Terrible weather

I take zero shame in saying I can’t do without AC. I sleep like a baby in the summer with the AC cranked way up which is good for my life. I spend a ton of time outdoors in the summer fishing, coaching, and camping, and coming into the cool temps at the end of the day is bliss.

Remember though, being soft is a relative term. Less than 100 years ago you would have been considered soft for saying you couldn’t live without indoor plumbing and refusing to shit outside in the middle of winter. I’m betting you’re probably fond of having a toilet.

Meh, a toilet is a major factor in modern hygiene. If you ain't got them, disease takes off. I do piss outside every chance I get, though.

Merely a matter of personal preference

I prefer fresh air to conditioned

Friends of mine either have the heat or air conditioning on all year round

Nary a breath of fresh air ever

That's Cool
I get plenty of fresh air, and we'll open the windows if it gets down to the low 70s and low humidity. But when it's 80+ and the humidity is creeping up, no thanks. But of course everyone is different. I can deal with the cold, and if I didn't have a wife & kids to keep warm, I'd keep my house at probably 62 in the winter. The cold doesn't really bother me. But I don't do heat & humidity.

Not to mention those couple weeks every spring where everything is pollinating and my allergies go bonkers. :) Gotta have the windows closed and a good filter in the furnace during those few weeks.

I get plenty of fresh air, and we'll open the windows if it gets down to the low 70s and low humidity. But when it's 80+ and the humidity is creeping up, no thanks. But of course everyone is different. I can deal with the cold, and if I didn't have a wife & kids to keep warm, I'd keep my house at probably 62 in the winter. The cold doesn't really bother me. But I don't do heat & humidity.

Not to mention those couple weeks every spring where everything is pollinating and my allergies go bonkers. :) Gotta have the windows closed and a good filter in the furnace during those few weeks.

We run at 62 all winter. We do go up to 65 upstairs when we go to bed. All the houses down here have 2 furnaces and 2 A/Cs and it is nice being able to go variable on each floor. My wife is really big on not wasting energy. Last time I was in Japan in the winter it was 38 degrees in the hallways in the morning because over they just heat the occupied rooms and there is no central heat. I think a lot of people have no idea how lucky we are to have such bountiful natural gas in the US.

We run at 62 all winter. We do go up to 65 upstairs when we go to bed. All the houses down here have 2 furnaces and 2 A/Cs and it is nice being able to go variable on each floor. My wife is really big on not wasting energy. Last time I was in Japan in the winter it was 38 degrees in the hallways in the morning because over they just heat the occupied rooms and there is no central heat. I think a lot of people have no idea how lucky we are to have such bountiful natural gas in the US.

I keep it around 65 at night and around 68 during the day

And I have 100% wool sweaters that I wear all the time

It’s not the heat that makes Iowa summers uncomfortable, it’s the humidity. To me the biggest benefit of central AC is taking the humidity out of the air.

I love Iowa, but those days in June and July where you walk out of the house and instantly sweat buckets because of how wet the air is are for the birds. I keep my ac cranked to 66 from late spring till fall.
It’s the gnats that I don’t miss. Nothing worse than a humid summer day and gnats swarming your ass.

It’s the gnats that I don’t miss. Nothing worse than a humid summer day and gnats swarming your ass.

My neighbors and I crush beers outside routinely during summer. Early evenings, it's great. There is something worse than gnats. Chiggers. My legs are a scab from my knees down to my toes from mid June through August. We're gonna go aggressive with some lawn stuff this year and try to build a bubble around my house.

My neighbors and I crush beers outside routinely during summer. Early evenings, it's great. There is something worse than gnats. Chiggers. My legs are a scab from my knees down to my toes from mid June through August. We're gonna go aggressive with some lawn stuff this year and try to build a bubble around my house.
Luckily in NW Iowa all we have to deal with is mosquitoes. We have a small black fly hatch right away early spring but they die off pretty quickly.

And the mosquitoes haven't been terrible in several years. Our town does a good job of fogging, and they finally came to the realization that 4 times a summer isn't really that much more expensive than once. It's amazing what fogging does to knock them down. They've even talked about buying a truck bed unit for the city and sending one of our guys to get trained to do it, but it would bump up the town's insurance slightly and it ends up a wash compared to having a contractor come in. There's a lot of shit I don't like my tax dollars to pay for, but if I gotta throw a few extra bucks in the pot for that I'm all about it.

There's a lot of shit I don't like my tax dollars to pay for, but if I gotta throw a few extra bucks in the pot for that I'm all about it.

Please keep this on the politics board.

I do remember when I lived in Evanston they did a comprehensive breakdown of your tax bill and the Northshore Mosquito Abatement District's $12 a year or whatever was the only thing on there where I thought "Yeah, I'm getting good value there."

Latest posts