The Annual "Fran Fade" Has Started - AGAIN - This Needs to be the Last One

RIGHT ON. But since you didn't address your third point (free-throw shooting), I will. At some point, you see the teams and coaches that emphasize it and know what to do to get the team shooting them well.

We have a guard-oriented team at this time. That alone, plus a star who showed 2 seasons ago that he can be a good free-throw shooter should be enough to show that we should be making most of our free throws most of the time.

But we don't. The coach's son (and I have hardly EVER seen coach's boys miss free throws, anywhere, anytime) barely skims the front of the iron with his. You just assume you will never get both made when Joe Wieskamp is on the line - the same anymore with Luka Garza. C.J. Fredrick, considering how good he is from the field, is a crap-shoot at best - and his misses in the game in Minneapolis helped lead to a very unnecessary loss. You just wince when Toussaint - and especially Tony Perkins - is at the free throw line.

What's going on here?? This is simply a lack of fundamentals. Yes, friends, I would love to enjoy the ride this season - and with this team, I should be. But for those of you who are spitting at my posts, tell me - who have we beaten this year that shows we really are a top team?? Who have we beaten???????

I would agree that I don't think Fran is likely the answer into making Iowa a Championship team. If he does not get it done this year, I don't think he ever will. But, I don't want another Tom Davis like situation either with a puzzling firing.

I got to think Iowa will still make the tournament. Unless the wheels fall completely off. Hard to get rid of a guy who has team competitive and tourney bound.

But, I agree, he is not accomplished anything major thus far at Iowa that we will remember. He did rebuild Iowa to back around the Tom Davis level, but without the good things to show for it thus far.

I kind of wished he would have took another job by now.

Hopefully they get there shit together.

LOL You guys are hilarious. IA has a top 10 team and you still want him fired.
They are not a "top 10" team. But, wait you will say, you are crazy 56....they are in the top 10. Yes they are are....but they should not be. And, come the next poll, maybe the voters will finally punish us.

I don't think firing would be a good move. But, I would not shed a tear if he left back to the East Coast to coach.

LOL You guys are hilarious. IA has a top 10 team and you still want him fired.

Iowa is like the 5th best team in the Big Ten. Maybe 6th. Garza is amazing, Wieskamp is pretty legit and then the whole rest of the roster is basically a bunch of dudes who are good ball players but at a legit top 10 program they would be the 7th or 8th guy on the roster and provide really great minutes off the bench.

I agree 100%. Bring DeVries in from Drake. Time for Fran to go. He is more interested in playing Connor than winning games.....Exhibit A: Toussaint and Perkins not playing against Ohio State. Insanity.
Agree. Get the Drake coach before someone else does, and while we still have talent on the roster.

Garza is a pleasure to watch...an absolute joy. And he’s a class act...never has said or done anything to make Iowa look bad. I’m going to enjoy every minute this year with what is likely the only National POY we’ll ever see at Iowa.

Side Note - While Garza is spectacular I love the talent on this roster. Fran’s best “teams” may be coming in the next 3 plus years. The cupboards are fully stocked right now IMO.

A bad chef will ruin a stocked cupboard. Whats the point of having talent if you cant coach it?

He will not be fired. Not with our shitty AD. This is a good ol boy school. No one will be going anywhere. Sons will get to play and coach.

RIGHT ON. But since you didn't address your third point (free-throw shooting), I will. At some point, you see the teams and coaches that emphasize it and know what to do to get the team shooting them well.

We have a guard-oriented team at this time. That alone, plus a star who showed 2 seasons ago that he can be a good free-throw shooter should be enough to show that we should be making most of our free throws most of the time.

But we don't. The coach's son (and I have hardly EVER seen coach's boys miss free throws, anywhere, anytime) barely skims the front of the iron with his. You just assume you will never get both made when Joe Wieskamp is on the line - the same anymore with Luka Garza. C.J. Fredrick, considering how good he is from the field, is a crap-shoot at best - and his misses in the game in Minneapolis helped lead to a very unnecessary loss. You just wince when Toussaint - and especially Tony Perkins - is at the free throw line.

What's going on here?? This is simply a lack of fundamentals. Yes, friends, I would love to enjoy the ride this season - and with this team, I should be. But for those of you who are spitting at my posts, tell me - who have we beaten this year that shows we really are a top team?? Who have we beaten???????
It's head scratching to me how CM shoots the way he does. He's got a hitch to it when he first raises the ball above his head so his motion is always going to be inconsistent and just clunky. It's not one smooth motion which allows for muscle memory to take hold. The key is getting that feel for it where once you release it you just know it's in and you don't have to even look. You find that touch and just do it over and over and over.

Terrific - I can agree with that. And I have a solution for the problem. How about our current coach showing he really is a great coach and can get these guys back to playing at a high level that returns to being nasty on defense, utililizing sets that bring our star back to dominance, getting all the key rebounds and hardly ever missing a free throw?? That team could and would make a deep run in the NCAA tournament.

