The Cubs' $18,875,000 Man

Who says they have to trade him? They can always put him on waivers and see if anyone bites. The Red Sox did it with Manny several years ago, but nobody bit on that. Players get put on waivers all the time, but the majority of the time it's kept pretty quiet.

Zambrano has been the most coddled player on the team since Sosa, and the Cubs shipped Sammy's *** to Baltimore despite owing him money, and that was with penny-pinching McFail running the team.

It's not like it matters anyhow. Not for this team, and not for this year.
Agreed. Bus, this is what I was thinking of. I don't think it will probably happen, but someone might bite on the waiver wire. There have been examples of problem players being picked up by other teams who think they can straighten them out.

LOL

The reason he cant be traded is because he has one of the 5 worst contracts in baseball. This is the same reason no one will claim him off waivers. He is an immovable object. If you think someone is going to take a $20 million dollar a year man off waivers in this economy youre even more delusional then i thought.

Z is either a Cub or the Cubs will have to pay someone to take him. Those are the two options

Agreed. Bus, this is what I was thinking of. I don't think it will probably happen, but someone might bite on the waiver wire. There have been examples of problem players being picked up by other teams who think they can straighten them out.

If you can give me one example in last few years of this happening for someone making the money Z is owed I will admit I am wrong

The closest thing I can think of is the white Sox trading NOBODY for Alex Rios, it was a pure salary dump by the Jays but Rios was not a clubouse problem and had upside which he is showing this year

LOL

The reason he cant be traded is because he has one of the 5 worst contracts in baseball. This is the same reason no one will claim him off waivers. He is an immovable object. If you think someone is going to take a $20 million dollar a year man off waivers in this economy youre even more delusional then i thought.

Z is either a Cub or the Cubs will have to pay someone to take him. Those are the two options

A player being waived and player being traded are two different things. In effect, placing a player on the waiver is the same thing as releasing him. Any team that makes a claim has 10 days to work out a deal with the other team. A lot of times, if the two teams can't work something out, the waived player is pulled back and no one even knows about it.

Hendry has swindled some fools before, I wouldn't put it past him to do it again, and then hopefully resign afterward.

A player being waived and player being traded are two different things. In effect, placing a player on the waiver is the same thing as releasing him. Any team that makes a claim has 10 days to work out a deal with the other team. A lot of times, if the two teams can't work something out, the waived player is pulled back and no one even knows about it.

Hendry has swindled some fools before, I wouldn't put it past him to do it again, and then hopefully resign afterward.

In understand the difference between a trade and the waiver wire. No one is going to claim a guy on waivers with Zambrano's contract and therefore the Cubs are stuck with him

Do you honestly think anyone is going to claim Z? Cmon, you have a better chance of getting claimed

In understand the difference between a trade and the waiver wire. No one is going to claim a guy on waivers with Zambrano's contract and therefore the Cubs are stuck with him

Do you honestly think anyone is going to claim Z? Cmon, you have a better chance of getting claimed

No, I don't, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. The Cubs don't need Z's approval to put him on the waiver wire, and yes a team would claim him if it meant the Cubs were going to pay the remainder of his salary. If it hasn't been done all ready, I'd be surprised.

No, I don't, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. The Cubs don't need Z's approval to put him on the waiver wire, and yes a team would claim him if it meant the Cubs were going to pay the remainder of his salary. If it hasn't been done all ready, I'd be surprised.

I dont know what youre arguing with me about. I said several posts ago the only way the Cubs get rid of Z is by paying at least the majority of his salary. Then you and Woody implied the waiver wire would work....which it wont unless the cubs eat at least 75% of his remaining salary

The best option remains to make him pitch every day and throw 800 pitches a week until he retires out of pain or his arm falls off and they can collect the insurance money.

I dont know what youre arguing with me about. I said several posts ago the only way the Cubs get rid of Z is by paying at least the majority of his salary. Then you and Woody implied the waiver wire would work....which it wont unless the cubs eat at least 75% of his remaining salary

The best option remains to make him pitch every day and throw 800 pitches a week until he retires out of pain or his arm falls off and they can collect the insurance money.
Besides that not being realistic, I don't have a problem with it. :)

2 smaller examples:

1) Dontrelle Willis is owed $12 this year. Detroit put him on waivers and then worked out a deal to Arizona (including $). This is a much smaller scale than Z and less years on the deal.

