Teams Iowa should beat 8 out of 10 times.

Who Should Iowa beat 8 out of 10 times? Choose all that apply.

• Total voters

OUTofTOWNHAWK

Kind of touched on in a different thread. Who do you think Iowa should beat 8 out of 10 times. Check all that apply.

Other than the MAC teams and maybe Indiana, I'm not seeing many. Iowa should beat ISU more often than not, but an 80% clip is pretty high. There is a lot of parity and a lot of teams vying to be the best and given that Iowa is a pretty average program, I'm not seeing a lot of teams that I think we should beat 80% of the time. Sure, it would be nice, but it is not grounded in reality.

Other than the MAC teams and maybe Indiana, I'm not seeing many. Iowa should beat ISU more often than not, but an 80% clip is pretty high. There is a lot of parity and a lot of teams vying to be the best and given that Iowa is a pretty average program, I'm not seeing a lot of teams that I think we should beat 80% of the time. Sure, it would be nice, but it is not grounded in reality.

I thought the same thing. I was going to start marking & got to IA State & thought "80% is a bit unrealistic". It's even unrealistic for most BIG teams, so gave up & didn't mark any.

I thought the same thing. I was going to start marking & got to IA State & thought "80% is a bit unrealistic". It's even unrealistic for most BIG teams, so gave up & didn't mark any.

Okay maybe it should be 7 out of 10. IDK but if you look at the BoneG Id bet top 5 beat the bottom 5 70% or 80% of the time.

Other than conference opponents, if we are beating them 8 of 10 times, we probably should find someone a little tougher to play.

I didnt vote for the 2 directional Michigan schools, because we should beat them 10 out of 10 times.

NW always gets up for Iowa. I wish we would, but I dont think, with this staff, we can.

Nebby, Wisky, tOSU, PsU, Mich and Mich St. are tough teams to beat. Esp. on the road. I would love to beat them 8 out of 10. But, with this staff, I think shooting for .500 is the best we can do.

I voted for

ISU
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Purdue
Indiana

First off, Iowa should really never lose to a MAC level team at home. That should be higher than 80% more like 95-100%. That should be like a once every 2 decades sort of thing. Iowa should handle the bottom of the barrel teams in the conference on a regular basis (Purdue and Indiana currently fit that billing).

ISU......ISU.....poor ole Clown U. ISU is one of the worse...if not the worst power conference school ever. They have improved since the Hayden years, but they are still terrible. Iowa may not win 15 in a row again, but they should handle these jokers on a regular basis. A program like Iowa should not lose to this program every other year. No excuse for it.

Northwestern, Illinois, and Minny......7 out of 10. Not really much different from above, just a notch below. Should handle these schools most years. Maryland and Rutgers probably belong here to, but not enough data yet. Minny could be on the rise, but they need to continue to prove it to move out of this tier.

Kirk has failed on the above in winning games against the teams he should be winning against most years. Under performing as a double digit favorite against the weaker portion of the schedule.

Wisconsin, Michigan St, PSU, Nebraska, Michigan. Wisconsin and MSU are obviously at almost the top of their games right now. However, I think Iowa should be able to beat all these teams at least 3-5 times a decade. PSU is/was a blue-blood program, but has obviously had major problems with the scandals and we have owned them for the most part. PSU is not the blue blood program they once were. Nebraska and Michigan are also obviously not the programs they once were, but are blue-blood programs. They could slide into the OSU category again with the right coaching hire....but we have got the better of Michigan for the most part (also a down program) and Nebraska is not unbeatable like they once were. Iowa dominated Nebraska in Lincoln the last time they played them and Iowa should have blew them out this year.

OSU is a once a decade (or 2) like win. They have owned us and we have had little answers. However, we have played them pretty competitive as of late.

Last edited:
It's not even a debate that, given the fan support, resources / facilities and, yes, talent, Iowa SHOULD beat ISU, Minny, Illannoy, NwU, PU, Indy, Rutgers, C-Mich & W-Mich 80% of the time. Add to that, Iowa's incredibly weak non-conf schedule, year-in / year-out, there's zero reason Iowa should win fewer than 8 games, every season. Do you realize that's merely expecting Hawks to go 4-4 or better in B14, each year?

As for the rest:
Nebraska 50%
Wisky 50%
tOSU 10% or 20%
Michigan 50%
Mich St 50%
Penn St 60%
Maryland 60%

Except Ohio State, every one of these schools are "peer" schools over an average 10-year cycle. As I've always said are my expectations, Iowa should beat it's peer schools 45-55% of the time.

Take a look at those expectations. Unreasonable? Unrealistic? If so, F the Hawkeyes; I'll go follow a team that actually competes and wins on a level equivalent to it's on-field capabilities.

Thing is, these expectations are COMPLETELY reasonable, based on fact and realizable potential.

The only missing ingredient -- the only obstacle -- is, has been and will be Kirk Ferentz and Greg Davis' personnel mismanagement and offensive football strategy.

There's a fine line between love and hate....as there is between should and could. We are who we've become.....

It certainly was better some time ago, but we also may have been playing on a previous head coach's legacy or reputation that was built up, and possibly carried over for half a decade. Sadly, we are no longer that program in the w/L column. RIP Norm, as we miss him as well.

Last edited:
I am permanently skewed by the Hayden years, so I went with ISU, NW, and the two directional Michigans.

ISU--we really should beat them at home every time, which leaves 3 out of 5 at Jack Trice. Unrealistic? Maybe, but only by a game.

NW--probably unrealistic, but we should win those all the home games and 2 of 5 in E-town.

D. Michigans--realistic.

Every team on the list plays their Superbowl against Iowa so it's not even relevant. If these teams weren't all extra jacked up vs. the Fighting Parentz's these would all be 8/10 every time.

At first I thought you were off base, and missing the point. Then I kept reading and agree with the way you wrapped it up.

My expectations are no longer in sync with the state of the program.

Maybe Iowa knows who it is, but this fan does not.

I'll work on that over the offseason.

With careful kirk it will be hard to beat any of these teams 5 out of 10 times. That doesnt mean a program like Iowa shouldnt beat a hand full of these teams 8 out of 10 times. Careful K has proven Iowa has the talent to do it just not the offensive brain power.

I think a good poll would be name teams in the top 25 that we should be in before they are when you take in to account history, resources, fan base , facilities etc. I don't know about 8 out of 10 but I sure feel like we should be in the top 25 at least 4 out of every 5 years?