the Bottom Line ticket sales

Hooper

I hear a lot of talk about how lack of ticket revenue is going to force us to change coaches. Well I ask you....

We had two instate games going on at the same time last night. One team was a top 25 team playing a conference game, one was perhaps the worst team in the big ten playing a meaningless out of conference game against a lesser opponent.

Which team sold the most tickets? I can assure you it was the Hawkeyes, by a margin of probably 3000. Things are not always what they seem.

Let's don't overreact to this crummy season.

I hear a lot of talk about how lack of ticket revenue is going to force us to change coaches. Well I ask you....

We had two instate games going on at the same time last night. One team was a top 25 team playing a conference game, one was perhaps the worst team in the big ten playing a meaningless out of conference game against a lesser opponent.

Which team sold the most tickets? I can assure you it was the Hawkeyes, by a margin of probably 3000. Things are not always what they seem.

Sorry Hooper, but you are comparing Iowa's basketball program and support to that of Northern Iowa, who plays in the Missouri Valley Conference...up until about three or four years ago, Iowa's men's basketball attendance was Top 25 every single year..like one of only ten schools to be able to say that in the entire sport.

It's not any more.

You have been a season ticket holder for a good time now...I know right where you sit, or at least I used to. You have been there during the 15,500 days. You cannot possibly compare Iowa and UNI basketball with a straight face, from an historical sense?

The basketball program this ten seconds, is as in bad of shape as it has been in my nearly 39 years on the planet.

Dick Schultz, author of the previous low point, had a combined winning percentage of .414 in his years at Iowa from 1970-1974. Right now, Lick is at .437...and if Iowa goes 3-12 the rest of the way, and I think I am being generous by giving them three wins, his three year 'winning' percentage is .385

Attendance continues to drop at a consistent rate and each year we are seeing levels that are unprecedented in the modern era.

This is not an over reaction to a crummy season. the coaches are good people. I have no doubt they work hard. But those are typically things that you say about people when the truth about the job that is being done requires less positive adjectives.

The civil war took place in the fanbase during the Alford era. It's really not that any more. People have spoken with the number of empty seats. That's just the unfortunate reality Iowa finds itself in right now.

That being said, the new facilities are going to help make things better, just as they contributed to the demise of the program. Lickliter inherited a rough situation, and you can't lay a lot of what has gone on at his feet. But in the end, he's the man at the helm, and the lack of attendance is going to be a big factor at some point in time. Thank goodness the football team did what it did this year.

I can put player departures squarely on Lick's shoulders. Iowa is a team lacking quality depth, thanks in large part to those transfers. Put some of the recent transfers back on this team, and the situation is likely better.

Lick has to go.

I'm 1,200 miles away from Iowa City and not privvy to every utterance or word written about the Iowa basketball program.

But from here the lack of public support for Lick and the program from Barta or anyone else in the upper echelons of the university is deafening. Almost like the folks standing around a cook-out waiting to stick the fork in to see if the meal is done.

Is Barta keeping his powder dry for a reason?

I can put player departures squarely on Lick's shoulders. Iowa is a team lacking quality depth, thanks in large part to those transfers. Put some of the recent transfers back on this team, and the situation is likely better.

Lick has to go.

The recruiting under Lickliter has been mediocre at best, and the player retention has been even worse. You're right - if you put JPete and Jake Kelly back on this team, and I think this team is considerably better. That still may not make us a GOOD team, but we wouldn't be half this bad IMO.

And to use the excuse that there were other games going on last night to explain why only 2000-3000 fans only showed up at last night's game.. Well, that is a bigtime reach. UNI had a good team a few years ago as well, and it didn't stop Carver from having 12000+ fans in the seats, and I'm sure those 10000 missing fans weren't at the UNI game. The reality is that these last 3 years have been dreadful, and it is showing by the number of empty seats in the arena. There's no way to explain that away.

UNI sold 4870 tickets last night, and Iowa sold 8015 if you trust the box score. What that means is most likely Iowa has less than 8k season ticket holders, which if I had to guess is way, way lower than it has been over the last 25 years.

Which team had more actual attendance? I've seen pictures so don't try to lie.

UNI sold 4870 tickets last night, and Iowa sold 8015 if you trust the box score. What that means is most likely Iowa has less than 8k season ticket holders, which if I had to guess is way, way lower than it has been over the last 25 years.

Iowa has roughly 8k season ticket holders...probably just north of that.

Sorry Hooper, but you are comparing Iowa's basketball program and support to that of Northern Iowa, who plays in the Missouri Valley Conference...up until about three or four years ago, Iowa's men's basketball attendance was Top 25 every single year..like one of only ten schools to be able to say that in the entire sport.

It's not any more.

You have been a season ticket holder for a good time now...I know right where you sit, or at least I used to. You have been there during the 15,500 days. You cannot possibly compare Iowa and UNI basketball with a straight face, from an historical sense?

The basketball program this ten seconds, is as in bad of shape as it has been in my nearly 39 years on the planet.

Dick Schultz, author of the previous low point, had a combined winning percentage of .414 in his years at Iowa from 1970-1974. Right now, Lick is at .437...and if Iowa goes 3-12 the rest of the way, and I think I am being generous by giving them three wins, his three year 'winning' percentage is .385

Attendance continues to drop at a consistent rate and each year we are seeing levels that are unprecedented in the modern era.

This is not an over reaction to a crummy season. the coaches are good people. I have no doubt they work hard. But those are typically things that you say about people when the truth about the job that is being done requires less positive adjectives.

The civil war took place in the fanbase during the Alford era. It's really not that any more. People have spoken with the number of empty seats. That's just the unfortunate reality Iowa finds itself in right now.

That being said, the new facilities are going to help make things better, just as they contributed to the demise of the program. Lickliter inherited a rough situation, and you can't lay a lot of what has gone on at his feet. But in the end, he's the man at the helm, and the lack of attendance is going to be a big factor at some point in time. Thank goodness the football team did what it did this year.

I guess my point is that the popular view is that UNI is the better program but if you look at ticket revenue that is certainly not the case.

And I am not really defending Iowa, Jon. You are right this is as bad as I have ever seen it. I am just saying it is better than the popular perception.

I think I am being misunderstood a little bit. I guess I didn't express myself very well.

Was I out of line in talking about our ticket revenue not being as bad as everyone thinks?

Last edited:
I guess my point is that the popular view is that UNI is the better program but if you look at ticket revenue that is certainly not the case.

And I am not really defending Iowa, Jon. You are right this is as bad as I have ever seen it. I am just saying it is better than the popular perception.

I think I am being misunderstood a little bit. I guess I didn't express myself very well.

Was I out of line in talking about our ticket revenue not being as bad as everyone thinks?

I dont think you were out of line. It's a message board after all :)

Right now, I think you have a lot of people that continue to buy their season tickets either based off faith that things will get better, and they want their seats when it turns around, or they are just making a donation to Iowa athletics...either way, a lot of them are not going to the games.

And it will be interesting in a year or two when Iowa tries to reseat Carver the way they did Kinnick. I think they would have already done that were it not for the tough times with attendance. They know they cant do that right now

I agree. The reseating should happen not next year, but the year following. As part of the renovation some of the seating will be changed, so they have to reseat it. If we have shown no progress by that time I don't know what they are going to do.

So, simple mathematics would say UNI has sold a better PERCENTAGE of seats for last night's contest than did Iowa.

4870/6750 = .721

8015/15,500 = .517

Latest posts