Just in case the message is not getting through - no, I don't want to see this coach replaced. But I'm going to support and even push for a change if this team does, in these final weeks, what just about every other recent Fran-Iowa team has done - which is typically far less than they should be doing. But I'd much rather see us return to playing good Iowa basketball. But now that it's into February, I'm not holding my breath - I've seen this dog-and-pony show before.
So we agree. Get some wins and life is good.

They are not a "top 10" team. But, wait you will say, you are crazy 56....they are in the top 10. Yes they are are....but they should not be. And, come the next poll, maybe the voters will finally punish us.

I don't think firing would be a good move. But, I would not shed a tear if he left back to the East Coast to coach.
I’m not looking to argue. If you prefer the AP poll that’s fine. They may not be in the AP Top 10. But if they beat Indiana I’m sure they will be...2-1 this week losing by 4 to a higher (AP) rated team.

My 1st choice is Kenpom...even in years where it rates us lower than I would like. My 2nd choice is NET...only because that’s the NCAA’s primary tool. We are 4th and 9th respectively in those polls. So Iowa is a Top 10 team according to the polls I reference.

I guess all of you guys are right...Let's all just give up the first week of February and start a "Fire Fran" campaign. After all, there is no hope in the world that we will beat Indiana, Rutgers, or MSU (our next three games), and Fredrick will never heal from his lower leg injury. If he does, he will probably just get injured again, so what's the use?

Our entire roster outside of Garza is complete garbage, and we should have no aspirations of doing better than a one and done in the tourney. Keegan, Jack, Joe T, Patrick, Uhlis, and Perkins should all try to transfer to Wartburg...if they would even get a look.

I am off to Walmart to get some razor blades. Wish me luck.

A bad chef will ruin a stocked cupboard. Whats the point of having talent if you cant coach it?

He will not be fired. Not with our shitty AD. This is a good ol boy school. No one will be going anywhere. Sons will get to play and coach.
The point to having talent is 20 win seasons and NCAA bids and numerous 1st Team All Big 10 players over the years. Not having talent...It seems some people are already forgetting Lickliter teams.

If they beat Indiana on Sunday, they will almost assuredly remain in the top 10. I got no problem with people being upset, I am too, but come on. Get it together. Don't go so far off the deep end. Fran's job is no where in trouble nor should it be. I think Fran is like the 10th or 11th highest paid coach in the league. He's in line for a giant raise or we won't be able to keep him. You guys literally have no clue what you're talking about, Fran holds all the cards when it comes to his deal at Iowa. We're getting him dirt cheap.

I guess all of you guys are right...Let's all just give up the first week of February and start a "Fire Fran" campaign. After all, there is no hope in the world that we will beat Indiana, Rutgers, or MSU (our next three games), and Fredrick will never heal from his lower leg injury. If he does, he will probably just get injured again, so what's the use?

Our entire roster outside of Garza is complete garbage, and we should have no aspirations of doing better than a one and done in the tourney. Keegan, Jack, Joe T, Patrick, Uhlis, and Perkins should all try to transfer to Wartburg...if they would even get a look.

I am off to Walmart to get some razor blades. Wish me luck.
So many people forget how good CJ is. He has a high basketball IQ, rarely turns it over, shoots 50% from 3 and was on the All Conference Freshman team last year. Maybe if I list that team people will have some perspective.

ALL-FRESHMAN TEAM
KOFI COCKBURN, ILLINOIS
TRAYCE JACKSON-DAVIS, INDIANA
CJ Fredrick, Iowa
Franz Wagner, Michigan
Rocket Watts, Michigan State

So many people forget how good CJ is. He has a high basketball IQ, rarely turns it over, shoots 50% from 3 and was on the All Conference Freshman team last year. Maybe if I list that team people will have some perspective.

ALL-FRESHMAN TEAM
KOFI COCKBURN, ILLINOIS
TRAYCE JACKSON-DAVIS, INDIANA
CJ Fredrick, Iowa
Franz Wagner, Michigan
Rocket Watts, Michigan State

I am a big CJ fan, but I don't think all of Iowa's warts go away even if he is healthy. The Minnesota loss is a perfect example of that. CJ was great that game and the same ole bugaboos still bit Iowa in the ass.

I am a big CJ fan, but I don't think all of Iowa's warts go away even if he is healthy. The Minnesota loss is a perfect example of that. CJ was great that game and the same ole bugaboos still bit Iowa in the ass.
I’m not suggesting CJ can prevent every loss or that he doesn’t ever have a bad game. I’m saying I very much believe we would have won at least 1 of these 3 losses with him on the floor.

Edit - He’s taller and quicker than JBo. He can get a shot off easier and make it harder for the opponent to get off a 3.

I’m not suggesting CJ can prevent every loss or that he doesn’t ever have a bad game. I’m saying I very much believe we would have won at least 1 of these 3 losses with him on the floor.

