The Annual "Fran Fade" Has Started - AGAIN - This Needs to be the Last One

GVGiant44

I keep looking at this Iowa men's team, and I barely recognize them. Early in the season, there wasn't one team in the B1G that even slightly scared me. Our team was easily better than all of them. I don't know where that team went, but I haven't seen it in weeks.

Yes, I know - the substitution patterns are horrible - the people playing and not playing are all out of whack. We aren't working nearly hard enough to work the ball - and find suitable sets to get the ball - to Luka Garza. The defense is virtually nonexistent.

But why do we have to see this every single year? One year, we were near the top of the league at the end of January and ended up in a play-in game for the NCAA tournament. Another year, we went from 5th in the country in early February to barely a 7-seed by the time the tournament came around. And a lowly 10-seed took us to OT that year. This year, we were, at one time, listed as a #1 seed. Now, based on who we have beaten, do we even belong in the NCAA tournament?? (Objectively, the answer has to be "BARELY".)

Every year when we have gone from fantastic to flop, I have asked, "WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED??" - and never once have I gotten anything close to a satisfactory answer. This team, when they play with an edge, is really something special to watch. But I get the impression that, once again, now that it's February, we won't see that team again. To hell with it.

I'm going to say it - especially if this season ends the way every other season has, this has got to be Fran's last. The fan base has given him more patience and more leniency than any coach I know - and we have nothing - and I mean NOTHING to show for it. We haven't even played on a Saturday in the Big 10 conference tournament since he became coach - and we have barely ever even played on Friday.

We have a good core of players that a new coach can build around. The time has come - Fran gets this team back on top or he is gone, period.

I keep looking at this Iowa men's team, and I barely recognize them. Early in the season, there wasn't one team in the B1G that even slightly scared me. Our team was easily better than all of them. I don't know where that team went, but I haven't seen it in weeks.

Yes, I know - the substitution patterns are horrible - the people playing and not playing are all out of whack. We aren't working nearly hard enough to work the ball - and find suitable sets to get the ball - to Luka Garza. The defense is virtually nonexistent.

But why do we have to see this every single year? One year, we were near the top of the league at the end of January and ended up in a play-in game for the NCAA tournament. Another year, we went from 5th in the country in early February to barely a 7-seed by the time the tournament came around. And a lowly 10-seed took us to OT that year. This year, we were, at one time, listed as a #1 seed. Now, based on who we have beaten, do we even belong in the NCAA tournament?? (Objectively, the answer has to be "BARELY".)

Every year when we have gone from fantastic to flop, I have asked, "WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED??" - and never once have I gotten anything close to a satisfactory answer. This team, when they play with an edge, is really something special to watch. But I get the impression that, once again, now that it's February, we won't see that team again. To hell with it.

I'm going to say it - especially if this season ends the way every other season has, this has got to be Fran's last. The fan base has given him more patience and more leniency than any coach I know - and we have nothing - and I mean NOTHING to show for it. We haven't even played on a Saturday in the Big 10 conference tournament since he became coach - and we have barely ever even played on Friday.

We have a good core of players that a new coach can build around. The time has come - Fran gets this team back on top or he is gone, period.
I totally disagree with the idea of a coaching change. But all I want to ask is who you want to hire that is better and will take the job?

You were blinded by hype if none of the B1G teams scared you. We have one of the best teams we have ever had including the best player that we have ever had and you want Fran gone?

The losing starts when we start playing teams that are damn good teams with very athletic guards. We should just enjoy the ride and hope our shooters catch fire in the tournament. I for one never thought this was a top 10 team but they are really good for Iowa. My only issue with Fran would be the fact that Connor has a scholarship and plays as much as he does but other than that he’s done pretty damn good this year.

I totally disagree with the idea of a coaching change. But all I want to ask is who you want to hire that is better and will take the job?
Look - even dating back to who was going to replace Lute Olsen, I have never had any preconceived notions to who would or should be the next Iowa head man. I can't say I had ever heard of, or followed George Raveling, Tom Davis, Todd Lickliter or Fran McCaffery. And the one I had heard of, Steve Alford, well look how that turned out.

