THANK YOU MATT GATENS

GREAT JOB. GREAT ROLE MODEL. GREAT YOUNG MAN.

He helped turn the program around. We'll look back and remember this year as the beginning of the great things.

Well done, Mr. Hawkeye

As great as this incoming class is, I don't see us turning things around without Gatens. Thank you for all you have done for Iowa.

Crossing my fingers for an NIT berth. (can't believe I just wrote that)

Once the turn around is complete we will look back and appreciate what guys like Gatens and Jarryd Cole sacrificed to make the turn around possible.

Yes, thank you Matt and the rest of the seniors and players on the team.

Even though we lost today... The past two days have been a blast for me. I can't remember the last time I was constantly checking my phone for updates during the B1G Tournament. Every minute that I sat in class I was wondering what the score was. I couldn't wait for each class to end so I could check the score.

Thank you for making March exciting, fun, and meaningful for me again. Good job, Hawks. Would be nice to be in the NIT as a reward for the hard work and dedication.

He had a pretty cool tweet after the game basically saying how he was looking forward to watch the Hawks as a fan now and how much he loved that growing up. Now that is a Hawkeye!

Once the turn around is complete we will look back and appreciate what guys like Gatens and Jarryd Cole sacrificed to make the turn around possible.

I certainly hope so. Gatens, I have little doubt will be remembered. But Cole is the guy who may well get forgotten, and I hope he doesn't. He was a key guy last year, without whom we don't beat Purdue.

Yes, thank you Matt and the rest of the seniors and players on the team. Even though we lost today... The past two days have been a blast for me. I can't remember the last time I was constantly checking my phone for updates during the B1G Tournament. Every minute that I sat in class I was wondering what the score was. I couldn't wait for each class to end so I could check the score. Thank you for making March exciting, fun, and meaningful for me again. Good job, Hawks. Would be nice to be in the NIT as a reward for the hard work and dedication.

You went to class today?????!!! Cmon man! :)

You went to class today?????!!! Cmon man! :)

Haha yeah. Would have loved to skip yesterday and today to watch the games (regardless of the outcome), but you know how professors are the last day before spring break... Always doing pop quizzes and having midterm stuff due so that people show up... It's like they have no idea the B1G Tournament is going on. :rolleyes:;):D

Is this like one of those greeting cards you get passed at work and you really don't know the person and they really don't know you but you write something and sign it anyway? Oh, ok. Thanks Matt, you were/are a great Hawkeye! Don't be a stranger! Good luck! ; )

Edward P

Maybe in 10-20 years he'll be a coach on the Hawkeyes and he'll get to see a tournament that way.

I think Fran summed it up nicely...

“I don't know that I’ve had a better captain – I’ve had some really good ones, and that's an amazing statement from me,” McCaffery said. “But then on top of it he raised his game to a completely different level to where he was virtually unstoppable.”
“At one point in time, I think most people respected what he'd accomplished – I think now you look at him differently and say, wait a minute, this guy has clearly got NBA potential. He's in the best shape of his life, shooting the ball extremely well, and I hope he plays for a long time.”

Thank you Matt. I will admit it. In retrospect I was too harsh on him throughout his career. Great Hawkeye, really helped make basketball fun again.

Matt persevered through the worst time in hawk BB. He will go down as the player that started getting us back on track. Gator will not soon be forgotten.

Thanks Matt.

Latest posts