Tate v Stanley Through First Five

2004 seems like a 100 years ago. I remember Tate threw a lot of short passes to make up for not having a running game. Slants, bubble screens, short hitches that was Iowa's running game. YAC was so important that year. The short stuff set up the deep stuff, double moves, deep crossing routes, etc. KOK was truly innovative that year I wonder how much input KF had on the game plan?

at least KOK realized after the ASU game that if they were going to move the ball it was going to have to be a pass first offense. I don't see bf retooling the offense mid season.

Okay, I figured it out. The one thing this offense is missing is the wide receiver reverse pass. Teams will never see it coming this time. Like, hey look a wide receiver reverse, then you see the wide receiver wind up for an excruciatingly long passing motion and the crowd gasps like OMG ITS A REVERSE PASSS!!!!

Look at the depth chart and find the wide receiver who was a quarterback in high school and run this play now!!!!

Okay, I figured it out. The one thing this offense is missing is the wide receiver reverse pass. Teams will never see it coming this time. Like, hey look a wide receiver reverse, then you see the wide receiver wind up for an excruciatingly long passing motion and the crowd gasps like OMG ITS A REVERSE PASSS!!!!

Look at the depth chart and find the wide receiver who was a quarterback in high school and run this play now!!!!

What the hell, let AJ throw it. I think he can play all 24 positions, including kicker and punter.

View attachment 2785

This is all apropos of nothing...but I had no idea what I would find when I began this. Nearly identical attempts, completions and yards...

Both were first year starters in their true soph seasons. Stanley with a much better TD/INT ratio...and rating. Similar YPA. Stanley with more bigger play completions...2017 Iowa with more points scored and fewer allowed through five games...2017 Iowa with similar SOS IMO, as PSU was #4, and none of Iowa's foes to that point were ranked, although Michigan went 7-1 as the season played itself out.

And oh my, the natives were restless after the ASU loss....

All I can say is that Stanley looks like the real deal to me. Tate was my favorite ferentz era qb cuz he had that "let's get some....stuff...done." Don't see that killer instinct in Stanley, but he's damn talented. I think he winds up an all timer at Iowa.

View attachment 2785

This is all apropos of nothing...but I had no idea what I would find when I began this. Nearly identical attempts, completions and yards...

Both were first year starters in their true soph seasons. Stanley with a much better TD/INT ratio...and rating. Similar YPA. Stanley with more bigger play completions...2017 Iowa with more points scored and fewer allowed through five games...2017 Iowa with similar SOS IMO, as PSU was #4, and none of Iowa's foes to that point were ranked, although Michigan went 7-1 as the season played itself out.

And oh my, the natives were restless after the ASU loss....
2004 defense vs the current defense? How do they stack up?

Su
2004 defense vs the current defense? How do they stack up?
Superior depth on the D-line is keeping us in games this season. Of course they do show fatigue when playing nearly 100 defensive snaps. Jewel is a force and Jackson will be the next great Iowa corner.

The 2004 defense was loaded w/ future NFL players. Very good against the run and tough in the redzone. Good enough to go 10-2 in the end. Some of the names on that unit were Roth, Babineaux, Considine, Greenway, Hodge.

Can you expand on the development aspects??

It’s not unusual for a QB to get into a groove when it comes to passing the ball. The more he passes the better he is going to get at it. Just like a basketball player needs to keep shooting until he gets into a groove. How much skill does it take to hand the ball off? Not only that but it is insane to always do an audible when your going to run the ball. It allows the defense to go all in and bring the house. Good luck running against that kind of defense.

We saw how well passing the ball worked the one year (under Tate if I remember correctly) when we had to pass the ball because all of our running backs were injured. It was pass twice and run once. This strikes out against the usual run twice and pass once.

Stanley is not very mobile and obviously his best skill is going to be maximized by throwing the ball. So by sticking to the run more often than not his development is being negatively impacted in my opinion. Also once the pass is established then the defense has to play an honest game which in turn opens up the running game. This gives Stanley more options and this helps in his development over all.

Last edited:
It’s not unusual for a QB to get into a groove when it comes to passing the ball. The more he passes the better he is going to get at it. Just like a basketball player needs to keep shooting until he gets into a groove. How much skill does it take to hand the ball off? Not only that but it is insane to always do an audible when your going to run the ball. It allows the defense to go all in and bring the house. Good luck running against that kind of defense.

We saw how well passing the ball worked the one year (under Tate if I remember correctly) when we had to pass the ball because all of our running backs were injured. It was pass twice and run once. This strikes out against the usual run twice and pass once.

Stanley is not very mobile and obviously his best skill is going to be maximized by throwing the ball. So by sticking to the run more often than not his development is being negatively impacted in my opinion. Also once the pass is established then the defense has to play an honest game which in turn opens up the running game. This gives Stanley more options and this helps in his development over all.
Tate was very mobile in the pocket. Slippery.

Last edited:
2004 was the last Big Ten title that KF won. Here was the 2004 OL, so that we can see

Tate was very mobile in the pocket. Slippery.

Yep, that was fun to watch him scramble and then hit a receiver that was breaking into the open.

It seems to me that KF wants a Stanley type QB. It seems that KF has his best years when he doesn't have that type of QB...aka Brad Banks, Stazi, Tate, CJ...

Latest posts