"Tastes great" vs "Less filling" in Hawkeye Nation

hawkeyes87

Remember those great Miller Lite commercials? My dad's best friend from childhood and at Iowa was a Miller advertising guy who worked on that campaign and had lots of great stories about being around that gang ( Uecker, Billy Martin, etc ).

Anyway, I'm applying the argument to Hawkeye football to summarize the never-ending debate on this board regarding the current state of the program. As in the commercial, there are pretty clearly 2 opposing arguments / groups here, neither of which are wrong.

The "less filling" group is the practical / rational / conservative ( maybe? ) side. "KF teams win more than they lose, and occasionally win a lot." Lost the game? Oh well, execution / bad luck. Lost back-to-back? Remember 2 years ago / last 15 years, etc. Always about the W's and L's. Nothing wrong with that outlook.

Now, those of us in the "tastes great" crowd are looking for a little more style / creativity / fire. We're not always "happy" with a win because, while it's better than losing, it's boring to watch. Almost beat #4? Great, but they didn't and they were inept on O for the majority. Nothing wrong with wanting a little more entertainment from the game.

Miller Lite satisfied both sides ( according to the commercials ). Hawkeye football is definitely more suited to the "less filling " crowd right now.

Maybe if we had this guy playing defense:

157533-10193632Fr.jpg

I'm in the let's let it play out crowd - we're 2 of the more difficult games on the schedule into the season. Iowa wins the next 3 and suddenly the TOSU game is pretty intense. Wisci drops a game, and suddenly, Iowa is back in the mix. Narratives change quickly in this sport.

Yeah, I don't get the gloom and doom. We've haven't played an October game yet. All games in Oct are meaningful (Nov, for the also-rans, not so much).

Remember those great Miller Lite commercials? My dad's best friend from childhood and at Iowa was a Miller advertising guy who worked on that campaign and had lots of great stories about being around that gang ( Uecker, Billy Martin, etc ).

Anyway, I'm applying the argument to Hawkeye football to summarize the never-ending debate on this board regarding the current state of the program. As in the commercial, there are pretty clearly 2 opposing arguments / groups here, neither of which are wrong.

The "less filling" group is the practical / rational / conservative ( maybe? ) side. "KF teams win more than they lose, and occasionally win a lot." Lost the game? Oh well, execution / bad luck. Lost back-to-back? Remember 2 years ago / last 15 years, etc. Always about the W's and L's. Nothing wrong with that outlook.

Now, those of us in the "tastes great" crowd are looking for a little more style / creativity / fire. We're not always "happy" with a win because, while it's better than losing, it's boring to watch. Almost beat #4? Great, but they didn't and they were inept on O for the majority. Nothing wrong with wanting a little more entertainment from the game.

Miller Lite satisfied both sides ( according to the commercials ). Hawkeye football is definitely more suited to the "less filling " crowd right now.

Since want you "want" in a football program has absolutely no bearing on what is or what you get - maybe you should hitch your fan wagon to a team that already meets your expectations and desires.

Since want you "want" in a football program has absolutely no bearing on what is or what you get - maybe you should hitch your fan wagon to a team that already meets your expectations and desires.

By the literal definition of this statement: "Since want you "want" in a football program has absolutely no bearing on what is or what you get...", it would be impossible for anyone to ever get what they want in any football program.

By the literal definition of this statement: "Since want you "want" in a football program has absolutely no bearing on what is or what you get...", it would be impossible for anyone to ever get what they want in any football program.

Why so? The OP stated that he wants "a little more style / creativity / fire" from a football program.

I don't really know what that looks like to him but apparently there must be some program out there that already fits the bill by which he made a comparison and judged Iowa's program by.

Instead of hoping Iowa will change to match his wants I'm merely suggesting he saddle up with a program that already meets his desire for more style/creativity/fire.

Instead of hoping Iowa will change to match his wants I'm merely suggesting he saddle up with a program that already meets his desire for more style/creativity/fire.
Nah. Born and graduated a Hawkeye.

Plus, if I "saddle up" with a different program I run the risk that they won't have fan sites with members capable of such profound insights as "well if you don't like it you can leave".

I dont drink.

Latest posts