texas has ZERO guys drafted, lol

Im not sure you are seeing the point. Chiz deserves all the credit for all of Auburn's wins last year, including Alabama and the SEC championship game. He even recruited Cam Newton and Gus Malzahn for their National Championship run. He obviously recruited all the talent that led the Cyclones to that one bowl win over Minnesota five years ago. His recruits led Texas to the 2009 BCS Championship game they lost to Alabama. I don't want to give him too much credit, but texas's 2005 title run and Auburns 2004 undefeated season were basically all a credit to his coaching and recruiting. Even going back to his time at Central Florida he was getting nfl players to play for him.

Future Iowa recruiting coordinator?

Stat of the draft as far as I'm concerned. It's pretty hard to imagine. I don't blame Texas for not going after Johnny M. He was a riskier recruit for sure A&M just cashed in and got lucky. But when it comes to them not going after Mr Crab legs RG3 even Dalton from a few years ago etc they had really been swinging and missing at the most important position when it comes to building a program. I think they had talent on the Oline and even receivers and RBs but they just for whatever reasons weren't able to develop them. You'd think they of all schools would be deeper at receiver and rbs then any other school and they wouldn't need to recruit any further out then 200 miles of Austin to do it.

Mack Brown made a habit of signing a Texas High School Junior all-world commit class in February just after signing day. He would get every kid who looked great their junior year, and not have any room left for the kids who emerged in their Senior year. I retrospect, the classes also got poached and kids (the talented ones) would go back on their word and sign with other teams.

Its funny because the kids playing for Texas would not get in as much trouble as other teams, like FSU/Miami/Oklahoma/A&M, but the coaching staff beneath Mac would have one "personal problem" after another that tied up their legal department and just embarrassed the program as much as any player getting in trouble would.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Couple thoughts here....[/FONT]

Texas has not fallen hard, its cyclical just like everything....and to suggest A&M has beaten them at anything is a major reach. In 2014 TAMU finished 6th and Texas 20th in the final Rivals rankings. In 2013 they finished 11th on the strength of 31 total recruits. Texas fished 24th and only signed 15 TOTAL..!! In 2012 Texas finished 2nd and A&M was 15th. The real question is why has A&M been so average for so long and why does their D suck so bad now....

As far as talent development, when does that fall on the players themselves...

A couple guys in here get, Mack was still a good coach and they still won lots of games, Greg Davis was too, and so is KF....things happen, fortunes fall, recruiting is fickle. Everyone wants to point a stick and say..."this is why this happened and why this team sucks now..." Its way more complicated than that.

Iowa isn't as good at developing talent (they are good at it) as much as they are at finding high-end talent that is miss-ranked. And interestingly enuff everyone wants to recruit 20, 4 star kids a year, but Texas, Bama, A&M, USC, LSU, etc...always recruit well even when they suck. Yet all of those teams have had MAJOR down turns over the last 10, 15, 20 years, some multiple times.

Another strange anomaly I see our fans pi&$& and moan about all the time is offer sheets, even when they are 4 star players...Piggy backing on what another started earlier, Robert Griffin was a 4 star with offers from Nebbie, Kansas, Tenn, Houston and Baylor. Andy Dalton was a 3-star with offers from TCU and UTEP. Johnny football was a 3-star with offers from...Baylor, Oregon, La Tech, Colorado St, Iowa State, Rice, Stanford, Tulsa, Wyoming....

The point is, there are literally hundreds of great recruits out there that aren't four star kids with 50 offers. You have to find them and then hope "your environment" is a good fit for "their personality". Then you have to hope all 100 plus of "your different attitudes" form good chemistry and their attitudes mix and game to game you keep your focus and momentum and then you have to hope it stays upright year after year....honestly nobody gets it. Its not as easy as this guy cant coach or this guy cant recruit or this guy has lost it....its way more complicated than that. Honestly strong QB play is the caveat, along with Oline/Dline, a modicum of good health and your team not unraveling. Then you have to hope your fans don't pi&%^& and moan so much you lose your job during a down stretch.

C

Texas probably has more stars in one class than Iowa has in a decade. The odds of nobody getting drafted is powerball territory.

I don't know if Greg Davis is a good coach or not, but his firing was certainly a scapegoat. To get that much talent and nobody getting drafted, somebody ****ed some **** up.

Latest posts