Tebow wonderlick prayer

I wasn't really trying to make fun of the guy for wanting to pray, I just thought and speculating that all the players probably get sick of hearing about Saint Tebow and all the press he gets.(as we all did) I'm guessing he probably did better then the guy who told him to shut the f up on the wonderlick test.

I wasn't really trying to make fun of the guy for wanting to pray, I just thought and speculating that all the players probably get sick of hearing about Saint Tebow and all the press he gets.(as we all did) I'm guessing he probably did better then the guy who told him to shut the f up on the wonderlick test.

Tebow got a 22, not exactly setting the world on fire, and a lot of people were probably agreeing with the guy who told him to shut up. If Tebow wanted to pray he should have just said a quiet prayer to himself.

Tebow got a 22, not exactly setting the world on fire, and a lot of people were probably agreeing with the guy who told him to shut up. If Tebow wanted to pray he should have just said a quiet prayer to himself.

I think that's the problem that a lot of people have with Tebow. It's not that he's a bad kid or anything...probably just the opposite according to all reports. His religious views just seem kind of in-your-face all the time. It's obviously a large part of his life and that's great for him. Others may get tired of having it pushed at them.

I think that's the problem that a lot of people have with Tebow. It's not that he's a bad kid or anything...probably just the opposite according to all reports. His religious views just seem kind of in-your-face all the time. It's obviously a large part of his life and that's great for him. Others may get tired of having it pushed at them.

This^^^^^. I believe in God, I accept Christ as my savior, but I won't try to force others to go along with me. It's a choice, and if there's a player who wants to pray, then they can take a minute and offer a little one just on their own. I know I used to get offended when somebody would try to force stuff on me, and I would sometimes take the "shut the f*** up" route. It's great that Tebow has that strong faith. There's just no need to make others join you if they don't want to.

The article said....'Tebow made a request that the players bow their heads in prayer before taking the 50-question exam.'

If he ASKed if guys wanted to pray then I'm not sure how that is 'throwing it in peoples faces'.... I would think a simple ‘no thanks’ would have worked just as well as 'shut the F up'... but... I'm guessing it's not the first time or the last time Tim will hear the F word as it relates to his faith.

Shalom...

P.S. I just prayed for everyone that reads this thead... ;)

The article said....'Tebow made a request that the players bow their heads in prayer before taking the 50-question exam.'

If he ASKed if guys wanted to pray then I'm not sure how that is 'throwing it in peoples faces'.... I would think a simple ‘no thanks’ would have worked just as well as 'shut the F up'... but... I'm guessing it's not the first time or the last time Tim will hear the F word as it relates to his faith.

Shalom...

P.S. I just prayed for everyone that reads this thead... ;)

You may not have this kind of experience, but I certainly did at a younger age. Before I found my faith, it was ridiculously awkward when someone would say grace, beccause I didn't believe in that stuff. You're left with either pretending to pray, or ignoring it. And that just singles you out, which is the epitome of awkward.

Asking a room full of men who may or may not have that faith puts them in that kind of situation. Yes, a "no thanks" would suffice, but these are college kids, and apparently some are as sick of the Tebow Hype Express as a lot of CFB fans were. That response would be pretty typical, I'm sure.

I agree with you.... I've always found that a soft sell approach works best... when folks come to you and ask 'why' you do this or that... or 'how come' you acted that way or this way... then you can chime in with 'because of my faith'...

Tim is a bit forward, but, that works for some.

You may not have this kind of experience, but I certainly did at a younger age. Before I found my faith, it was ridiculously awkward when someone would say grace, beccause I didn't believe in that stuff. You're left with either pretending to pray, or ignoring it. And that just singles you out, which is the epitome of awkward.

Asking a room full of men who may or may not have that faith puts them in that kind of situation. Yes, a "no thanks" would suffice, but these are college kids, and apparently some are as sick of the Tebow Hype Express as a lot of CFB fans were. That response would be pretty typical, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Really? They weren't in a church, they were getting ready to take a test.

Really? You think he put a gun to anyone's head and told him to pray? You think "Tim, I don't want to pray" would be better than what he/they apparently said? You see how many NFL players pray after games? I'm sure Tebow meant well but you probably wouldn't consider that would you?

I think this has a lot more to do with other players frustration with Tebow being the chosen one than it does with praying.

I have no idea who said it, but I bet it was more directed at the player than the prayer.

Really? You think he put a gun to anyone's head and told him to pray? You think "Tim, I don't want to pray" would be better than what he/they apparently said? You see how many NFL players pray after games? I'm sure Tebow meant well but you probably wouldn't consider that would you?

Nobody is saying he didn't mean well, but its the over the top forcing of religion that he does that rubs people the wrong way. They weren't in church, they were about to take a freaking test. If Tebow wants to pray, he can pray.

Nobody needs Tim Tebow to lead them in a prayer, these are big boys, not five year olds.

I thought it was hilarious, and well deserved. And hopefully he learns from it, because nobody will put up with that crap in the NFL.

Play football, do your religious activities after or away from football.

I think this has a lot more to do with other players frustration with Tebow being the chosen one than it does with praying.

I have no idea who said it, but I bet it was more directed at the player than the prayer.

He lived up to his reputation, so it probably was directly related to frustration/being annoyed.

I get tired of everyone pushing their anti-religous views in my face all the time. However, I don't tell you to shut the **** up. Maybe I should start.

Thats what is so great about living in a country with free speech. Tebow is free to ask for a group prayer and anyone is allowed to answer it with a STFU. I'm not saying you have to like it.:p

...but that’s different.... ;)

I get tired of everyone pushing their anti-religious views in my face all the time. However, I don't tell you to shut the **** up. Maybe I should start.

Some fairly level headed comments in this thread, on both sides.... a pleasant surprise... good job Hawkeye Nation!

carry on...

Tebow might do well to actually follow the advice of the bible that he seems to enjoy being publicly associated with:

“When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get. But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you." -Matthew 6:5-6

umm, this isn't a "good vs evil" event. No one said the other players were "non-believers". One of the comments after the article suggested that Tebow was being a Leader. I suggest not. I think he overstepped himself and showed a lack of maturity. Tebow has no religious superiority over anyone else and he needs to respect others' personal stances, or lack thereof.

umm, this isn't a "good vs evil" event. No one said the other players were "non-believers". One of the comments after the article suggested that Tebow was being a Leader. I suggest not. I think he overstepped himself and showed a lack of maturity. Tebow has no religious superiority over anyone else and he needs to respect others' personal stances, or lack thereof.

Exactly!

And to clarify, I am religious myself.

BUT...I find it somewhat inconsiderate and rude when people try to force their religion on other people.

Maybe Tim didn't do that in this instance, but over his college career, he's been preaching just as much as he's been playing football. And I wont miss that at all.