That's it, no big ten tournament

My question is this....Now that this Coronavirus exists, is it here to stay? Can it come back next winter? I have heard doctors say they have a cure for it, but it wouldn't get out there until next year.

The whole family of coronaviruses have been around for longer than you have probably. Viruses were only discovered about 90-100 years ago. This is a different strain of the virus.

SARS and MERS were/are coronaviruses and they killed and made people sick but maybe didnt transmit as easily but they put a scare into communities in just the last 15 years.

As to your question, yes usually these viruses stay around.

Just look at 1918 Spanish Flu, and there are a lot of very good books and articles explaining it as well as PBS and other documentaries. The Spanish Flu hit mildly in spring of 1918 and had probably circulated around the globe in 1917 but came back with a FURY in autumn of 1918.

Common cold viruses are made up of more families than just coronavirus and they mutate a lot so it is hard to get a vaccine to cover all the variants. Influenza viruses are in certain combinations that you may had heard of like H1N1 where there is the H and N components numbered by different strains. These flu viruses seem to be in smaller number of combinations and when it appears usually in Asia researchers can isolate it and create vaccines more quickly.

We would never want to have any of these viruses get like the Spanish Flu, etc, very deadly and transmissable.

My question is this....Now that this Coronavirus exists, is it here to stay? Can it come back next winter? I have heard doctors say they have a cure for it, but it wouldn't get out there until next year.

And as far as a vaccine or cure, yes they are working on one but at least in the US it will take months or a year of testing to make sure the vaccine doesnt kill or radically make people sick in numbers worse than catching the virus itself.

Immunologists and Immunology has many stories of a so called vaccine or cure hurting people during testing. One of these histories was in the news a week or two ago but I cant remember if it was SARS testing or some other virus.

I should add that the great book I read about the 1918 Spanish Flu and all the researchers and doctors/nurses who worked on it said the researchers would pass the serum of dead people through the smallest filters they had at the time. These filters would normally not let bacteria pass through them but whatever agent causes that flu it passed through the micro filters. So the researchers knew they had an extra small bacteria, highly unlikely, or they had a super small 'bug' which turned out to be viruses that some researchers had theorized that they existed.

So what if the F are we suppose to watch on tv this weekend?!?!?!

Not NBA, NHL, or college hoops that's for sure. No idea what to do with all that free time. Maybe random day trip somewhere or go to the mall?

Air fair is pretty cheap too I'm guessing.

The whole family of coronaviruses have been around for longer than you have probably. Viruses were only discovered about 90-100 years ago. This is a different strain of the virus.

SARS and MERS were/are coronaviruses and they killed and made people sick but maybe didnt transmit as easily but they put a scare into communities in just the last 15 years.

As to your question, yes usually these viruses stay around.

Just look at 1918 Spanish Flu, and there are a lot of very good books and articles explaining it as well as PBS and other documentaries. The Spanish Flu hit mildly in spring of 1918 and had probably circulated around the globe in 1917 but came back with a FURY in autumn of 1918.

Common cold viruses are made up of more families than just coronavirus and they mutate a lot so it is hard to get a vaccine to cover all the variants. Influenza viruses are in certain combinations that you may had heard of like H1N1 where there is the H and N components numbered by different strains. These flu viruses seem to be in smaller number of combinations and when it appears usually in Asia researchers can isolate it and create vaccines more quickly.

We would never want to have any of these viruses get like the Spanish Flu, etc, very deadly and transmissable.
Not sure if you're trying to make a distinction or not, but to clarify the Spanish Flu was an H1N1 flu virus and not a coronavirus.

The Spanish Flu H1N1 was/is arguably the most dangerous virus that has ever been discovered. There are still stashes available for research. There was a recent study (I believe the intent was to study the lung pathology with multiple types of pulmonary viruses) performed, and every rat that received the Spanish Flu variant was dead the next day.

Not sure if you're trying to make a distinction or not, but to clarify the Spanish Flu was an H1N1 flu virus and not a coronavirus.

The Spanish Flu H1N1 was/is arguably the most dangerous virus that has ever been discovered. There are still stashes available for research. There was a recent study (I believe the intent was to study the lung pathology with multiple types of pulmonary viruses) performed, and every rat that received the Spanish Flu variant was dead the next day.

I was not trying to make a distinction because I previously said the coronavirus was not a flu virus but more the common cold, but maybe I said that in the other thread where people were talking about this. Thanks for adding to the clarification.

yeah because people are idiots. I am hoping we get the word to work from home by this weekend and I won't leave me house until they tell me too. I get that not everyone will do that. Those people are gonna be at higher risk of getting it - and likely going to cause your friend with diabetes or your parents to die early. Great people!
Come on man. If I decide to go somewhere and get infected, that doesn't mean high risk people I know are going to want to be around people too. They can isolate themselves too.

Come on man. If I decide to go somewhere and get infected, that doesn't mean high risk people I know are going to want to be around people too. They can isolate themselves too.
Some people don’t even know they’re high risk or don’t think they are and they are. Got a cpap? Smoke? Over weight? You’re not healthy. I just hope we can delay and stop the spread as much as possible. That would be the best outcome imo. I’m fine with you not feeling the same way. I get some of your line of thinking, other parts I think are deeply flawed. Like having a Corona party.

I have strong opinions about COVID-19, but holy F has HN turned into a cesspool. It was haggard before, no doubt, but for the next six months with no sports it’s going to be nothing but 47 parallel threads of people fighting over coronavirus.

This is quite literally no different than conservative vs. liberal pukeworthiness.

Shut this shit down till September, Rob.

Some people don’t even know they’re high risk or don’t think they are and they are. Got a cpap? Smoke? Over weight? You’re not healthy. I just hope we can delay and stop the spread as much as possible. That would be the best outcome imo. I’m fine with you not feeling the same way. I get some of your line of thinking, other parts I think are deeply flawed. Like having a Corona party.
The Corona party was half joking. Although my wife said people were joking at work about the exact same thing. Even made the chicken pox reference like I did. I guess I'm not very original.

I have strong opinions about COVID-19, but holy F has HN turned into a cesspool. It was haggard before, no doubt, but for the next six months with no sports it’s going to be nothing but 47 parallel threads of people fighting over coronavirus.

This is quite literally no different than conservative vs. liberal pukeworthiness.

Shut this shit down till September, Rob.
Or you could just not log on. There is zero sports to talk about and this is the biggest story since 911.

Saw this linked on twitter, definitely worth a watch if you live in an area that has confirmed cases...

What is crazy is that every public event is being cancelled and all with respect to protecting the people from this virus, yet, the k-12 schools are operating normally. If there is ever an incubator for viruses and bacteria, it would be an elementary school!

Latest posts