There is always a coach out there ready to move up who has proved his worth at other levels (look at Ohio State's current head coach - who had to replace a really good coach in Thad Matta).

But you reach a point where you have to press the reset button. The one thing I am REALLY sensing from the Iowa fan base right now is apathy - and that is the worst death knell for any program - or any coach.

Again, he's had enough years to do ... something. And I guarantee you there is someone who is chomping at the bit to have the opportunity to coach guys like Toussaint, Perkins, Ulis, Murray x2, Nunge, a healthy C.J. and more, plus the guys coming in. We'll be fine - and very likely, we'll be better for an entire season.

Defense, rebounding and free throws. We've seen it all before. When I mention defense, in particular, it's Iowa's ability to close out on the 3 pt shots. Teams regularly kill Iowa and seem to have their best 3 pt shooting games against Iowa with some obscure player having the game of his life against Iowa, EVERY GAME. This has been going on all the years Fran has coached at Iowa.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Iowa just played a lick of defense better and moved up in the top 60 in defense nationally, they'd be a great team. Hell, even top 80.

Then rebounding. I've never seen so many teams get so many offensive rebounds than when playing Iowa. Every single time down the court teams get 2-3 shot attempts. That's worth 15-20pts right there in a scoring differential. If a team shoots a shitty 30% but gets 20 more shots they are going to make up that percentage in the score. You can see at times some games where Iowa comes out and really giving a rebounding effort like they addressed it in practice, but, then they just slide back to old back habits similar to a youth 4th grade team. REBOUNDING IS A FUNDAMENTAL PART OF THE GAME!! It should be automatic to the players at this point. You know how many times if an Iowa player would have just backed out the opposing player they would have gotten the ball. Now they just hold their position and hope the ball comes to their area to rebound. NOBODY BACKS A PLAYER OUT ANYMORE! GET AN ASS ON A GUY, BACK HIM THE F UP AND GO ATTACK THE DAMN BALL AND GET IT! It's not that damn difficult. STOP GIVING UP POSSESSIONS AND GIVING THEM TO THE OTHER TEAM!

All you have to do in team basketball is play decent defense and rebound. You will be in every game, regardless if your team is not having the best shooting night. Give yourself a chance. It's just simple fundamental basketball and Iowa has lacked that over the years.

You do the above and it would make up for Iowa's recent crappy free throw shooting. That's all I'll say about that.

Rant over. Drop mic!

C'MON FRAN!!

Last edited:
You were blinded by hype if none of the B1G teams scared you. We have one of the best teams we have ever had including the best player that we have ever had and you want Fran gone?

The losing starts when we start playing teams that are damn good teams with very athletic guards. We should just enjoy the ride and hope our shooters catch fire in the tournament. I for one never thought this was a top 10 team but they are really good for Iowa. My only issue with Fran would be the fact that Connor has a scholarship and plays as much as he does but other than that he’s done pretty damn good this year.

Here's how you beat Iowa and teams have figured this out. Play Garza relatively straight up because he's going to get his points. They are mostly 2's so you have to give up something. You put your most athletic and best defending player on Weiskamp to limit and neutralize him. He's the key to stop to beat Iowa. Chase him and get into his space, not letting him go off.

Look - even dating back to who was going to replace Lute Olsen, I have never had any preconceived notions to who would or should be the next Iowa head man. I can't say I had ever heard of, or followed George Raveling, Tom Davis, Todd Lickliter or Fran McCaffery. And the one I had heard of, Steve Alford, well look how that turned out.

There is always a coach out there ready to move up who has proved his worth at other levels (look at Ohio State's current head coach - who had to replace a really good coach in Thad Matta).

But you reach a point where you have to press the reset button. The one thing I am REALLY sensing from the Iowa fan base right now is apathy - and that is the worst death knell for any program - or any coach.

