tale of two quarterbacks

H

herkette

We have two talented quarterbacks in the Iowa football program, however they are very different regarding their style of play and personalities. They both bring great things to this program but there is one that should and deserves to be the starter next season.

Lets start with CJB. Yes, he has a cannon of an arm. Yes, he is very athletic. Yes, he has the capability of being a star qb. But what he doesn't have is the maturity. He doesn't listen to the plays Kirk and Greg Davis call. Instead he almost always throws the ball all the way down field and half of those throws end up in the hands of the other team. NOT OKAY. He also has no patience. He rushes plays and those plays usually end up in sacks or interception or no gain of yards. On anther note of maturity, any player who doesn't have the courage to go talk to his coach about wanting playing time doesn't deserve playing time. If you have to have you country song writing dad go on some radio talk show and threaten that if you don't get playing time you will transfer. That's pathetic and completely immature. He is a grown adult and should be taking care of these situations himself, not running to his daddy because he didn't get what he wanted.

Now on to Rudock. Great player. Great person. Great athlete. Has patience, knowledge and awesome leadership. We wouldn't have gotten through half of the games this year or last without Jake as the QB. Jake's numbers don't lie. He has dropped his total interceptions from last year to this year significantly which clearly shows tremendous progress. And his passing game has improved a lot as well. He is a smart player, he's a pre-med and microbiology major for goodness sake. He knows when we need to run the ball and when we need to throw the ball. He listens to his coaches, which is what every good player should do. He gets the team going and keeps them calm in situations where they need to focus and step up their game. His throwing game could be stronger and that it something he has been working on. He has also been the starter for TWO YEARS. He has earned it way more then CJB.

So, who should be the Iowa QB?
Rudock. Jake knows the offense more than CJ and has been doing it for 2 years now. He has clearly earned it. But at the Taxslayer bowl we saw something different. We saw a breakdown in the program due to wimpy coaches who were in fear of losing a good quarterback. They put him in solely so that he would not leave. That is complete bs and we all know it. Anyone who needs their daddy to threaten a program should not be our quarterback.

So, this leads to the question:

What is Jake Rudock's signature win?

Nebraska 2013?

Ohio State Moral victory 2013?

Welcome to HN. So are you JR's sister or girlfriend, or CJ's scorned ex-girlfriend, jumping in to sway what the eyeball test provided, or just tra-la-la-ing?

Quote from OP "He doesn't listen to the plays Kirk and Greg Davis call. Instead he almost always throws the ball all the way down field and half of those throws end up in the hands of the other team. NOT OKAY."

Now how do you know what plays are called. And CJ doesn't always throw long bombs and a 50% interception rate, well that is wrong and a bad exaggeration.

Jake was great in 2013 but average in 2014 and very inconsistent. CJ showed what he can do this year and it is not throwing at a 50% interception rate and he can throw the short and intermediate length passes very well with touch. If Jake stays next year there is always a good chance that he plays some as CJ will run the ball and could get nicked up or worse (hope not).

Yours is a minority position OP. Rudock didn't improve any that I saw from last year and may have regressed. I wish that CJ had a year of playing experience under his belt for next year.

Yours is a minority position OP. Rudock didn't improve any that I saw from last year and may have regressed. I wish that CJ had a year of playing experience under his belt for next year.

^^ so true, or at least if CJ would have have several drives in the ISU, Wisky, Nebby games, and at Maryland.

If the coaches would have just used CJ more during those times when Jake and the offense went into hibernation like during the 4 games listed above.

The OP and Kirk see eye to eye on players deserving to start future games soley on the fact that they started past games. I'm also not sure what it means to say "we wouldn't have made it through half the games without Rudock". Would we have just forfeit those games halfway through?

If CJ wrecklessly throws deep every play and throws interceptions on half of those, he must have about 30 INT's on the year. Maybe more when you add in all the times he "rushs plays and throws interceptions when he actually avoids getting sacked".

Likely that OP is an alt - member since November but 1st post.

Likely that OP is just trying to stir things up.

OP's post starts out like...hmmm wonder if this is someone inside the program. Then goes on to make stupid, gross generalizations which are articulated in a way consistent with a teenager.

nothing new here.

Instead he almost always throws the ball all the way down field and half of those throws end up in the hands of the other team. NOT OKAY.
He had 2 interceptions on 92 attempts, go away.

And what does being a microbiology major have to do with football? Absolutely nothing.

I'm a believer that starting positions should be earned. That said, I didn't see enough out of either starter to say that they hands down deserve to be starting next year.

KF has always desired a conservative offense. Play field position. Take time off the clock. That was reiterated in his presser of a few days ago. I'll paraphrase Kirk from his presser: 'Iowa had tremendous consistency during the Norm and Ken years at Iowa. Consistency hasn't been achieved much since'. My thoughts: What, with 2014's offense being the 4th highest in yardage and 7h highest in points in the KF era made it 'chopped liver'/inconsistent, huh Kirk?

We also know KF controls Iowa's offense.. as well as every other squad of the team. Even when he says he's distracted from the day to day.

Last edited:
He had 2 interceptions on 92 attempts, go away.

And what does being a microbiology major have to do with football? Absolutely nothing.
You go away. Most if not all of CJ's pass attempts were in passing situations where the opponent knew Iowa had to throw... and employed pass defenses like nickel or dime packages. KF likes Jake because KF likes conservative offense. PERIOD.

Last edited:

Latest posts