses for why Rick 6, who threw 5 interceptions in one of his wins, is not as good as his record seems.

Petras has the chance to become the 1st Iowa QB to win 2 conference championships and could've won a 3rd had it not been for the 2020 season.

Damn impressive. I'd hate to see what you would point out if you weren't driving!

Beginning of the season I'd say Taylor, but he's cooled off noticeably since the season started.

You have to go with Campbell. He's made the most consistent impact over the course of the year. Cooper has made more splash plays arguably, and the Wisconsin game would be an L without him, but without Campbell this season is very, very different than it already is.
Taylor declined with the weather, which wasn't as big of a problem last year. The style is great for getting bounce back to kill the ball and he can get good distance, but the style is terrible against the wind. He also looks like a fish out of water when backed up in his endzone. He's still good, just not as mind-blowing.

Iowa oft uses an additional player to protect him (his style isn't quick), but yet Iowa gets a lot of players downfield to prevent a run back meaning he gets a lot of hang time which also is wind impacted.

Taylor declined with the weather, which wasn't as big of a problem last year. The style is great for getting bounce back to kill the ball and he can get good distance, but the style is terrible against the wind. He also looks like a fish out of water when backed up in his endzone. He's still good, just not as mind-blowing.

Iowa oft uses an additional player to protect him (his style isn't quick), but yet Iowa gets a lot of players downfield to prevent a run back meaning he gets a lot of hang time which also is wind impacted.

Cooper DeJean is down there on almost every single punt. This after playing downs right before on defense. It's impressive.

Stanzi is a good example. Stanzi was a great QB. I'm not saying Spencer is better than Stanzi, but you are correct that Stanzi had way more weapons. The defense in 2009 was also every bit as salty as this one, maybe even better due to the great line.

I can't describe how pissed off I was walking out of the Illini game last month. That display was one for the ages. I thought we were doomed, particularly after what Ohio did to us after the Illini game. But Petras rallied the troops.

In 2010 when the wheels came off the bus with Stanzi at the helm, oh my did they come off the bus. The 2010 game in Evanston was one of the worst Iowa games I have ever seen - it was so fucking bad that I actually bought Northwestern season tickets because I was so fucking disgusted. It wasn't that we lost, it was how we lost. Rick didn't take care of the ball. On one pick he tossed it deep into a monstrous wind and it got picked off and DJK threw a hissy fit instead of trying to tackle the guy with the ball. That team absolutely melted down during the stretch and I fully expected this to be a repeat of that or the "fat cats" era but it hasn't been. To me that speaks volumes about Spencer's leadership. That young man is going to go on to do great things outside of football. I don't want to sound like an old man, but they don't make a lot of kids with character like Spencer's anymore.

In terms of his talent as a QB, he's not on the radar of Iowa greats. No argument there, but in terms of his intangibles he might be the best we've ever had, which is why I put on him the list with the greats.