Thank the good Lord!

lightning1

Pat Harty‏@PatHarty
Big thanks to Jordan Bohannon for being our guest today on the kcjj/Allhawkeyes radio show. He said practices are now dominated by defensive drills and that defense is clearly the top priority during the offseason in response to last season.

11:00 AM - 18 Jun 2018

Pat Harty‏@PatHarty
Jordan Bohannon said he expects Iowa to be much a better 3-point shooting team with the current roster that includes incoming freshmen joe Wieskamp and CJ Fredrick. He said you can see the difference in summer workouts.

Pat Harty‏@PatHarty
Big thanks to Jordan Bohannon for being our guest today on the kcjj/Allhawkeyes radio show. He said practices are now dominated by defensive drills and that defense is clearly the top priority during the offseason in response to last season.

11:00 AM - 18 Jun 2018

Pat Harty‏@PatHarty
Jordan Bohannon said he expects Iowa to be much a better 3-point shooting team with the current roster that includes incoming freshmen joe Wieskamp and CJ Fredrick. He said you can see the difference in summer workouts.

Thanks. Better late than never.

Well after the season we just had if practices weren't dominated by defensive drills you’d have to start questioning whether Fran had some sort of severe concussion.

Point being talk (from Fran not JBo) is still cheap. He can say all he wants about defense, but until he starts benching guys for lazy defensive plays we will probably see more of the same.

Well after the season we just had if practices weren't dominated by defensive drills you’d have to start questioning whether Fran had some sort of severe concussion.

Point being talk (from Fran not JBo) is still cheap. He can say all he wants about defense, but until he starts benching guys for lazy defensive plays we will probably see more of the same.
Amen.

image.jpg

Basketball now is about shooting the 3 and defending the 3. I didn't realize it until Knight78 pointed it out, but Iowa only attempted 672 3 pt. shots which was 221st in the country. Iowa has to shoot and make more 3(s) which is just as important as getting better on D. Obviously, Iowa has to get better on the defensive end, but the way this roster is constructed there is a limit on what they can do defensively. Michigan was very good defensively, but they were 3rd or 4th in 3 point attempts, that is formula that iowa needs to follow.

I'm anticipating a good year for Iowa Basketball. I think that the talent is there, sounds like the defensive effort (focus) is being addressed. I look for an NCAA bid and a top 5 finish in the conference along with a win or 2 in each BIG10 and NCAA tournaments.

I've never seen such a cynical and un-supportive group of fans than that dwell on Hawkeyenation basketball forums. It's why I like you guys, cause I know it's not all sunshine and rainbows but sheesh. This is what I want to hear from Jordan this off season. I want to hear they are working on D. I get it, now I will get called names and told that I am Gary Barta and part of the problem and that I dwell in mediocrity and I am the worst. But really, is Jordan not at least saying what you want to hear from him? What you've all been asking for? You want Fran to bench Cook and Jordan for being lazy? Just how many games do you WANT to lose? All of them? Why do you guys follow Iowa sports at all? I don't honestly get it. Without calling me a bunch of names or saying that I am Gary Barta, what do you want? Wins? That's what I want, and I want to hear that they are working on correcting their issues. I know it's lip service, but what else can it be at this point of the year? They can't play the games now. The players can't really win with you guys. If Jordan doesn't say anything about D - the response would be "well, Fran just doesn't get it, he can't coach defense and the players play too much Fortnite" - if he brings it up & that it's a point of emphasis this off season then it's "too late, no duh, why haven't been doing it this whole time"?

Savage Mofo's here on Hawkeyenation and it's hard to believe any of you actually support Iowa sports.

Last edited:
I've never seen such a cynical and un-supportive group of fans than that dwell on Hawkeyenation basketball forums. It's why I like you guys, cause I know it's not all sunshine and rainbows but sheesh. This is what I want to here from Jordan this off season. I want to hear they are working on D. I get it, now I will get called names and told that I am Gary Barta and part of the problem and that I dwell in mediocrity and I am the worst. But really, is Jordan not at least saying what you want to hear from him? What you've all been asking for? You want Fran to bench Cook and Jordan for being lazy? Just how many games do you WANT to lose? All of them? Why do you guys follow Iowa sports at all? I don't honestly get it. Without calling me a bunch of names or saying that I am Gary Barta, what do you want? Wins? That's what I want, and I want to hear that they are working on correcting their issues. I know it's lip service, but what else can it be at this point of the year? They can't play the games now. The players can't really win with you guys. If Jordan doesn't say anything about D - the response would be "well, Fran just doesn't get it, he can't coach defense and the players play too much Fortnite" - if he brings it up & that it's a point of emphasis this off season then it's "too late, no duh, why haven't been doing it this whole time"?

Savage Mofo's here on Hawkeyenation and it's hard to believe any of you actually support Iowa sports.
What part of “thank the good lord” and “better late than never” or “I’m anticipating a good year for Iowa basketball” did you struggle with?

What part of “thank the good lord” and “better late than never” or “I’m anticipating a good year for Iowa basketball” did you struggle with?

I didn't struggle with any of it, but you know just as well as I do where the overall general feel of this thread and board is. It's ok, I'm just sometimes curious as to what you guys want? Wins? That's what I want. That can't happen til October.

Basketball now is about shooting the 3 and defending the 3. I didn't realize it until Knight78 pointed it out, but Iowa only attempted 672 3 pt. shots which was 221st in the country. Iowa has to shoot and make more 3(s) which is just as important as getting better on D. Obviously, Iowa has to get better on the defensive end, but the way this roster is constructed there is a limit on what they can do defensively. Michigan was very good defensively, but they were 3rd or 4th in 3 point attempts, that is formula that iowa needs to follow.

I would like to see Jordan shoot the ball every time he touches it.....

Now they will not be able to double team him with JoeW a serious threat on the perimeter and Tyler and Luka working inside. Four scoring threats on the floor with perhaps Connor moving the ball quickly.....

Oh.....Yes.....!

:cool:

Interesting. Yet we scored over 78 pts a game and were one of the higher scoring teams out there.. I thought we were pretty decent at shooting 3s evidently not. The free throw percentage is what I'd like to see drastically improved as well Our guys are capable shooters. I know we can't have JBo shoot em all but guys like Garza, Cook and Moss who should be getting to the line a lot should be able to hit 72 plus percent at the very least. Garza kinda got off to a slow start due to freshman nerves/lack of confidence. Hopefully with that out of the way he'll get off to a better start this year. I really really like his game and think he should develop into a stud. Him getting to the line and making a solid percentage of them will be huge for him and team

I didn't struggle with any of it, but you know just as well as I do where the overall general feel of this thread and board is. It's ok, I'm just sometimes curious as to what you guys want? Wins? That's what I want. That can't happen til October.
Everyone here who is a true Hawkeye fan, which I think the majority are, wants the team to win games.

What amazes me is that you are surprised by the overall sentiment of this board. Like we just had a season that can be simply described as a train wreck, where we got embarrassed on numerous occasions and yet you think people are going to be smelling the roses?

Even you for example were pimping this narrative that Fran helped Wagner and Ellingson move on so he could upgrade our team with some transfers that we clearly needed only to hear Fran say we are holding firm with the roster we have. You have said if we don’t dance next year Fran should be gone. I consider myself fairly optimistic about the talent we have, but I for one would not be one bit surprised if we don’t make the dance.

Last edited: