That's it, no big ten tournament

At this point from what we know from what we are told, and that information is fairly vague, all of this is either a gross over reaction or there is a whole lot that we do not know. What I take from this is how fragile our structure and system is, that we have a flu virus, that is transmitted the same way as previous flu viruses, with what we know having a similar death rate and the effects similar, can crash our economy and shut down our lives. It certainly sends a message to all the countries that dont like us that its pretty easy to do.

Except it's not similar death rates... There's too much money on the line for this simply to be about politics or over reaction. It's possible our hospitals will be over loaded in 2 weeks. Then normal non life threatening accidents become life threatening when... You can't get a doctor. Or think about women that are due to have a baby. For some... This is a scary situation.

I'm still scratching my head with the fact that elementary, Jr High and high schools in Iowa are still open. Young kids and elderly are the ones who really need to fear this virus.

I'm still scratching my head with the fact that elementary, Jr High and high schools in Iowa are still open. Young kids and elderly are the ones who really need to fear this virus.

Which those folks are at a greater risk if the virus spreads like wild fire. It sucks. I hate it. But if NBA players making millions dont play, should student athletes be playing? I vote for playing the conference tournaments in 45 days... But who knows what they'll do.

At this point from what we know from what we are told, and that information is fairly vague, all of this is either a gross over reaction or there is a whole lot that we do not know. What I take from this is how fragile our structure and system is, that we have a flu virus, that is transmitted the same way as previous flu viruses, with what we know having a similar death rate and the effects similar, can crash our economy and shut down our lives. It certainly sends a message to all the countries that dont like us that its pretty easy to do.

First off the coronavirus is not an influenza virus. Experts have a yearly Flu vaccine and sometimes a supplemental vaccine since they know the various variants and which type will be going thru the population. The coronavirus is in the family of viruses that give us the common cold but there are no vaccines right now for it.

Even with people getting flu shots many thousands die of the flu each year or more likely die of pneumonia complications. And probably a lot of these people who die of flu dont get a shot. Imagine if 150 million americans get the coronavirus and even 1% die.

They are just trying to keep it from spreading very rapidly where there would be little room in hospitals.

First off the coronavirus is not an influenza virus. Experts have a yearly Flu vaccine and sometimes a supplemental vaccine since they know the various variants and which type will be going thru the population. The coronavirus is in the family of viruses that give us the common cold but there are no vaccines right now for it.

Even with people getting flu shots many thousands die of the flu each year or more likely die of pneumonia complications. And probably a lot of these people who die of flu dont get a shot. Imagine if 150 million americans get the coronavirus and even 1% die.

They are just trying to keep it from spreading very rapidly where there would be little room in hospitals.
My question is this....Now that this Coronavirus exists, is it here to stay? Can it come back next winter? I have heard doctors say they have a cure for it, but it wouldn't get out there until next year.

Ya know, this could work in our favor. Luka may say, "I gotta come back now. I never had my chance at a NCAA tourney run."

Which those folks are at a greater risk if the virus spreads like wild fire. It sucks. I hate it. But if NBA players making millions dont play, should student athletes be playing? I vote for playing the conference tournaments in 45 days... But who knows what they'll do.

Saying "spreads like wildfire" is insensitive to Australians. What are you, racist or something?

Ya know, this could work in our favor. Luka may say, "I gotta come back now. I never had my chance at a NCAA tourney run."

That's what I was thinking but next season if unknown. What if he gets injured? Other variables that factor in that Iowa doesn't make it? Nothing is guaranteed.

My question is this....Now that this Coronavirus exists, is it here to stay? Can it come back next winter? I have heard doctors say they have a cure for it, but it wouldn't get out there until next year.

From the way I understand CoronaVirus has been around for awhile but this strains has gone through at least one if not more mutations which is making it nasty and contagious. It is the same as any virus as it is constantly changing and the vaccines are just a crap shoot on what strain is maybe going to pop up.

The big issue that I have heard will be the upcoming weather change. What I have heard is this particular virus does not like warm temperatures like many other viruses, so if the spring and summer are warm the hope is the virus is gone and then you start over.

Not to get to much into the conspiracy theories but look at where the virus came from and that is a big factor as to whether it will be back or not. We may never know the truth as to the real cause of this but it has for sure brought it to the forefront of the world

We're gonna look back at this some day in the future and just shake our heads.

That’s what happens if we don’t do this. The countries that have gotten on top of this did this stuff early. We are behaving like Italy where it’s getting out of hand.

Its obvious the media is hammering these decision makers to cancel everything because of the idealistic safety of the people. However, if I was the head of conference or the NCAA, knowing that I have far more to deal with than being idealistic, that I would have a problem with cancelling a huge tournament and telling people to go home so that they can all go across the street and hang out a restaurant or buffet or go downtown and go to the mall and go shopping. At some point everyone has to ask themselves where it stops at.

Its obvious the media is hammering these decision makers to cancel everything because of the idealistic safety of the people. However, if I was the head of conference or the NCAA, knowing that I have far more to deal with than being idealistic, that I would have a problem with cancelling a huge tournament and telling people to go home so that they can all go across the street and hang out a restaurant or buffet or go downtown and go to the mall and go shopping. At some point everyone has to ask themselves where it stops at.

yeah because people are idiots. I am hoping we get the word to work from home by this weekend and I won't leave me house until they tell me too. I get that not everyone will do that. Those people are gonna be at higher risk of getting it - and likely going to cause your friend with diabetes or your parents to die early. Great people!

That’s what happens if we don’t do this. The countries that have gotten on top of this did this stuff early. We are behaving like Italy where it’s getting out of hand.

Correct, I hope we all shake our heads - because we were cautious and stopped or slowed down the spread. That's BEST case scenario IMO.

The infectious disease community isn't sure why, but, actually, for the most part kids have been spared

The classic flu viruses generally put both the elderly and children at higher risk, but coronavirus disproportionately appears to put the elderly and those with significant chronic health conditions more at risk. There have been some young healthy people that have died but that appears to be the exception rather than the rule.

A big issue that is driving a lot of this is the panic. There are many people that think this virus is the kiss of death so if they even get an inkling of being sick they are off to the doctor or hospital when if they just stayed home and rested like most other virus they would be better in a few days. If they are sick they just possibly infected how many other people.

By deciding to go to the doctor or hospital it is taking up resources that can be used to help people that are actually sick and in danger. Now factor that into possibly millions of people there is no way our healthcare infrastructure can deal with it. Then illnesses that were not necessarily deadly start to kill people because no one can get into the hospital etc.

This is where the real danger comes by having all of these people together. It isn't the virus but the panic and healthcare system that gets overtaxed which makes it dangerous.

Latest posts