Templeton Rye

ohhawk

OK, not really football related although it might be adviseable to partake before tommorrow's game and the holiday season is approaching for those short on Xmas gift ideas. Spotted 4 bottles of this stuff this morning in Clive at 156th & Hickman at Kum & Go. Have a feeling that a number of their outlets may be stocking a few bottles.

Just passing it along in the Hawkeye spirit of things for those that might have an interest.

First, let me say that Templeton Rye that is sold commercially tastes nothing like the stuff that gets passed around IC out of gallon milk jugs that were delicately duct taped shut at the time of bottling.

Second, do you guys believe this stuff is scarce? It isn't. They've got it all over Chicago and the stores usually sell like one bottle a month to some schlub from Iowa like me who thinks "Hmm, I like Templeton Rye" only to be disappointed.

Yeah, I bought a bottle in Chicago finally.. not my thing. And pricey to boot.

Would drink a mid level Bourbon over it any day.. and at $15 dollars or so cheaper.

First, let me say that Templeton Rye that is sold commercially tastes nothing like the stuff that gets passed around IC out of gallon milk jugs that were delicately duct taped shut at the time of bottling.

Second, do you guys believe this stuff is scarce? It isn't. They've got it all over Chicago and the stores usually sell like one bottle a month to some schlub from Iowa like me who thinks "Hmm, I like Templeton Rye" only to be disappointed.

The stuff sold in stores isn't the "real" templeton rye. The real stuff requires a jug and duct tape to be identifiable. I have sampled the real stuff...there is no comparison. You can find the comercial stuff anywhere. Wondering why people buy into the urban legend that it is scarce. Or that it tastes any better than other commercial rye whisky.

The stuff sold in stores isn't the "real" templeton rye. The real stuff requires a jug and duct tape to be identifiable. I have sampled the real stuff...there is no comparison. You can find the comercial stuff anywhere. Wondering why people buy into the urban legend that it is scarce. Or that it tastes any better than other commercial rye whisky.

Let me tell you about marketing....

It was hard to come by when they first started selling in 2006, because those first few years were small batches and it ages for 4 years, they have upped production to the point where it is no longer harder to find.

It's available everywhere. It is almost a novelty when it is scarce. Remember Coors beer and Michelob Golden were similar fads at one time.

This thread makes me laugh. Know a couple who own a small liquor store. Just 6 months ago they had a 2 page waiting list for Templeton Rye. Getting calls daily from surrounding states with people begging for it. "Oh, it's sooooo good."
Now that supply has caught up with demand, "Meh, it ain't that good."
If I was Jonny Templeton, I never woulda increased production. lol

I have been able to buy it from Hy-Vee, or their drug store for a while. Seem to always have it stocked. I thought I read an article where supply was going to increase because of the feature in HBO's Boardwalk Empire.

I'm a Diet Mt Dew man, myself.
BTW: a decent mod would move this thread where it belongs. Just sayin'.
k/thx

Last edited:
I just cracked my third diet Pepsi this am. I will prob hit the five mark today. I think it is eroding my throat but it doesn't hurt as bad as watching jvb in gd's system this year.

Worst of all - it isn't even Iowan. Templeton has been distilled in Lawrensburg, IN since (re)production began in the mid-2000s.

I saw this thread going the whiskey snob route, but it didn't happen.

The store stuff is not real good. You bump around enough small town bars around Carroll and you will find a mason jar of what you are looking for...and its damn good.

Pass on the store bottle and grab a bottle of Buffalo Trace. Cheaper and better.

The store stuff is not real good. You bump around enough small town bars around Carroll and you will find a mason jar of what you are looking for...and its damn good.

Pass on the store bottle and grab a bottle of Buffalo Trace. Cheaper and better.

Buffalo Trace was exactly the average bourbon I was thinking of.. better, cheaper, common sense.

bulleit.