Again, he's had enough years to do ... something. And I guarantee you there is someone who is chomping at the bit to have the opportunity to coach guys like Toussaint, Perkins, Ulis, Murray x2, Nunge, a healthy C.J. and more, plus the guys coming in. We'll be fine - and very likely, we'll be better for an entire season.
I have to disagree with your assessment with the Iowa fan base having apathy now. This is the most buzzed the fan base has been about an Iowa team for years. Are they frustrated, prob yes. But frustration is no where equal to apathy. Apathy is year 3 of the Todd Lickliter campaign.

The problem is that by the time of the middle of the conference season someone figured out or Achilles heel and all the other teams need to do is copy that, and we make no adjustments for the rest of the season, we just keep playing with the same old plan.... by the end of the season, beating us is just about child's play for even a moderately talented opponent...

Defense, rebounding and free throws. We've seen it all before. When I mention defense, in particular, it's Iowa's ability to close out on the 3 pt shots. Teams regularly kill Iowa and seem to have their best 3 pt shooting games against Iowa with some obscure player having the game of his life against Iowa, EVERY GAME. This has been going on all the years Fran has coached at Iowa.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Iowa just played a lick of defense better and moved up in the top 60 in defense nationally, they'd be a great team. Hell, even top 80.

Then rebounding. I've never seen so many teams get so many offensive rebounds than when playing Iowa. Every single time down the court teams get 2-3 shot attempts. That's worth 15-20pts right there in a scoring differential. If a team shoots a shitty 30% but gets 20 more shots they are going to make up that percentage in the score. You can see at times some games where Iowa comes out and really giving a rebounding effort like they addressed it in practice, but, then they just slide back to old back habits similar to a youth 4th grade team. REBOUNDING IS A FUNDAMENTAL PART OF THE GAME!! It should be automatic to the players at this point. You know how many times if an Iowa player would have just backed out the opposing player they would have gotten the ball. Now they just hold their position and hope the ball comes to their area to rebound. NOBODY BACKS A PLAYER OUT ANYMORE! GET AN ASS ON A GUY, BACK HIM UP AND GO ATTACK THE FUCKING BALL AND GET IT! It's not that damn difficult. STOP GIVING UP POSSESSIONS AND GIVING THEM TO THE OTHER TEAM!

All you have to do in team basketball is play decent defense and rebound. You will be in every game, regardless if your team is not having the best shooting change. Give yourself a chance. It's just simple fundamental basketball and Iowa has lacked that over the years.

You do the above and it would make up for Iowa's recent crappy free throw shooting. That's all I'll say about that.

Rant over. Drop mic!

C'MON FRAN!!
RIGHT ON. But since you didn't address your third point (free-throw shooting), I will. At some point, you see the teams and coaches that emphasize it and know what to do to get the team shooting them well.

We have a guard-oriented team at this time. That alone, plus a star who showed 2 seasons ago that he can be a good free-throw shooter should be enough to show that we should be making most of our free throws most of the time.

But we don't. The coach's son (and I have hardly EVER seen coach's boys miss free throws, anywhere, anytime) barely skims the front of the iron with his. You just assume you will never get both made when Joe Wieskamp is on the line - the same anymore with Luka Garza. C.J. Fredrick, considering how good he is from the field, is a crap-shoot at best - and his misses in the game in Minneapolis helped lead to a very unnecessary loss. You just wince when Toussaint - and especially Tony Perkins - is at the free throw line.

What's going on here?? This is simply a lack of fundamentals. Yes, friends, I would love to enjoy the ride this season - and with this team, I should be. But for those of you who are spitting at my posts, tell me - who have we beaten this year that shows we really are a top team?? Who have we beaten???????