Edit - He’s taller and quicker than JBo. He can get a shot off easier and make it harder for the opponent to get off a 3.

And I 100% agree with that. I would take it a step further and say they beat OSU and Illinois if he were healthy. I just push back against people who think he is somehow the savior. Even if he is healthy they are still super vulnerable come tournament time.

Wow, some of y'all make me look like a beacon of positivity!

Ohio State is #7 in the country and we barely lost. Yes, there were a number of things that made me want to pull out my hair - the poor free throw shooting, not tracking down rebounds, leaving guys wide open for 3, etc. but despite all of that they only lost by 4.

The Michigan State game was closer than I would have liked but Izzo has always had Fran's number. We didn't play great and still won.

The loss at Minnesota was frustrating but it took some no name guy on Minnesota going 8/9 from deep when he'd never made more than three in a game to beat us. Yes, some of it was bad defense, but even the best shooters aren't going 8/9 from three outside of the game of their lives. That dude and Carr made every shot they took in the last minute of regulation and all of overtime. We beat them easily when they came to Carver and didn't shoot out of their fucking minds.

The Indiana game was really the only game that I have no explanation for. They are not a good team and they dominated us.

I'm still hopeful we will turn things around and be more dominant like we were earlier in the season. The talent is there. I would like to see Fran's lineups make more sense based on who the other team has on the floor. Connor should NOT play as much as he does. I don't care that he's good at entry passes to Garza. He can't shoot, he's slow, and he's a liability on defense. Bohannon is a liability on defense but he's also a weapon on offense. I would like to see Fran have a quicker hook with Bohannon in the games where he's not shooting well. Also, for the love of God please play Joe T and Perkins more when we're going up against teams with clearly superior athleticism.

If they beat Indiana on Sunday, they will almost assuredly remain in the top 10. I got no problem with people being upset, I am too, but come on. Get it together. Don't go so far off the deep end. Fran's job is no where in trouble nor should it be. I think Fran is like the 10th or 11th highest paid coach in the league. He's in line for a giant raise or we won't be able to keep him. You guys literally have no clue what you're talking about, Fran holds all the cards when it comes to his deal at Iowa. We're getting him dirt cheap.

Exactly. You get what you pay for.

I totally disagree with the idea of a coaching change. But all I want to ask is who you want to hire that is better and will take the job?
So basically you are saying you never want to potentially get better? 11 years at Iowa has produced, what the creator of this thread has communicated that many in the fanbase agree with, a team that consistently does certain things really good and certain things poorly. Fran's teams score points period, they are vastly superior to any offense Lickliter EVER put on the floor. So, fine every now and again we beat someone ranked higher than us in Big Ten play. Additionally, sometimes we finish in the top half of the conference.

What we MUST admit:
Truth in the thread creator's facts: Terrible Big Ten tournament performances
Fact: NEVER gets to the tournament and makes it beyond the second round
Fact: The sub par effort to chase perimeter shooters off the line has led to losses and does every year not occasionally but often.
Fact: Defense is an attitude several upperclassmen apparently don't possess the right attitude. Some players can't stay in front of their man....ever
Fact: Fran's absolute blinders on approach gave us CMac playing PG at the end of a game that needed a driving PG...yes maddening player personnel changes. Sometimes the changes or lack thereof leave you screaming.

Pulling the plug on Fran after 12 years is hardly being RASH in a desire to see the program progress. Kudos to Fran bringing it up off the absolute bottom (Lick hire another Barta hire).

Wow, some of y'all make me look like a beacon of positivity!

Ohio State is #7 in the country and we barely lost. Yes, there were a number of things that made me want to pull out my hair - the poor free throw shooting, not tracking down rebounds, leaving guys wide open for 3, etc. but despite all of that they only lost by 4.

The Michigan State game was closer than I would have liked but Izzo has always had Fran's number. We didn't play great and still won.

The loss at Minnesota was frustrating but it took some no name guy on Minnesota going 8/9 from deep when he'd never made more than three in a game to beat us. Yes, some of it was bad defense, but even the best shooters aren't going 8/9 from three outside of the game of their lives. That dude and Carr made every shot they took in the last minute of regulation and all of overtime. We beat them easily when they came to Carver and didn't shoot out of their fucking minds.

The Indiana game was really the only game that I have no explanation for. They are not a good team and they dominated us.

I'm still hopeful we will turn things around and be more dominant like we were earlier in the season. The talent is there. I would like to see Fran's lineups make more sense based on who the other team has on the floor. Connor should NOT play as much as he does. I don't care that he's good at entry passes to Garza. He can't shoot, he's slow, and he's a liability on defense. Bohannon is a liability on defense but he's also a weapon on offense. I would like to see Fran have a quicker hook with Bohannon in the games where he's not shooting well. Also, for the love of God please play Joe T and Perkins more when we're going up against teams with clearly superior athleticism.
See all these what-ifs lead to the same dead end NO SHOT at a conference championship EVER. IF we are fine with that then so be it.

Latest posts