That stat about opening drive passing TDs

guffus

That stat that Iowa has not had a passing TD on an opening drive since 1991 seemed strange to me.

I immediately thought of the 2002 season when Brad Banks was runner-up in the Heisman, I thought Iowa scored on every opening drive.

The I looked up this description of the Michigan game and it sounds like Iowa threw A TD pass on its opening drive.

So what am I missing? Were they talking about only Iowa home games? I see Iowa threw TD passes for the first score in 1Q in a couple of 2002 home games, but I can't find a detailed box score to see if that was the opening drive.

That stat that Iowa has not had a passing TD on an opening drive since 1991 seemed strange to me.

I immediately thought of the 2002 season when Brad Banks was runner-up in the Heisman, I thought Iowa scored on every opening drive.

The I looked up this description of the Michigan game and it sounds like Iowa threw A TD pass on its opening drive.

So what am I missing? Were they talking about only Iowa home games? I see Iowa threw TD passes for the first score in 1Q in a couple of 2002 home games, but I can't find a detailed box score to see if that was the opening drive.

That was only on the opening drive OF THE SEASON. Still a shocking stat, but not quite as much so when you limit it to just the very first drive of each season.

What a difference. Just look at Utah St at Iowa in 2002 VS 2023.

That was only on the opening drive OF THE SEASON. Still a shocking stat, but not quite as much so when you limit it to just the very first drive of each season.
Yes, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

This is the stat.

When Cade McNamara threw a TD pass on the opening drive of the 2023 season, that was the first time Iowa threw a TD pass on the opening drive OF THE SEASON since 1991.

This is the stat.

When Cade McNamara threw a TD pass on the opening drive of the 2023 season, that was the first time Iowa threw a TD pass on the opening drive OF THE SEASON since 1991.
God bless it. This is who we are my guys! Embrace it. Love it! Iowa Football!