Tate v Stanley Through First Five

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 9.40.47 PM.jpg

This is all apropos of nothing...but I had no idea what I would find when I began this. Nearly identical attempts, completions and yards...

Both were first year starters in their true soph seasons. Stanley with a much better TD/INT ratio...and rating. Similar YPA. Stanley with more bigger play completions...2017 Iowa with more points scored and fewer allowed through five games...2017 Iowa with similar SOS IMO, as PSU was #4, and none of Iowa's foes to that point were ranked, although Michigan went 7-1 as the season played itself out.

And oh my, the natives were restless after the ASU loss....

View attachment 2785

This is all apropos of nothing...but I had no idea what I would find when I began this. Nearly identical attempts, completions and yards...

Both were first year starters in their true soph seasons. Stanley with a much better TD/INT ratio...and rating. Similar YPA. Stanley with more bigger play completions...2017 Iowa with more points scored and fewer allowed through five games...2017 Iowa with similar SOS IMO, as PSU was #4, and none of Iowa's foes to that point were ranked, although Michigan went 7-1 as the season played itself out.

And oh my, the natives were restless after the ASU loss....
I think maybe the Stanley/Stanzi comparison might be better. Similar style QBs, both struggled early in their first year starting, both started conference play 0-2. Hopefully Nate sees improvement throughout the year like Stanzi did in 2008...

Interesting comparison. Tate definitely had playmaking ability NS doesn't have but Nate does a great job hanging in the pocket and delivering throws. Not doubt his size aids in that. But it's a severely underrated skill that you either have it or don't. Some guys just can't help but to bail early when the pocket starts to collapse and Nate isn't one of those guys.

Fix the fumbling issues and hit a deep throw or 2 and HN will giddy. Thankfully those are correctable.

That ASU game still hurts but it brings up a good point. Our lack of offense in that game was very similar to our struggles this year. I was done with KOK after that game watching him run on 3rd and long over and over. Running the same run play on first down, the audibles oh why did you have to remind me of that game? Is it a coincidence that he is back and mentoring Brian and we are seeing the same offensive tendencies? I think not.

Is this a reflection of two QBs or the reflection of a control freak coach who won't let go and let the QB develope into their true potential?

That ASU game still hurts but it brings up a good point. Our lack of offense in that game was very similar to our struggles this year. I was done with KOK after that game watching him run on 3rd and long over and over. Running the same run play on first down, the audibles oh why did you have to remind me of that game? Is it a coincidence that he is back and mentoring Brian and we are seeing the same offensive tendencies? I think not.
You mean Ken Keefe? The one with no "O?"

'Cause that joke is hilarious again for some reason.

I dunno, maybe Akrum is just a little better than the guy playing running back in Tate's first year. When you take his catches out of the mix maybe the stats aren't that good for Stanley.

JC had a miserable first game on the road against N IL which Iowa won. 1 TD 0 INT
He lit it up against Syracuse with a 179.9 Rating, 4 TDs and 1 INT at home, 278 yards and 72% passing.
Against ISU on the road in a play not to lose he didn't pass much with 0 TD 0 INT game.
Against Wisc he did pass 37 times for 169 yards with 1 TD and no INTS. on the road
Against Indiana, he was 24-42, 308 yards and 137,6 rating on the road. 3TDs 1 Int in a loss.

5 games 3 on the road 9 TDs 2 INTs.

At this point 5 games in with the missed passes he reminds me a lot of Jake C.

Imagine Jake playing away from IC on his first game. He didn't have a Wyoming or a NTSU to play against. Syracuse was awful in 2007. IU was 7-6

Interesting comparison. Tate definitely had playmaking ability NS doesn't have but Nate does a great job hanging in the pocket and delivering throws. Not doubt his size aids in that. But it's a severely underrated skill that you either have it or don't. Some guys just can't help but to bail early when the pocket starts to collapse and Nate isn't one of those guys.

Fix the fumbling issues and hit a deep throw or 2 and HN will giddy. Thankfully those are correctable.

Yup which is why I'm not worried either. I actually was hoping he'd put his head down and try and score on that play he tried to throw it and fumbled. As big as he is I think he could get you tough yards like that sometimes. We probably don't want him to make a living doing that but once in a while situations can dictate that. He is certainly not afraid to stay in the pocket that's for sure. He's only going to get better the more PT he gets

Ah, 2004. The year we saw Haley's Comet- a once in a lifetime shift in offensive philosophy.

Still remember the way they came out against Michigan throwing to the TE (don't remember his name- Tony something?). Unfortunately, that was the last "holy shit, where did this come from?" moment I can remember.

I think maybe the Stanley/Stanzi comparison might be better. Similar style QBs, both struggled early in their first year starting, both started conference play 0-2. Hopefully Nate sees improvement throughout the year like Stanzi did in 2008...

I chose Tate because both he and Stanley are true sophs, in their first year of starting.

It's a good thing you didn't bail after that game. You would have missed what was, IMO, the most remarkable Iowa football season of my lifetime

It's a good thing you didn't bail after that game. You would have missed what was, IMO, the most remarkable Iowa football season of my lifetime
You know I can't bail. My first two games at Kinnick we're MSU and Michigan 1985. I was 9 years old with my Grandfather and I've been an addict ever since. I just wish we could be relevant on a more consistent basis.

Interesting. I think the comparisons between the two end there, but still good perspective for those that may have doubt about Stanley. Drew could make plays with his feet, that Stanley doesn't have naturally and had better accuracy. I think Nate has more natural ability as a pocket passer and may have more arm talent than any other QB at Iowa in my lifetime. Dude has an absolute cannon for an arm. Maybe we just need faster receivers and he'll start connecting on those deep balls! :)

I dunno, maybe Akrum is just a little better than the guy playing running back in Tate's first year. When you take his catches out of the mix maybe the stats aren't that good for Stanley.

I think you mean "the guys" playing running back. This was a bad year for running backs - we eventually were down to Sam Brownlee. But in his first five games, the bulk of Tate's handoffs were to Jermelle Lewis and Albert Young. Both of those guys laced 'em up in the league.

Do we pencil in a future career for Stanley that includes like one hour in NFL camp before a long Canadian career and slow maturation process then maybe coaching later?

Latest posts