The Alford Stuff

Every thread being about Alford, 6 years after he left, is kind of embarrassing.

When guys like Crotch Itch and Davis won't let it go why should we...Alford began the Downward Spiral that landed in a flaming bag of crap once TL had been fired.

Dakich is getting it big time from Hokk fans on the Twitter-verse, and he finally has had enough:

Dan Dakich ‏@dandakich 13m
Iowa twitter people..judge /argue amongst yourselves for a while I've got a radio show to do..let he who is without sin cast the 1st stone.

Iowa wants to be a premier top tier basketball program and it struggles to get to the middle of the conference each year. We were pretty hard on Alford in allot of ways. He couldn't recruit and bring talent to Iowa City. He only had one losing season if you look at over all non-conference but he sucked in conference with only 3 out of 8 seasons where he won more then he lost. It seems to me our expectations have gone down for what we expect out of Iowa basketball because I'm not seeing much out of Fran that would convince me to keep him around much longer. It doesn't matter at this point what Alford "thinks" or tells his buddies and then they spew it back out via Dakich or whoever, his current record speaks for itself and were left back in the frozen tundra twiddling our thumbs and mad because we didn't get an NCAA bid !
So .. .. what you're saying is that Alford is a pretty good coach and Iowa made a mistake letting him go?

Pass me what ever it is you're drinking!! I'd love to have some!!

I thought the Alford hire at Iowa was going to be a good one. He won at all of his previous stops and, to be honest, had a winning record at Iowa. The problem is that the B1G is a POWER basketball conference. Unless you're at one of the power schools (Indiana/Michigan) you need to be better than a good coach to succeed.

Some coaches can do a good job when you look at them from a high level. But when you get down to the nitty gritty and look at their accomplishments through a microscope (or in hindsight) you realize that they aren't as good as you thought.

Both Alford and Lickliter are those coaches. Alford is a terrible game coach as evidenced by the fact that he has seldom (if ever) gotten out of the 2nd round. (By second round I mean the round of 32.) As it turns out, Stevens may have been the reason for Lick's success at Butler, as evidenced by the fact that Butler has sailed right along since Lick left.

Is Alford a decent coach? Yes - at a small time school in a mid-major conference. Is he a decent recruiter? Probably. But right now, he's coaching at New Mexico of that basketball powerhouse conference the Mountain West. He's a mid-major coach at a mid-major school in a mid-major conference. IMHO, his record since leaving Iowa is tainted by these facts and suspect at best.

As for our expectations .. yes .. they have gone down some. But can you really blame us, the fans? The cupboard was bare when Lick took over and was even worse when Fran got here. Iowa made the post season in 6 of the previous 11 years and only three of those were the NCAAs. The thirteen years prior to that? 11 post seasons with 9 being NCAA tournaments.

So forgive us for being down on Alford. He alienated fans, administration, and (perhaps more importantly) big dollar donors. And while you're at it, forgive us for lowering our expectations. But they are now back where they should be. Iowa SHOULD be playing in the post season from this point forward with Fran.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

Dakich is getting it big time from Hokk fans on the Twitter-verse, and he finally has had enough:

Iowa twitter people..judge /argue amongst yourselves for a while I've got a radio show to do..let he who is without sin cast the 1st stone.

He certainly had a rough day. He was on ESPN talking earlier in the week talking about how Marcus Smart from Okie St. was better than Michigan and they could ride him a long ways in the tourney. Wouldn't shut up about him.

Let me explain something to you people. I swim in a sea of self-satisfied egomaniacs, and none of them, NONE OF THEM hold a candle to Alfraud. Alfraud is just about the prototype for a hypocritical, sanctimonious, back-stabbing egomaniacal blameshifting SOB.

When you're an elevated person in this society, you can choose one of two paths. You can choose the path of appreciation and humility, or you can choose the path of overbearing arrogance. You cannot walk both paths, you must choose one or the other. You can attempt to fake your nature, but you will eventually fail, and your true nature shall always be revealed.

Guess which path Stevie chose.

Alford throwing his players under the bus? Nah.

ABQJournal Sports » Crimson and over

“We can’t shoot for them,†Alford said. “It’s all part of the game. … That’s an obviously glaring weakness on this basketball team, and we’ve got to do a lot of work in the offseason with our shooting.â€

This quote by Alford is all you need to make an accurate assessment of the character of the man.

