The Alford Stuff

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Whew. That blew up here and everywhere Hawkeye related. I've mostly moved on from it all. The only times it flares up is when I see things like this from people outside the Iowa program;

"yo Iowa fans relax. It was an Iowa problem. Alford always makes the tourney"

That came from Dan Dakich, who I am certain has had ample convo's with Steve on the Iowa days from Alford's perspective.

Did Iowa let their facilities fall behind? Yes. Was it at the expense of the football program who was getting the funds at the time? Yes.

But was Big Ten hoops also at a 30 year low point during most of the Alford era? Heck yes it was.

Also, Iowa didn't turn a corner until Alford hired Craig Neal who began to do a lot of the in game grease boarding. It also helped to be at Iowa at the time where three of the top 20 players in program history happened to graduate in the same HS class.

I think Iowa paidw Alford a lot of money to learn on the job. Things were looking up towards the end but Alford wanted to go somewhere where basketball was a bigger priority. I get that.

But some out there who only have Alford's view of it tick me off from time to time.

Anyone who fires up a PR campaign 5 years after leaving a job, and whose surrogates then complain that we can't let it go deserves everything that's coming to him.

This winter just confirmed everything we hated about him was accurate. Last night was a good night.

Whew. That blew up here and everywhere Hawkeye related. I've mostly moved on from it all. The only times it flares up is when I see things like this from people outside the Iowa program;

"yo Iowa fans relax. It was an Iowa problem. Alford always makes the tourney"

That came from Dan Dakich, who I am certain has had ample convo's with Steve on the Iowa days from Alford's perspective.

Did Iowa let their facilities fall behind? Yes. Was it at the expense of the football program who was getting the funds at the time? Yes.

But was Big Ten hoops also at a 30 year low point during most of the Alford era? Heck yes it was.

Also, Iowa didn't turn a corner until Alford hired Craig Neal who began to do a lot of the in game grease boarding. It also helped to be at Iowa at the time where three of the top 20 players in program history happened to graduate in the same HS class.

I think Iowa paidw Alford a lot of money to learn on the job. Things were looking up towards the end but Alford wanted to go somewhere where basketball was a bigger priority. I get that.

But some out there who only have Alford's view of it tick me off from time to time.
Look, JD, if your fan base pushes out a good dude like Davis you're due to get bit by karma.

I saw a stat that a 3 seed has lost to a 14 seed only 4 times in 10 years. Pretty funny that he had half.

Alford killed Iowa basketball for me. Barta buried it.

I am very happy that Iowa is back on the right track though, but I definitely love watching him fall on his face.

I like Dakich as a basketball color commentator. Not as a mouthpiece for Alford's side of the Iowa years. Throw Seth Davis in there, too.

If you want to hear a media personality on the opposite side of the Alford spectrum, follow @dan_bernstein on twitter. He is a Chicago radio personality and a columnist for CBS Chicago, he absolutely rips on Alford both on the air, twitter, and any other chance he gets. He had some awesome tweets last night.

It's not shocking that Alford would talk out the side of his neck. He did it at Iowa. It's funny because I have seen the same thing's from Alford that we saw in Iowa City. It's only a matter of time before you see some "shocking" news come out of New Mexico.

Someone should pick up Craig Neal, because he is the one that got the lobos where they are.

I wonder what % of Alford's check goes into Neal's account to keep him happy and not looking.

Look, JD, if your fan base pushes out a good dude like Davis you're due to get bit by karma.
IIRC it was Bowlsby who pushed Davis to the curb, not the fans. He (BB) wanted to get someone else in. I seem to remember the fans were upset that Davis wasn't retained.

I see Fran's tenure running very similar to Mr. Davis's. There will be some very good years, but also a lean year or two. Would I like to see the Hawks get to the point of not "if" we make the tournament but what our seed is going to be? ABSOLUTELY!! But Iowa is not, and probably never will be, the choice destination of the 5-stars. I'll be happy if Fran gets the program to the point of 8 out of 10 years the team makes it to the dance.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

Typical professional. Gets that contract extension and quickly falls flat on his face shortly after. As a Hawkeye fan, I moved on a long time ago and wish him the best of luck. As a basketball fan I hate to say it but the guy will be famous for multiple losses to a 14 seed and I can't help but laugh (since I've moved on).

BrueCrew3;1102353[COLOR=#ff0000 said:
]IIRC it was Bowlsby who pushed Davis to the curb, not the fansHe (BB) wanted to get someone else in. I seem to remember the fans were upset that Davis wasn't retained.

I see Fran's tenure running very similar to Mr. Davis's. There will be some very good years, but also a lean year or two. Would I like to see the Hawks get to the point of not "if" we make the tournament but what our seed is going to be? ABSOLUTELY!! But Iowa is not, and probably never will be, the choice destination of the 5-stars. I'll be happy if Fran gets the program to the point of 8 out of 10 years the team makes it to the dance.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

You recall poorly. I wish that was true.

I took some personal joy from the New Mexico upset last night, but honestly I don't place all Iowa's woes over the last decade on Alford alone. Yeah he didn't do himself any favors with our fanbase but I think some have gone a little overboard with their hatred. One thing I will say is that Iowans in general are some of the greatest people you will ever meet and will treat you well until you give them a reason not too. Apparently Steve gave many reasons because after reading some boards tonight it is pretty apparent how much disdain Hawk nation has for him.

IIRC it was Bowlsby who pushed Davis to the curb, not the fans. He (BB) wanted to get someone else in. I seem to remember the fans were upset that Davis wasn't retained.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

The donors wanted Davis gone.

Iowa fans and media were exposed to Alford for good length of time. I am being diplomatic by saying the man has some clear personal and professional shortcomings which we all ignored until we couldn't any longer. I don't believe he is fit to run a program for a long period of time and would bet that his tenure in NM ends badly.

Well at least he got us to the NCAA tourny, that is more than you can saw for the last 2 coaches so far.

There are certain traits that turn people off...almost universally.

Arrogance
Stubbornness
Self-righteousness
Hypocrisy
Narcissism

It's not rocket science why people have such disdain for Alford. He's managed to harness some of Bob Knight's worst traits, combine them with his own...and develop his own smarmy brand.

Last edited:

Latest posts