Temple melts down over Uhl

Temple's been to 6 NCAA tournaments since we've been to one. Temple's been to two sweet sixteens since we've been to one. Temple's been to five Elite Eights since we've been to one. Temple's the sixth all-time winningest college basketball program, ahead of UCLA. Temple has a higher all-time winning percentage than Indiana and Georgetown.

But yeah, Temple...lol.

In a much weaker conference than UCLA, Indiana, and Georgetown.

There isn't another team from a non-BCS conference in the Top Ten, so Temple is obviously an outlier of success. Also, did you miss the part where Temple has been to 6 Elite Eights in the last 25 years? You don't play UWGB in the Sweet Sixteen.

Finally - in the past fifteen years, they've won 12 NCAA tournament games. We've won - wait for it - 1.

Like I said, Dom Uhl committing to us over Temple is like someone from our backyard going to Auburn, or Washington State, or Tulane. No matter how you slice it, we're not on the level of Temple, and we haven't been for a long time.

I would not say "much" weaker, there are years that the Atlantic 10 has been a tougher conference than the PAC12 and the B1G.

I don't know why we are knocking Temple, they are not your typical mid-major. They have a very good basketball tradition and recruit very well.

Just like investing in the market, the real question for a recruit isn't past performance, but future success. No one argues Iowa's direction in the future, but what direction is the other programs going that a recruit is considering.

I had to chuckle about the comment from one Temple fan who claimed he had visited Iowa City, which was surrounded by wheat fields.

Bottom line, they were upset about losing Uhl , who was predicted unanimously by 247 to be a lock for them the day before the announcement. This was similar to their pronouncement that LaChance was a lock for Iowa just before he committed to Vandy. Unfortunately for Temple, they needed Uhl a lot more than we needed LaChance, therefore the angst.

Last edited:
There isn't another team from a non-BCS conference in the Top Ten, so Temple is obviously an outlier of success. Also, did you miss the part where Temple has been to 6 Elite Eights in the last 25 years? You don't play UWGB in the Sweet Sixteen.

Finally - in the past fifteen years, they've won 12 NCAA tournament games. We've won - wait for it - 1.

Like I said, Dom Uhl committing to us over Temple is like someone from our backyard going to Auburn, or Washington State, or Tulane. No matter how you slice it, we're not on the level of Temple, and we haven't been for a long time.

I wasn't comparing Iowa and Temple. I was saying comparing Temple's all time record against Indiana, UCLA, and Georgetown doesn't make sense. The level of competition isn't the same.

Temple's been to 6 NCAA tournaments since we've been to one. Temple's been to two sweet sixteens since we've been to one. Temple's been to five Elite Eights since we've been to one. Temple's the sixth all-time winningest college basketball program, ahead of UCLA. Temple has a higher all-time winning percentage than Indiana and Georgetown.

But yeah, Temple...lol.

Gosh you got me! All that time winning in the gauntlet of the A-10 and now the even more daunting American Athletic Conference really shows their dominance!

Temple...lol

But yeah, Temple...lol.

Shut up Temple fanboy.

We do..
We had almost an acre of potatoes when I was a kid. Damn I hated digging potatoes.

True statement as my folks still grow potatoes every year in the garden. I was born in Grinnell hospital many moons ago. I consider it an honor to be born on some of the richest soil in the world. Also appreciative to be raised in Iowa and the privilege to work with many farmers. From sun up to sun down, bloodied, bruised, and blistered. Like the old EF Hutton commercials I made my income in my youth the old fashioned way....... I earned it. If I had the choice to do it differently I wouldn't have changed a think. Hard work builds character.

The two things I am praying for this week are an end to the government shut down so I can get paid for going to work everyday. The second is for a major upset of the vaulted Buckeye football team this Saturday.

True statement as my folks still grow potatoes every year in the garden. I was born in Grinnell hospital many moons ago. I consider it an honor to be born on some of the richest soil in the world. Also appreciative to be raised in Iowa and the privilege to work with many farmers. From sun up to sun down, bloodied, bruised, and blistered. Like the old EF Hutton commercials I made my income in my youth the old fashioned way....... I earned it. If I had the choice to do it differently I wouldn't have changed a think. Hard work builds character.

The two things I am praying for this week are an end to the government shut down so I can get paid for going to work everyday. The second is for a major upset of the vaulted Buckeye football team this Saturday.

Part 1 of your prayer was answered....now the tough part....beating OSU...c'mon good Lord we need ya!

Now this one kinda irks me:

"Stop trying to rationalize. Iowa is not a destination basketball program. Never has been."
Well then he must have forgot the mid to late 80s... The youngins memories don't go back that far. I take his statement of a 'destination basketball program' as meaning great players from across the country want to play there. For most of recent history that'd be true. But when Iowa got BJ, Ed and Roy back then that blows that up. When we had some good teams in the 90s we had Iowa kids that were great the Streets, Settles etc. However Iowa got Acie Earl and Kingsbury come and that was a big big deal. Kingsbury was a huge get during recruiting I can't remember if Earl was or not but he sure ended up that way. But Iowa didn't get too many of those types of out of state recruits and even the mid 90s is going back a ways if the person that said that quote is in his 20s. But none of that is why Uhl came to Iowa or turned down Temple and other east coast schools. He liked Fran. It's relationships with coaches it's as simple as that. It's why Simmons went to LSU...

Latest posts