2) Jose Contreras was signed to a 4 year, $32 million contract in December 2002. He was traded to the White Sox before 2 years of the contract were done because he struggled with the Yanks.

Again, not as much as Big Z (or even the clubhouse problems necessarily), but it happens. If a team thinks they can fix him, the Cubs can try to dump him (and they will pay a lot of his salary). What is hurt by putting him on waivers?

Besides that not being realistic, I don't have a problem with it. :)

2 smaller examples:

1) Dontrelle Willis is owed $12 this year. Detroit put him on waivers and then worked out a deal to Arizona (including $). This is a much smaller scale than Z and less years on the deal.

2) Jose Contreras was signed to a 4 year, $32 million contract in December 2002. He was traded to the White Sox before 2 years of the contract were done because he struggled with the Yanks.

Again, not as much as Big Z (or even the clubhouse problems necessarily), but it happens. If a team thinks they can fix him, the Cubs can try to dump him (and they will pay a lot of his salary). What is hurt by putting him on waivers?

Nothing is hurt....and my guess is its already been done. If the Cubs can find a sucker then Christmas will come early

Z is a liability. Who knows what he'll do next time. Probably break a bone of somebody's, and it'll most likely be the star player at the time considering the Cubs luck. Screw Z, I can't stand the guy. Never really understood the love-fest for him. He's a complete idiot and I wish they would get rid of him, but like others have already pointed out, that contract is just horrible. And Hendry needs to go as well for making stupid move after stupid move.

Z is a liability. Who knows what he'll do next time. Probably break a bone of somebody's, and it'll most likely be the star player at the time considering the Cubs luck. Screw Z, I can't stand the guy. Never really understood the love-fest for him. He's a complete idiot and I wish they would get rid of him, but like others have already pointed out, that contract is just horrible. And Hendry needs to go as well for making stupid move after stupid move.

Us Cardinals fans love....LOVE....Mr. Hendry!

yep, Z has been brutal, but not as big of a waste of money as Soriano

Last edited:
yep, Z has been brutal, but not as big of a waste of money as Soriano

I don't know. Thus far Z has 12 wins for $37+ Million in two years. Soriano still has his flashes behind the plate. Both contracts are completely brutal and the Cubs will never be able to move either player. They need to hope they do something stupid and can void their contracts (No idea what that could be). The real villan in all of this should be Hendry. I see everyone jumping on how bad these two players are, and rightfully so they are bad. But if they weren't saddled with such horrible contracts, they could be moved from the Cubs. Hendry is responsible for this whole fiasco. No question about it.
As for Sweet Lou, he is done and over the hill. He doesn't want to get involved in anything and has not taken any control over anything on this team. He is just going to collect his last 3 months of pay and then move back down to Florida and drink booze on the beach.

Too bad performance can't be tied to wages...

It can though. Lots of MLB players have incentive laden contracts. You can reward players by given them decent money with escalators for good performance over the life of the contract. However Hendry has just been throwing out huge guarenteed money on long term deals with full no trade clauses. As I mentioned before Hendry has been the problem for last several years. I am seriously hoping he is on the ship out of town with Lou at year's end.

I will argue that though Soriano's contract is ridiculous, he's a good clubhouse guy and compared to Z that makes his contract much better in my eyes. No he can't hit the ball that bounces twice before it makes it to the plate, but he's more respected by his teammates and that goes a long ways. I think Hendry might be done after this year, and the Cubs will have many new faces next year.

It can though. Lots of MLB players have incentive laden contracts. You can reward players by given them decent money with escalators for good performance over the life of the contract. However Hendry has just been throwing out huge guarenteed money on long term deals with full no trade clauses. As I mentioned before Hendry has been the problem for last several years. I am seriously hoping he is on the ship out of town with Lou at year's end.

He has thrown out a lot of bad deals, Soriano, Fukudome, Bradley, but I don't think Z's was that bad of a deal. Obviously it hasn't turned out well, but look at his numbers before the deal and he was entering the prime of his career. He was a top 5 five NL pitcher when he signed that deal, if Hendry wouldn't have paid him there were plenty of other teams out there that would have. So while I still think he's made a lot of mistakes, I don't blame him for Zambrano's contract.

Latest posts