I find hypocrisy funny. It's OK for DD to pass judgement about the state and/or University of Iowa and its basketball program ("...It was an Iowa problem..."), but when folks begin to judge the quality of his work/perspective/etc...suddenly it's undeserved stone casting.

Rich.

If you want to hear a media personality on the opposite side of the Alford spectrum, follow @dan_bernstein on twitter. He is a Chicago radio personality and a columnist for CBS Chicago, he absolutely rips on Alford both on the air, twitter, and any other chance he gets. He had some awesome tweets last night.

yes,over the years Bernstein has repeatedly said that he wants SA to die a painful,horrible death,and he will have a party when it happens. He wants SA to be killed,leaving his family behind without a father.
That Bernstein, he is a helluva guy....no wait, he is a shock-jock jerk. I am sure that SA is no angel but he does not make a living wishing death on people that have not broken laws. Bernstein makes SA look like an angel.

The fan base was pushing Davis out the door, I remember it well. People were expecting Iowa to compete for NC and Final Four appearances and "all" Davis did was get Iowa to the second round (at minimum) of the NCAA tournament. A lot of fans thought Davis should be getting better recruits to come to Iowa, it really got bad when LaFrenz decided to go to Kansas. Coming off a Sweet 16 appearance Davis had Nick Collison in the bag until Bowlsby announced Davis's contract would not be renewed, we can only guess how good Iowa could have been.

But even I jumped on the Alford band wagon when he was named the coach at Iowa, he was the young, up and coming, coach with an Indiana pedigree. It appeared Iowa was heading to greener pastures and then we all know what happened next.

Davis's last team was in the sweet sixteen. I think the timeline here is not accurate. Bowlsby gave him the axe before the sweet sixteen run.

Let me explain something to you people. I swim in a sea of self-satisfied egomaniacs, and none of them, NONE OF THEM hold a candle to Alfraud. Alfraud is just about the prototype for a hypocritical, sanctimonious, back-stabbing egomaniacal blameshifting SOB.

When you're an elevated person in this society, you can choose one of two paths. You can choose the path of appreciation and humility, or you can choose the path of overbearing arrogance. You cannot walk both paths, you must choose one or the other. You can attempt to fake your nature, but you will eventually fail, and your true nature shall always be revealed.

Guess which path Stevie chose.

A very wise man used to say to me...

"Only two things can ever be true about a man who proclaims his own worth: 1) He's wrong and is considered a joke or 2) He's right and is considered self-centered. Every man should know his worth, but it should only be proven, never declared."

Dakich isn't bad at breaking down basketball, you can tell he knows the game but he's really annoying.

The fan base was pushing Davis out the door, I remember it well. People were expecting Iowa to compete for NC and Final Four appearances and "all" Davis did was get Iowa to the second round (at minimum) of the NCAA tournament. A lot of fans thought Davis should be getting better recruits to come to Iowa, it really got bad when LaFrenz decided to go to Kansas. Coming off a Sweet 16 appearance Davis had Nick Collison in the bag until Bowlsby announced Davis's contract would not be renewed, we can only guess how good Iowa could have been.

But even I jumped on the Alford band wagon when he was named the coach at Iowa, he was the young, up and coming, coach with an Indiana pedigree. It appeared Iowa was heading to greener pastures and then we all know what happened next.

You don't remember it that well.

It was announced that Davis' contract wouldn't be renewed WELL prior to the Sweet 16 season. I believe it was not long after the previous season wrapped.

Alford throwing his players under the bus? Nah.

ABQJournal Sports » Crimson and over

“We can’t shoot for them,†Alford said. “It’s all part of the game. … That’s an obviously glaring weakness on this basketball team, and we’ve got to do a lot of work in the offseason with our shooting.â€

Like I said earlier in this thread it has been interesting watching the same things unfold.

I have a close friend down in NM. He bleeds Cherry and something he says gray, silver?

He sent me the best text I have ever received last night. "You are like Nostradamus" I responded tomorrow he will blame the players. I am waiting for a response.

Just a matter of time to have some type of shocking news come out of new Mexico.

Latest posts