The Circus is in town official game thread

Bowen seemed more out of control last night in his limited minutes, so probably why he sat a lot. Not sure why he didn't get in for the 2nd half when we were up so big to help him play more under control.
Exactly. It wasn't like Ulis was playing great and taking care of the ball either he had 6 TOs. Some of them were pretty bad. In the last 10 mins of the game I figured Bowen shoulda played most of them.

Yeah he played tough. Be nice if he can cut down on the TOs some. I'm sure that'll be focused on for him.

If I were to nitpick anything about last night it'd be TOs as a team. They kinda got sloppy there for a stretch in the 2nd half (understandable with how the score was to an extent) and why did Bowen only play a couple mins?? That's exactly the kind of game he should have gotten more time in. Especially in the 2nd half. To me that's head scratching
Bowen looked overwhelmed in his minutes last night IMO. I would have liked to see him more as well but that whole little 3 or 4 minute deal with them inbounding the ball and turning it over and ISU getting some easy buckets was all on Bowen. He then turned it over again inbounding the ball under our basket.

I am not THAT concerned about Ulis's handles or Bowen's for that matter, ISU leads the nation is turnovers - Iowa leads the nation in not turning it over. Something had to give there a little and he was just getting in the lane any time he wanted.

Ogundele going to contribute anything meaningful this year?
If he's going to give you 4-5 minutes a game, in league play, they ought to let him use up all his fouls on hard legal fouls not letting the opposing teams big get a decent shot. Why not?

Let him lean on and be physical with opposing teams 5's. Let him bully Eddy when playing Purdue, for instance.

I mean there have been close games in the past where Iowa needed to have more fouls in the end to get the other team to go to the line for 1-1. You, as a team, actually want so many fouls against you in close games to put the other team on the line. Might as well let Olugundee use them, IMO.

PMac is the second leading scorer on the team. Played much better in the second half.

Patrick defiantly played better in the second half. Sandfort as a freshmen looked like he would be a prolific scorer. I think he eventually will be. It seems like he is just going through a little bit of a slump.

Bowen looked overwhelmed in his minutes last night IMO. I would have liked to see him more as well but that whole little 3 or 4 minute deal with them inbounding the ball and turning it over and ISU getting some easy buckets was all on Bowen. He then turned it over again inbounding the ball under our basket.

I am not THAT concerned about Ulis's handles or Bowen's for that matter, ISU leads the nation is turnovers - Iowa leads the nation in not turning it over. Something had to give there a little and he was just getting in the lane any time he wanted.
For sure no doubt to all you said Bowen did struggle those few mins he played in 1st half. I just figured with the huge lead there'd never be a better opportunity on a big stage for Bowen to get some mins like that. Couple that with Ulis not playing all that hot either turning it over during that stretch in 2nd half with like 5 or 6 mins left. I felt there's no better time to play guys like Bowen Dix and big Josh.

Now Bowen may feel he doesn't have the coaches confidence due to it all and that could be problematic down the road. I sure hope not because he's the future of this program I think.

Patrick defiantly played better in the second half. Sandfort as a freshmen looked like he would be a prolific scorer. I think he eventually will be. It seems like he is just going through a little bit of a slump.
Sandfort I'm becoming torn on. Because he plays hard. He'll go inside he's gotten some big boards offensively and defensive ones. He runs hard he screens knows where to be spacing wise. He just isn't hitting his shots. And defensively it kinda looks like he is who he is there too. Kinda like how JBo was it'll take a village to help them at that end. He's already lost his starting gig and I wonder how many of his mins will be cut into if he keeps shooting so poorly.

Win 500! Uis looks spent

They were fatigued the last last 6-8 minutes of the game

Ulis and Connor, especially, were going full throttle the entire game, both played 36 minutes

Rebraca: 37 minutes

Perkins: 31 minutes because he was in foul trouble

Patrick: 28 minutes

Four reserves played a total of 31 minutes

I was surprised the Lads had so much energy

When last night's game was over:

The Duke game hadn't even started at MSG

The Lads were in constant motion the entire game

It was like poetry in motion, expert teamwork the entire game

Ogundele going to contribute anything meaningful this year?

I do believe he has a solid role, Riley also to a lesser degree

Ogy is a BIG Body, takes up space are protects the rim

He cannot be pushed around

He and Riley have ten hard, Smash A MFer to the Foor Fouls to use

Ogy has intense attitude

Bowen seemed more out of control last night in his limited minutes, so probably why he sat a lot. Not sure why he didn't get in for the 2nd half when we were up so big to help him play more under control.
He was. First possession he coughed it up. Second possession he stepped on the end line and the officials missed it. Fran could see where that was headed.

Ulis got some eye rolls from the crowd when he went too fast and out of control.

For sure no doubt to all you said Bowen did struggle those few mins he played in 1st half. I just figured with the huge lead there'd never be a better opportunity on a big stage for Bowen to get some mins like that. Couple that with Ulis not playing all that hot either turning it over during that stretch in 2nd half with like 5 or 6 mins left. I felt there's no better time to play guys like Bowen Dix and big Josh.

Now Bowen may feel he doesn't have the coaches confidence due to it all and that could be problematic down the road. I sure hope not because he's the future of this program I think.
Fran has a unique ability to re-instill confidence in a player who has a tough night. Bowen will be fine anf get lots of minutes,

Sandfort I'm becoming torn on. Because he plays hard. He'll go inside he's gotten some big boards offensively and defensive ones. He runs hard he screens knows where to be spacing wise. He just isn't hitting his shots. And defensively it kinda looks like he is who he is there too. Kinda like how JBo was it'll take a village to help them at that end. He's already lost his starting gig and I wonder how many of his mins will be cut into if he keeps shooting so poorly.
I am still in his court, partly because we reallly need him to come through. I agree that his floor game on O is darn good as he finds other ways to help when his 3’s are not falling. I do think you under estimate his D skills. He will find his 3, because he has to.

I do believe he has a solid role, Riley also to a lesser degree

Ogy is a BIG Body, takes up space are protects the rim

He cannot be pushed around

He and Riley have ten hard, Smash A MFer to the Foor Fouls to use

Ogy has intense attitude
CMAC put together one of the best defensive games I have seen from any player in a long time. You needed to be at the game to appreciate what a huge difference he made. I was amazed.

Fran has a unique ability to re-instill confidence in a player who has a tough night. Bowen will be fine anf get lots of minutes,
Yeah and it's still so so early in the season and his career yet you're right. I would have understood it more if say Ulis was playing the game of his life or whatever. I just thought him playing 37 mins with some of the TOs and questionable decisions he was making out there too that he shoulda taken a seat for awhile. I'd be curious to know Frans line of thinking on it.

Yeah and it's still so so early in the season and his career yet you're right. I would have understood it more if say Ulis was playing the game of his life or whatever. I just thought him playing 37 mins with some of the TOs and questionable decisions he was making out there too that he shoulda taken a seat for awhile. I'd be curious to know Frans line of thinking on it.
Yeah. Several of us at the game yelled, “Slow the F down, Aaron!”

Latest posts