The problem is that by the time of the middle of the conference season someone figured out or Achilles heel and all the other teams need to do is copy that, and we make no adjustments for the rest of the season, we just keep playing with the same old plan.... by the end of the season, beating us is just about child's play for even a moderately talented opponent...
I totally agree with that. But it has to be more than that. Again, you see us playing with "an edge" early in the season. It is what frustrated me when we played Gonzaga - that edge was missing. You see it by how hard guys work on defense, how much they go for loose balls (the Gonzaga game was one of THE worst I've seen when it came to that). But by mid-February, every single year, that edge, by and large, is gone. And even though you would see a slide each year in the Steve Alford era in mid- to late-February, most of his teams would catch a 2nd wind in March.

There is nothing close to that in the Iowa McCaffery teams. I suppose the B1G conference tournament will be cancelled this year, but that is where we have shown how bad it has gotten. And an inability to make adjustments or do what he needs to do so that the team is at its best in March - that is on the coach - 100%.

Always disappointed after an Iowa loss but have to admit that the Buckeyes are good. It was frustrating that a lot of OSU threes that were missed were clanking off the rim back into their hands. To me, Garza looked tired and our half court play on offense was searching. You have to be excited by the play of Keegan and Pmac. As always, make our free throws and its a different outcome....

Always disappointed after an Iowa loss but have to admit that the Buckeyes are good. It was frustrating that a lot of OSU threes that were missed were clanking off the rim back into their hands. To me, Garza looked tired and our half court play on offense was searching. You have to be excited by the play of Keegan and Pmac. As always, make our free throws and its a different outcome....
I'm sorry to disagree with you on one front, but the Keegan Murray who is suddenly starting is neither the Keegan Murray I had been seeing, nor someone I'm particularly excited to see. What in the hell were all those missed lay-ups about last night?? And if he doesn't try the monster dunk rebound slam in the 1st half, he has the easiest set-back of the game.

The Keegan coming off the bench was a rebounding monster - he would outwork everybody to get the ball - and he did again the other night when C.J. was back for one game. The starting Keegan does what you would hope he would do - but not one thing more. Last night, he was indeed being outworked for a number of rebounds.

As for his shots, I hardly ever saw him take a poor shot coming off the bench. Last night, I saw a few of them - and that is beyond those missed easy lay-ups.

Yes, he has an amazing future. But if we need to put him back on the bench at the start of the game so we can get the enhanced version of him, so be it. The guy from last night I didn't think was particularly special.

I agree 100%. Bring DeVries in from Drake. Time for Fran to go. He is more interested in playing Connor than winning games.....Exhibit A: Toussaint and Perkins not playing against Ohio State. Insanity.

So hire a mystery guy to coach Fran’s talent for a couple years and then start over and spend 10 to 20 years getting back to this point? The past guys? Alford. No thanks! Lickliter. Hard no. Many wanted Jacobsen not that long ago. How’s he done recently?

And how much of the current roster leaves? It’s an open transfer year. This deep and talented roster could disappear. Many are here to play for Fran and his assistant coaches.

I'm sorry to disagree with you on one front, but the Keegan Murray who is suddenly starting is neither the Keegan Murray I had been seeing, nor someone I'm particularly excited to see. What in the hell were all those missed lay-ups about last night?? And if he doesn't try the monster dunk rebound slam in the 1st half, he has the easiest set-back of the game.

The Keegan coming off the bench was a rebounding monster - he would outwork everybody to get the ball - and he did again the other night when C.J. was back for one game. The starting Keegan does what you would hope he would do - but not one thing more. Last night, he was indeed being outworked for a number of rebounds.

As for his shots, I hardly ever saw him take a poor shot coming off the bench. Last night, I saw a few of them - and that is beyond those missed easy lay-ups.

Yes, he has an amazing future. But if we need to put him back on the bench at the start of the game so we can get the enhanced version of him, so be it. The guy from last night I didn't think was particularly special.
Thanks to all of you posting back. This is the most back-and-forth I've seen on Iowa basketball in a while. And your comments pretty much have gotten me to comment on all the things that were stuck in my craw. I don't ever want you to mistake my comments as not being grateful for having this forum - or the people on it. Thanks again!

