The Committee Has Spoken...

Meh, I'm talking top tier wins. Minny & ISU don't count. Wisky counts. Needed to beat OSU, Indiana, or MSU. Oh, and not lose to Nebby.

They didn't deserve to be in.

Ok, you said "good" teams, not "top-tier", but yeah, Iowa only beat one ranked team all year - Wisconsin. You do make a reasonable point. But I still think Iowa gets in if they replace all those 300+ RPI teams with teams 150 or so, and their RPI is 50 instead of 78. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Ok, you said "good" teams, not "top-tier", but yeah, Iowa only beat one ranked team all year - Wisconsin. You do make a reasonable point. But I still think Iowa gets in if they replace all those 300+ RPI teams with teams 150 or so, and their RPI is 50 instead of 78. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

You kind of just described Kentucky and Tennessee so I don't think scheduling less crappy, but still crappy RPI teams would have been the factor. We had to take one more game from one of the good Big 10 schools for us to have been in.

The saddest part is that over the years teams with the highest ooc SOS typically get beat in the tourney because it means they haven't played any mid majors. Not saying our scheduling was good (it wasn't) but it has been proven that you need to play mid majors in the ooc because then your team will know their style. Because most play a nothing to lose style and unless you played them you won't be ready for it.

You kind of just described Kentucky and Tennessee so I don't think scheduling less crappy, but still crappy RPI teams would have been the factor. We had to take one more game from one of the good Big 10 schools for us to have been in.

Yeah, but their conference was really bad. It wasn't our fault we got VA Tech in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.

I guess you're right bcl. I really did think UK would probably get in. And I thought TN or Bama, and neither one got in (did they?).

Definitely a mid-major heavy bracket. Seems like mid-majors who go 25-6 get in over power conference teams who break even in conference play. Guess I can see that perspective.

Yeah you're right - Iowa blew too many chances against teams like MSU, Minny, Wisconsin, Purdue, etc. this year.

Then again, Minny & ILL got in at 8-10 in conference play. Non-con is critical, apparently.

If you are honest with yourselves, can anyone here genuinely say they are surprised Iowa did not get an NCAA tourney invite? Disappointed, maybe a little. But surprised? This die was cast at the beginning of the season with a soft non-conference schedule and a total of approximately eight minutes spread out over the ends of four games against ranked opponents.

I guess you're right bcl. I really did think UK would probably get in. And I thought TN or Bama, and neither one got in (did they?).

Definitely a mid-major heavy bracket. Seems like mid-majors who go 25-6 get in over power conference teams who break even in conference play. Guess I can see that perspective.

Yeah you're right - Iowa blew too many chances against teams like MSU, Minny, Wisconsin, Purdue, etc. this year.

Then again, Minny & ILL got in at 8-10 in conference play. Non-con is critical, apparently.

I would say it's more beating good teams, regardless of when. Illinois beat Gonzaga, Butler and Indiana. Minnesota beat Indiana, Michigan State among others. We beat Wisconsin and some other low seeds in the tournament. It is what it is.

If you are honest with yourselves, can anyone here genuinely say they are surprised Iowa did not get an NCAA tourney invite? Disappointed, maybe a little. But surprised? This die was cast at the beginning of the season with a soft non-conference schedule and a total of approximately eight minutes spread out over the ends of four games against ranked opponents.

I remember this topic did come up before the season started - the non conference schedule.

So yeah, a touch disappointed, but not at all surprised.

I would say it's more beating good teams, regardless of when. Illinois beat Gonzaga, Butler and Indiana. Minnesota beat Indiana, Michigan State among others. We beat Wisconsin and some other low seeds in the tournament. It is what it is.

Very true. Iowa blew way too many games this year against good opponents. Win 2-3 of those, Iowa is in. That, plus a better non conference schedule = good seed.

I really thought some of the bubble teams that didn't get it in deserved to be in. I think the committee better be careful not to make this tourney about trying to find a Cinderella team. It doesn't mean as much if this many of the teams are mid majors and below.

It's ok. Fran has learned his lesson regarding the OOC schedule. We have no reasons/excuses for having a weak noncon schedule from here on out.

The committee sent a message to power conferences. No crap schedules. You need to beat more than one team of note at home and you need to beat someone good on the road.

It's ok. Fran has learned his lesson regarding the OOC schedule. We have no reasons/excuses for having a weak noncon schedule from here on out.

Again, Fran didn't schedule the team. The AD did.

Barta....are you listening?

Again, Fran didn't schedule the team. The AD did.

Barta....are you listening?

if you think the head coach has no input on scheduling you are either high or ignorant. Even in hs the hc has input on schedule. The hc has a lot of say on schedule outside of what preseason tourney you are invited to.

I found it interesting the past month or so that when you brought up the RPI people would discredit it here on HN. The fact is the RPI will remain supreme, like it or not. It isn't going away.

If things don't improve with our OOC Schedule will be in the same situation next year..

From what I see the Mid-Majors programs are playing the RPI game.

Last edited:
As long as their is the RPI it will always reign supreme, like it or not. I found it interesting the past month or so that when and if you brought up the RPI people would discredit it. The fact is the RPI will remain supreme, like it or not.

If things don't improve with our OOC Schedule will be in the same situation next year..

From what I see the Mid-Majors programs are playing the RPI game.

Smart people discredit it as a reliable statistic because it's terrible but they also know that the committee uses it, primarily, in their decision making.

Latest posts