Takeaways: No. 1 Purdue Bests Hawkeyes

Need to be built like an NBA team to beat Purdue consistently this year. Get Edey switched every possession.

I didn't see the game. Did Franzilla use a timeout when Purdue went on a big run? I don't get his philosophy. OSU went on a run and no TO. Knight Davis and many coaches give their players a breather and go over strategy.

With respect, it is really really F'ing hard to get to the Final Four. Fran has never even sniffed it. Mr. Davis didn't make it. Iowa has only made it once in my lifetime and we have a good program. Every year, probably 35 or so teams enter the NCAA tourney with a legitimate shot at making the Final Four. The odds are so against you, just statistically, let alone how fickle basketball games can be in a one and done tourney. The fact that Painters teams have never done it is not an indictment against him as much as a testament to how hard it is to do unless you are a cheating blue blood like Kansas or Kentucky.

Whether or not Purdue's current squad makes it to the Final Four or not, it is a Final Four caliber team without a doubt. They are ranked number 1 in the country and kept that title even after they lost to Indiana. If the season ended today, they would be the number 1 overall seed. Unless Edey gets injured, that team has as good a shot as anyone to make a deep run. That was a good team and Iowa played hard, but was out-talented. Iowa loses to Purdue 7 out of 10 times on a neutral court IMHO.

Meh, Iowa loses to Purdue 6 out of 10 times on a neutral court.

There are no great teams or great conferences this year in college basketball despite what some Big 12 observers tell you. Wouldn't be shocked in the least if Purdue gets bounced in the first weekend of the tournament. Edey plodding along in a game in the mid 50(s), we can all see an 8th seed taking them out and they are going to get that type of game early in the tournament.

As I stated before, this feels like a typical Keady/Painter team to me. Great regular season, flame out in the tournament. I'm a Iowa fan, I'm not in position to throw shade at any of that, but I am not impressed I have seen this story too many times.

Meh, Iowa loses to Purdue 6 out of 10 times on a neutral court.

There are no great teams or great conferences this year in college basketball despite what some Big 12 observers tell you. Wouldn't be shocked in the least if Purdue gets bounced in the first weekend of the tournament. Edey plodding along in a game in the mid 50(s), we can all see an 8th seed taking them out and they are going to get that type of game early in the tournament.

As I stated before, this feels like a typical Keady/Painter team to me. Great regular season, flame out in the tournament. I'm a Iowa fan, I'm not in position to throw shade at any of that, but I am not impressed I have seen this story too many times.
Iowa is 7-6 in the Big. They are going to be almost even with 9-2 Purdue? A team that has lost 1 time in the Big on the road??

Iowa is 7-6 in the Big. They are going to be almost even with 9-2 Purdue? A team that has lost 1 time in the Big on the road??

Nope. I don't think there is a huge talent gap between Purdue and about eight B1G teams, despite their record. March could prove me wrong, but their track record is the #1 indicator that I won't be. We shall see in a few weeks.

Nope. I don't think there is a huge talent gap between Purdue and about eight B1G teams, despite their record. March could prove me wrong, but their track record is the #1 indicator that I won't be. We shall see in a few weeks.
The b3st read is a summation of the overall record. Not an early exit or a loss here and there.

The b3st read is a summation of the overall record. Not an early exit or a loss here and there.
Maybe. But there are still examples of certain coaches who were tough tournament outs regardless of record. Valvano, Denny Crum, and Dale Brown all come to mind. Chris Beard in the modern era.

Then there's the opposite, amd Painter and Fran are on that list. Lute and Boeheim both had natty's and final four appearances, but some of their best teams flamed out in the first weekend.

You have to be a different coach in tournament conditions. Maybe you shorten the bench, albeit you play guys in foul trouble, maybe you call timeout quicker, maybe bad luck (like running into an individual player having a career day or a hot shooting team for one day) is magnified.

That's why it's called March Madness. And until they do something stupid and crazy, like make it double elimination, it always will be.

I agree. Painter hasn't been a hard out. I was referring to Iowa beating Purdue 4.out of 10 though. Purdue is the most complete Big 10 and not close. Iowa will have a tough time at Disassembly Hall too.

Maybe. But there are still examples of certain coaches who were tough tournament outs regardless of record. Valvano, Denny Crum, and Dale Brown all come to mind. Chris Beard in the modern era.

Then there's the opposite, amd Painter and Fran are on that list. Lute and Boeheim both had natty's and final four appearances, but some of their best teams flamed out in the first weekend.

You have to be a different coach in tournament conditions. Maybe you shorten the bench, albeit you play guys in foul trouble, maybe you call timeout quicker, maybe bad luck (like running into an individual player having a career day or a hot shooting team for one day) is magnified.

That's why it's called March Madness. And until they do something stupid and crazy, like make it double elimination, it always will be.

^^^^ This is the smart version of what I was trying to say.

You have a 7'4 unathletic center plodding along on a team that doesn't shoot the 3 very well and can't/won't get into transition and force tempo. There is no way they can win 4 in a row to get to the Final 4.

This is a good Purdue team that can win a bunch of conference games, but this isn't a special team that cracks the code.

Last edited:
I agree. Painter hasn't been a hard out. I was referring to Iowa beating Purdue 4.out of 10 though. Purdue is the most complete Big 10 and not close. Iowa will have a tough time at Disassembly Hall too.

If you think there is a huge talent gap between Iowa and Purdue then I don't know what to tell you.

If you think there is a huge talent gap between Iowa and Purdue then I don't know what to tell you.
I guess you don't. Iowa has no dominating big man is the biggest difference. All the difference.

Last edited:

Latest posts