Take the thug ball back to Champaign, Groce

LawVHawk

Have not seen such dirty play since a couple of Izzo's teams a few years ago. Glad the refs managed to call most of it, but still. Other B1G teams will need to be on guard in Champaign.

And Groce, you are quickly becoming the most hated coach in the conference. Considering its a league that includes Bo Ryan, that's saying something. What a tool.

Have not seen such dirty play since a couple of Izzo's teams a few years ago. Glad the refs managed to call most of it, but still. Other B1G teams will need to be on guard in Champaign.

And Groce, you are quickly becoming the most hated coach in the conference. Considering its a league that includes Bo Ryan, that's saying something. What a tool.

Yeah. Listened to radio and I could tell even through Dolph that the plan was to come out and try to thugball Iowa.

I say even through Dolph's vocal cords because:

1. he had the game being played in Kinnick
2. said Oglesby missed a dunk
3. every time said Rayvonte Rice's name said "former Bulldog transfer". Okay, I get it the first time. but he is either a former Bulldog or a Bulldog transfer. he's not a former Bulldog transfer.

Anyway, in spite of much opaqueness it was clear Groce wants to be Lil' Izzo and game planned some thugball.

Groce's crew seemed to do more hand-checking, holding, pushing under the basket, hacking across the hands and arms trying to strip the ball than the usual B1G team. The stripes caught a lot of it but Gabe got pushed a few times and as a result missed a lay-up and a put-back, and going for a rebounds, and it was not called. The clincher was Groce's incredulous reactions when his bigs got called for pushing under the basket on two consecutive FT attempts. If I recall correctly, the original foul also was for pushing under the basket.

At times Fran has been blamed for his antics distracting the team, and I think that is what Groce and his staff did last night. They spent most of the game and timeouts yelling and gesturing towards the officials instead of coaching up their players. Maybe he is just in over his head coaching in the big ten, but I hope they keep him instead of bringing in a coach who could get that program back to an elite level.

illini-iu-05.gif

grocestalking.gif

qo2aM3V.gif

illini-indiana-2.gif

It was a very physical game. But we played through it. We had about a 10 minute scoring lull in the 1st half but we kept playing great defense. Jok and Uthoff were missing open 3 pointers and we still made 6 and shot over 40% from 3. There were some things happening in this game which we haven't seen in past losses. This was a Michigan State/Wisconsin type of game and we played through it and won. I like it...a lot!

The arm bar crap with a vice grip and twist could break arms and separate shoulders. It actually appeared they were trying to work on White's right shoulder a couple times.

Bush league stuff.

Went over and perused the IU boards, to them it was Hawks who were the dirty team. LOL

Woody didn't even poke any eyeballs!

I gotta say, basketball is more fun when their's a legit reason to hate Illinois. It's been awhile since I've been able to muster much hate for them considering neither of us has been very good the last few years.

The honeymoon is over for Groce and if they don't make the NCAA's I could see some serious heat on him. Personally I hope he stays because I don't think he's a very good coach at all.

Well, they hate us and we hate them. They came in as bullies and we punched back. Hard.

It was a beautiful win for Iowa. Groce runs his mouth too much but doesn't have the team yet to back it up.

They are recruiting well so watch out in the future....Illinois can be very good

The Illini big men were clearly trying to provoke Woody early in the game. It didn't work.

Apparently, when Groce was a child he did not read "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"

Screaming at the refs actually works sometimes (for Ryan, Izzo, and even Fran) when you do it 2-3 times a game instead of after every single foul.

The honeymoon is over for Groce and if they don't make the NCAA's I could see some serious heat on him. Personally I hope he stays because I don't think he's a very good coach at all.

Where in the heck did this goon COME from? Had to watch his antics live at Carver last year. Yelling, hollering, over-the-top gesturing, stomping the floor like some kind of wild man from Borneo. What a joker!

Latest posts