Tale of Two Coaches: Ferentz vs Mangino

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Please stick to the facts here (I know what is coming)

KU Benched TODD REESING with 7 minutes left and down just two scores to Texas Tech: LINK

Meanwhile, Ferentz never considers benching Stanzi, and the Hawks go from down 10 in the fourth quarter to winning by 18.

Mangino is just two weeks out from pimping Reesing as a Heisman candidate

Ferentz would be a tremendous poker player. His facial expressions are always clam, he never panics and he plays the odds. He wouldn't be the guy to go all in or make outragous raises, but when he did he would fold the table holding a 10 high.

Yesterday, he knew there still 3 aces in the deck so he stayed in the game even though the stakes were getting uncomfortable.

Obviously, hindsight is an amazing thing, but I think that KF's calm approach works very well with this team. He left RS in, and he went out and made some great plays.

I think that decisions like that can impact the "here and now," but can also impact the next three weeks, in terms of confidence.

I'm happy that Ricky stayed in and once again stunned the boo birds.

I don't think you can draw any comparison between the two, no way, no how. Ferentz outshines Mangino in every aspect of coaching. I think it's great that we are over a decade into having Ferentz as a coach and he STILL surprises on a weekly basis. Iowa football and we fans have gotten very lucky with the last two coaches! IMHO I would not trade these guys for ANYONE.

366 days and counting! (Like the mantra Jon!)

Mangino and the B12 by nature are more apt to roll the dice or make a move like this...there is no defense to fall back on and if your QB is not putting up numbers you are sunk.

I love Stanzi and even I would have thought about benching him. I told my wife that Stanzi just doesn't have it today maybe they should start warming up Vanden Berg. KF didn't even have Vanden Berg warm up! The guy has stones. This is why I will never second guess Ferentz. Obviously he is much, much smarter than me (and every Hawkeye fan for that matter)

Kirk always stands by his man. We are not that far off from him standing by Jake when
the losses were mounting and the natives were getting restless. Coach doesn't make
decisions because the fans want him to. Rick knew that coach had his back and he would allow him to redeem himself. Just like coach would have left him in the game if he
threw 2 more picks. It is a confidence thing. With Jake, it didn't work. With Rick, it did Saturday and let's hope this week we can all breath a little easier.

FWIW, there have been other games where benching a QB just about did the trick - see Michigan vs Iowa. Perhaps the only flaw in that plan for Michigan was that they didn't have enough time left in the game.

Sometimes going to the backup is the spark a team needs. Sometime it isn't.

Stanzi is our quarterback and I will support him. I also agree with the decision to leave him in; however, I also want to be realistic here. Outside of the last drive against Michigan State and two throws to wide open receivers that went for touchdowns to start the 4th quarter vs. Indiana and Ricky has not been very impressive.