The conference is going to be a meat grinder this year

homes

Moreso than most years. If Iowa goes 11-9/10-10 I think that will be a pretty good year; anything above that will be gravy. The same holds true for most other teams, too. Northwestern and Nebraska don't look to be very good, but even they will win some games this year. Every other game looks like it will be a battle. Steal a road win or two will be huge.

Iowa's beefed up non-conference schedule will do them good in March.

Isaiah Livers is out indefinitely for Michigan. Some would argue that he’s their best player. If he’s out against Iowa in a couple weeks that completely changes the outlook for that game in my opinion.

I agree the conference is going to be an absolute battle. Outside of the bottom two, I do think Penn State, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, and even Purdue, still have issues, but Iowa probably has some as well. Lots of teams are streaky, catch them on a good night and lookout, catch them on a down night and they can be beaten.

Yeah, of all the seasons when a 10-11 man rotation was needed ....

The young guards will most likely lose their legs 1/2 - 2/3 through the conference.

Looking at our schedule, I feel pretty good about getting out to a good start. 7-3 at the halfway pole looks doable...

We're gonna finish in the top 4 of the conference.

I will say, if you are basing it off the results we've seen so far this year, I will agree. I still don't know what this team looks like without Jordan long term, but I think the more Joe plays the better they are gonna get and it actually could be over all an upgrade.... it just sucks losing that kind of sniper.

Moreso than most years. If Iowa goes 11-9/10-10 I think that will be a pretty good year; anything above that will be gravy. The same holds true for most other teams, too. Northwestern and Nebraska don't look to be very good, but even they will win some games this year. Every other game looks like it will be a battle. Steal a road win or two will be huge.

i'm excited about how we've played, so far. but we are extremely thin on the front line and new in the back court. RU is a bad matchup for us. i am sticking with 7 wins in conf. we'll get beat by MSU, MD, WUs, PU, OSU. that leaves 10 winnable games for us. 7-3 in those games would be achievable. this is why i was so disappointed we lost to SDU as i feel we needed that game and a couple of B1G tourney wins to scratch to 20 wins. dunno that we get there, now.

i'm excited about how we've played, so far. but we are extremely thin on the front line and new in the back court. RU is a bad matchup for us. i am sticking with 7 wins in conf. we'll get beat by MSU, MD, WUs, PU, OSU. that leaves 10 winnable games for us. 7-3 in those games would be achievable. this is why i was so disappointed we lost to SDU as i feel we needed that game and a couple of B1G tourney wins to scratch to 20 wins. dunno that we get there, now.
Sorry this is a pet peeve but Wisconsin is UW not WU. You think we lose to them at Carver? Wisconsin has been horrible away from the Kohl Center this year.

Also we already have 1 B1G win so 7 more would be 8.

Also we do not need 20 wins to dance. 19 we will be a lock and 18 will put us firmly on the bubble.

Last edited:
Who woulda thunk.... Iowa vs PSU early in the season would be a huge game in the BIG LOL.
I will say, I've been critical of Fran's antics and have worn tired of them and ready to just be done with him. Been embarrassed honestly and feel like the team melts down in the clutch like he does. Is it just me or is has demeanor thus far been much better on the bench? I thought the old Fran would have melted down vs. Cincy when we were struggling and our team would have blown that game. I thought him keeping his composure when we were struggling helped the team maintain confidence and pull out a tough grind it kind of win.

Sorry this is a pet peeve but Wisconsin is UW not WU. You think we lose to them at Carver? Wisconsin has been horrible away from the Kohl Center this year.

Also we already have 1 B1G win so 7 more would be 8.

Also we do not need 20 wins to dance. 19 we will be a lock and 18 will put us firmly on the bubble.

i'm going off our track record under fran. what is our record home/away under fran? i can think of 1 win and that was jbo's FR season when he hit the 3 to win. otherwise, i can't remember another win, but i'd suspect we have 1 or 2 more, but that's probably it.

i'm going off our track record under fran. what is our record home/away under fran? i can think of 1 win and that was jbo's FR season when he hit the 3 to win. otherwise, i can't remember another win, but i'd suspect we have 1 or 2 more, but that's probably it.

If you're talking about Wisconsin specifically, I remember Iowa winning there I think during Aaron White's freshman season. Year 2 under Fran I think?

As for this year, it's tough to say but looking at the schedule, a lot of the games appear winnable IMO, but it does get pretty brutal late. So this is one year where I can forgive a late season slide, with games starting with that 2/13 game @IU starting a pretty rough stretch.

I've learned better than to try to estimate our record - I get burned every time I try to be optimistic, so I'm just going to take this as it comes. I will say that I believe 10 conference wins is doable but probably about best case IMO. I've given up trying to predict game by game W/L in this league.

Question: Has Iowa EVER played Penn State in basketball where both teams were ranked at the same time? If so, I can't recall.

Last edited:
We only play UW once this year and it’s at Carver. Last year they beat us at Carver in the early season conference play in a tight one. Two years ago we hammered them at Carver. I’m sure Wisconsin’s final four teams won at Carver, in fact I was at one of those. This isn’t that type of Wisconsin team though they have some major issues which is why they have 5 losses to St Mary’s, Richmond, New Mexico, NC State, and Rutgers.

Who woulda thunk.... Iowa vs PSU early in the season would be a huge game in the BIG LOL.
I will say, I've been critical of Fran's antics and have worn tired of them and ready to just be done with him. Been embarrassed honestly and feel like the team melts down in the clutch like he does. Is it just me or is has demeanor thus far been much better on the bench? I thought the old Fran would have melted down vs. Cincy when we were struggling and our team would have blown that game. I thought him keeping his composure when we were struggling helped the team maintain confidence and pull out a tough grind it kind of win.

Fran melts down when the officiating is blatantly screwing us bad. That hasn't happened yet this year. When it inevitably does, he will melt down, and rightfully so.

We only play UW once this year and it’s at Carver. Last year they beat us at Carver in the early season conference play in a tight one. Two years ago we hammered them at Carver. I’m sure Wisconsin’s final four teams won at Carver, in fact I was at one of those. This isn’t that type of Wisconsin team though they have some major issues which is why they have 5 losses to St Mary’s, Richmond, New Mexico, NC State, and Rutgers.

ok, i remember that one now. but i'd still like to know what our record is against them. i'd imagine its horrible

ok, i remember that one now. but i'd still like to know what our record is against them. i'd imagine its horrible
Wisconsin has gone to the sweet 16 or better 6 times in the last 9 years including two final fours, so I would agree our record probably isn’t great against them.

HOLY SHIT! This might be the most positive post I have ever seen you post on this site, are you serious, or just joking?

Getting a head start on New Year’s Eve. :D

Just kidding but that fourth place finish is unlikely given the lack of depth and experience at the guard position.

Eighth or ninth place is more likely.

Brutal schedule. The BIG is idiotic for unilaterally going to 20 game schedule. Conference is too tough for that. 16-18 yearly wins will be an accomplishment

Latest posts