Tailgating Season

I looking for something as crazy or more so than Myrtle, with less police. Does it exist?

I looking for something as crazy or more so than Myrtle, with less police. Does it exist?

Yeah, I don't think it exists. I have been going to Myrtle for about 10 years (tailgated in the grass until they closed it down for "safety"). I still enjoyed the paved lot up top until last year. The cops just came in and sucked away all the tailgating fun last year. We almost got kicked out just for listening to music. So we are probably going to Finkbine Golf Course this year, see how that goes. Hopefully the cops aren't as numerous there.

I'll rate Finkbine Commuter lot as we tailgated there a few times in 2006 (we were looking for a replacement for Myrtle).

Craziness: 3
Average Age: 30's
Price: $15
Lot Opens: 7pm Friday Night

Overall Finkbine Commuter lot was ok. We may end up going back there again someday. It's not crazy at all, but maybe us Myrtle nomads will end up there and turn it into a good place to tailgate. I just want semi-loud music, flippy cup, bag toss, and some chicks to look at. That's all. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears.

Yeah, I don't think it exists. I have been going to Myrtle for about 10 years (tailgated in the grass until they closed it down for "safety"). I still enjoyed the paved lot up top until last year. The cops just came in and sucked away all the tailgating fun last year. We almost got kicked out just for listening to music. So we are probably going to Finkbine Golf Course this year, see how that goes. Hopefully the cops aren't as numerous there.

I'll rate Finkbine Commuter lot as we tailgated there a few times in 2006 (we were looking for a replacement for Myrtle).

Craziness: 3
Average Age: 30's
Price: $15
Lot Opens: 7pm Friday Night

Overall Finkbine Commuter lot was ok. We may end up going back there again someday. It's not crazy at all, but maybe us Myrtle nomads will end up there and turn it into a good place to tailgate. I just want semi-loud music, flippy cup, bag toss, and some chicks to look at. That's all. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears.

Completely agree with you about the Cops being a tad bit over bearing. It went from telling you rules and leaving you alone unless you were a serious problem to looking to bust people for every little thing. Out of curiosity did the music thing happen at the Michigan game. I saw a group almost get in trouble for the exact same thing you mentioned. The cop was pulling out his city ordinance and everything.

Yes, it was the Michigan game. It was a short dude with little brother syndrome. Obviously being the little kid his whole life he thinks his badge gives him authority to be an *** for no reason. They came up to us out of nowhere an immediately started yelling at us to turn off the music.

I saw that incident at the Michigan Game last year too. You never got flippie cup going did you?

Completely agree with you about the Cops being a tad bit over bearing. It went from telling you rules and leaving you alone unless you were a serious problem to looking to bust people for every little thing. Out of curiosity did the music thing happen at the Michigan game. I saw a group almost get in trouble for the exact same thing you mentioned. The cop was pulling out his city ordinance and everything.

The Michigan Homecoming game was the reason i started this thread. Was the police presence for that game larger than the other home games. I was trying to give Myrtle the benefit of the doubt and gave it a 7 for crazieness, but the police presence almost forced me to give it a 6. Feel free to rerate Myrtle, i would be interested to get others opinions.

The Michigan Homecoming game was the reason i started this thread. Was the police presence for that game larger than the other home games. I was trying to give Myrtle the benefit of the doubt and gave it a 7 for crazieness, but the police presence almost forced me to give it a 6. Feel free to rerate Myrtle, i would be interested to get others opinions.
The police presence was greater for the UM game which was to be expected. But the other games were kind of bad too IMO. I still thought it deserved a 7 because it was fun. The year before I would have rated it an eight. I personally like how friendly the people who tailgate at Myrtle are in comparison to the other spots I have tailgated in. Granted some of that has to do with drinking a little more.

I'm not ready to give up on Myrtle just yet though like the other poster. It is fun but if the police get much worse it might be time to look elsewhere. Even if it is a more laid back atmosphere.

Tailgating season is almost upon us. I would like to get a review of the different lots around the stadium. I would like to include a craziness factor 1-10 (1 being Grandma forgot the silverware, a 10 being streaking co-eds), average age of tailgaters, parking passes only, price to get into lot, and when the lot opens.

I'll write a few down, feel free to add to it.
Finkbine:
Craziness- ?
Avg. Age:
Price (car/SUV):
Lot Opens:
Dental:
Craziness- ?
Avg. Age:
Price (car/SUV):
Lot Opens:
Myrtle Ct.
Craziness- 7
Avg. Age: 25ish
Price (car/SUV):
Lot Opens: Friday @ ?

All those lots are lame. Almost all lots are lame, compared to what they use to be. There is however, consistent fun with lots of partying anywhere and everywhere.
Now that may sound contradictory, but that's the truth. You use to be able to look at all the main lots and it would be a good video for television. A true college football event, at its best. Packed with people having a whole lot O fun!
Part of the reason it doesn't look like that, as much, could be that the Iowa fanbase has aged significantly in the last 25 years?
Part of that is because the university has thrown the rich in the lots closest to the stadium spreading out the lifelong season ticket holders. They also ran a road right thru the one of the best tailgate spots (west of the stadium) in the Big Ten, not to mention the country.
Part of that is because the university has done everything in their power to take away the party. They have failed. Prohibition failed. It's impossible to stop.

Iowa is still a good time on gameday. The university has done all that it can to stop the good times. There really isn't much more they can do, without going total nazi on us, which would backfire...

This season the great time could return, as Iowa City is going to be the place to be come this fall! I can't wait! Go Hawks!

Cyclone Tailgating > Hawkeye Tailgaiting

Its really not even close.

Hawkeye Football > Cyclone Football

Its really not even close...especially when it comes to tradition. But hey! In a few years when the big 12 implodes the clones will start contending for MVC titles!!! yippppie

NOW on the tailgating in LAMES. Here it is. BIG GIGANTIC WALMART parking lot with a bunch of run down school busses. Hordes of red haired farm kids doing beer bongs. Not a tree in sight and no scenery. Backdrop? Big ugly soviet era style concrete stadium. (that is NOT and never will be bowled in). Yup Ames is the center of the universe...if you are a cracker barrel type.

Latest posts