I agree 100%. Bring DeVries in from Drake. Time for Fran to go. He is more interested in playing Connor than winning games.....Exhibit A: Toussaint and Perkins not playing against Ohio State. Insanity.
Drake coach looks good. Alford and Lickliter also looked good...in the right light? MVC is not Big 10.

Garza is a pleasure to watch...an absolute joy. And he’s a class act...never has said or done anything to make Iowa look bad. I’m going to enjoy every minute this year with what is likely the only National POY we’ll ever see at Iowa.

Side Note - While Garza is spectacular I love the talent on this roster. Fran’s best “teams” may be coming in the next 3 plus years. The cupboards are fully stocked right now IMO.

So hire a mystery guy to coach Fran’s talent for a couple years and then start over and spend 10 to 20 years getting back to this point? The past guys? Alford. No thanks! Lickliter. Hard no. Many wanted Jacobsen not that long ago. How’s he done recently?

And how much of the current roster leaves? It’s an open transfer year. This deep and talented roster could disappear. Many are here to play for Fran and his assistant coaches.
Terrific - I can agree with that. And I have a solution for the problem. How about our current coach showing he really is a great coach and can get these guys back to playing at a high level that returns to being nasty on defense, utililizing sets that bring our star back to dominance, getting all the key rebounds and hardly ever missing a free throw?? That team could and would make a deep run in the NCAA tournament.

Just in case the message is not getting through - no, I don't want to see this coach replaced. But I'm going to support and even push for a change if this team does, in these final weeks, what just about every other recent Fran-Iowa team has done - which is typically far less than they should be doing. But I'd much rather see us return to playing good Iowa basketball. But now that it's into February, I'm not holding my breath - I've seen this dog-and-pony show before.

Then rebounding. I've never seen so many teams get so many offensive rebounds than when playing Iowa. Every single time down the court teams get 2-3 shot attempts. That's worth 15-20pts right there in a scoring differential. If a team shoots a shitty 30% but gets 20 more shots they are going to make up that percentage in the score. You can see at times some games where Iowa comes out and really giving a rebounding effort like they addressed it in practice, but, then they just slide back to old back habits similar to a youth 4th grade team. REBOUNDING IS A FUNDAMENTAL PART OF THE GAME!! It should be automatic to the players at this point. You know how many times if an Iowa player would have just backed out the opposing player they would have gotten the ball. Now they just hold their position and hope the ball comes to their area to rebound. NOBODY BACKS A PLAYER OUT ANYMORE! GET AN ASS ON A GUY, BACK HIM THE F UP AND GO ATTACK THE DAMN BALL AND GET IT! It's not that damn difficult. STOP GIVING UP POSSESSIONS AND GIVING THEM TO THE OTHER TEAM!

All you have to do in team basketball is play decent defense and rebound. You will be in every game, regardless if your team is not having the best shooting night. Give yourself a chance. It's just simple fundamental basketball and Iowa has lacked that over the years.

Rant over. Drop mic!

C'MON FRAN!!
I think there are a couple of reasons why we are giving up a lot of offensive rebounds to teams. 1. We are usually in a zone and missed shots mainly from the outside tend to bounce long. So boxing out is less of a factor. Now it boils down to where did that rebound go and are we quick enough to go get it. 2. Who's on the floor when we are not grabbing boards? Murray, Nunge, and Patrick have length and we hold our own mostly when they are in the line up. If we are Jbo, CMac, and CJ when healthy we lose a lot of length out there. I'll also throw in position. This team is out of position a lot. Against teams who shot fake a bunch we leave our feet on a fly by. One guy out of position cause others to try and help which leaves somebody open to rebound.

Fran isn't getting fired for performance. He might get it for an outburst or something, but what he's doing at Iowa as far as progress on the basketball court, is more likely to get him a raise and extended than fired. That's obviously a slap to some of your faces, but what Fran has done here hasn't been done with any regularity in 22 years... Iowa isn't firing that.

Latest posts